Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default I'm a fan of the Villains

I like the villains more than the heroes are there others fans like me or am i in the minority

I can't say overall but for me it really depends on the villain.

I for one really like Black Adam and Sinestro but that is because there have been enough runs to explore them as more then just villains. However I'm not going to like characters such as joker, Lex luthor, black manta, and etc. over their counterparts.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think villains can sometimes have greater superficial appeal, but in reality what most people enjoy is the dynamic between villain and hero. I think the biggest test would be: do you enjoy reading stories told from the villain's perspective than stories told from the heroe's perspective? Granted, it is a shallower pool.

I think the appeal of villains is very interesting. What does it say about us when we enjoy a villain? Depends on the person and the villain and the particular reasons, but this is a fun read.

https://www.wired.com/2012/07/why-do...-fascinate-us/

Mighty Member

I like the heroes more, but it wouldn't be the same without the villains.

1) Batman; Two Face, Scarecrow, Riddler...I'm sick of the joker.

2) Superman; Lex Luthor, Brainiac & of course Darkseid

3) Wonder Woman; Circe, Cheetah, Giganta

4) Aquaman; Black Mantis

5) The Flash; Captain Cold, Golden Glider, Weather Wizard, Captain Boomerang... I'm tired of Reverse Flash though, he's basically just a clone in a yellow suite.

6) Green Lantern; Sinestro (The only real classic GL villain outside of Star Sapphire)

7) Green Arrow; Count Vertigo, Merlyn, Slingshot, onomatopoeia

8) Legion of Super Heroes; Time Trapper & Legion of Super Villains.

hmmm so this is what it is like to spend hours on CBR

7)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't think there's a villain I like more than the heroes because they did a relatively good job not to make the heroes annoying, even people that in real life I would find really annoying

Wait, there is one

Kite-Man, hell yeah. Coz he's been treated badly by all sides.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

A good villain can be a lot of fun, but I can't recall ever rooting for one to beat the hero.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie90 View Post
    I like the villains more than the heroes are there others fans like me or am i in the minority
    No good superhero story without a good villain.

Have you read "DC's Beach Blanket Bad Guys Summer Special", very fun stories on various vilains.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm also a fan of the villains.

BANNED

To be fair villains in DC is quite great, to be honest.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

All the Batman rogues, the Flash ones, Ostrander's Suicide Squad and Simone's Secret Six

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

It's funny, but I can't think of a villain in any fictional world I have liked longer than the Joker (going back to the late '60s with the Cesar Romero version and his cartoon double from Filmation).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    A good villain can be a lot of fun, but I can't recall ever rooting for one to beat the hero.
    This. They're interesting, but I want them to lose. Frankly, I don't like seeing murderous jackasses win. There's enough of that in the real world.

Jack Graham wrote an article quite some time ago on the value of villains. His point was something like, since they stand against the norms of the story, sometimes thinking about them from a more critical point of view can illustrate injustices in what the story, or the writers, consider to be moral or just. For example, it doesn't take much examination of Magneto and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants illustrate the reality that frankly, an oppressed minority whose very existence is criminalized, are justified in using violence against a system that wants them dead or docile.

As far as DC characters go, I think the most interesting villain is, I don't know, probably Black Adam. Black Adam, in his contemporary form, basically illustrates the inherent vigilantism of super-heroes, the idea that they do things their own way and don't really answer to anyone - and that they kind of have to be that way, or else they'd just be super-police or soldiers, and subject to all the same systemic problems that plague militarized organizations. But at the same time of course, Black Adam is an unrepentant killer, which illustrates that being a remorseless killer is very much a possibility for someone like that, who "answers to no one, not even, I think, to God."
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member

I find the Joker and Luthor to be a total bore. The Batman Who Laughs is an interesting Joker variant but typical Joker and Luthor - boring. Best Joker moments are when in some alternate U, they just kill him and cut the crap.

Screw the goodie two shoes, fly both of them into the sun and be done with it.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie90 View Post
    Just for you Op... ME too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOnc6l7hu-0&t=138s

That line I think is why I feel like Captain Atom/The Monarch has the greatest potential arch of the Dc heroes. He's both.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.