Astonishing Member

Default Why do other heroes seem immoral in more recent X-Men stories?

Here is a big problem with current X-Men stories, they seem morally drag down other established super heroes to reinforce this whole "mutants vs. the rest of the world" narrative on the rest of the MU.

This wasn't the case in say the 80s or the 90s, but it seems like the case now. Wanda is now a genocidal maniac, ditto with Black bolt, Captain America comes off as somewhat irresponsible and a something of a dick in AvX (though frankly I thought both the X-Men and the Avengers were behaving like A-holes in that story). Does Cap act like this in own title? I don't think so, so really it seems like their involvement in X-Men related stories drags them down and makes them inconsistent regarding how they have traditional been portrayed and how they are portrayed in their own titles.

Should Ms. Marvel be ashamed that she got her powers from T-mist, should she become super angsty? Should Spidey and Daredevil start murdering mutants, just to reinforce the "mutants vs. the rest of the world" narrative?

I'm beginning to think the X-Men are better off in their own universe and the rest of the MU would be better for it too.

Well, im totally waiting that SHIELD blows up Ms. Marvel's house while she is away in a mission.

And at least in AvX, the things was that the intent backfired.
    And im pretty sure that this has something to do with the movie rights.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Honestly I did not follow most of the X-Books pre-Secret Wars to my knowledge is minimal, but I get basic concepts of what was going on, mostly that most of those worries are stereotypes of how fans feel about certain characters more then what is in the books. Their are moments but they are not overarching as badly as we sometimes believe they are. X-Men is more muddy today to try to walk the tightrope of Scott's revolution is questionable but they are all still good and SHIELD is questionable but they are all still good too. It is running the common theme in other books that they other heroes and organizations are good, but the themes in most X-Books now try to walk them all to an edge but try to keep them good, but questionable while in the story.

It does not blend well IMO if you asked me, that is why teams of characters from 1 story of Marvel seem almost alien when used in an X-Title to play to these questionable story themes more. I could mostly be cause Bendis wrote the main stories and he is semi-famous for playing by his own rules. So that is IMO when things seem the most different. Not to make the non-mutant teams look bad, just to keep the themes of conflicts and tight-rope walking of the themes in the X-Books going while working with how the non-mutant teams really are, which gets to be a headache at times Universe wise. =/
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, im totally waiting that SHIELD blows up Ms. Marvel's house while she is away in a mission.
    If that happened it woud prove my point, that the X-Men narrative is trying to impose itself on other characters and reinforce this "us v. the rest of the world" narrative on characters it doesn't work for.

If SHIELD killed her family and Ms. Marvel became a super ansty anti hero in response, it would ruin the character and really make the Marvel line up of characters less unique overall.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Here is a big problem with current X-Men stories, they seem morally drag down other established super heroes to reinforce this whole "mutants vs. the rest of the world" narrative on the rest of the MU.

This wasn't the case in say the 80s or the 90s, but it seems like the case now. Wanda is now a genocidal maniac, ditto with Black bolt, Captain America comes off as somewhat irresponsible and a something of a dick in AvX (though frankly I thought both the X-Men and the Avengers were behaving like A-holes in that story). Does Cap act like this in own title? I don't think so, so really it seems like their involvement in X-Men related stories drags them down and makes them inconsistent regarding how they have traditional been portrayed and how they are portrayed in their own titles.

Should Ms. Marvel be ashamed that she got her powers from T-mist, should she become super angsty? Should Spidey and Daredevil start murdering mutants, just to reinforce the "mutants vs. the rest of the world" narrative?

I'm beginning to think the X-Men are better off in their own universe and the rest of the MU would be better for it too.
    More like Marvel forcing a narrative that only tentatively works for the x-men on other properties.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    More like Marvel forcing a narrative that only tentatively works for the x-men on other properties.
    Depends on how you look at it, but it seems like Cap and Wanda get to retain more of their traditional heroic personalities in their own titles then in any X-Men related events.

I think the problem is the X-Men's narrative has become both over arching and stagnant, so much so that it demands that other titles conform to the same narrative. Most humans seem to have an irrational genocidal hatred for mutants and there are extinction level events against mutants every couple of years. It is over arching yet so stagnant (humans never seem to become less like pure evil genocidal monsters) that it seems to demand that other heroes drop everything they are doing and try to with this crisis of mutant rights that will never get solved because the writers have no intention of solving it (or just making the human bigotry towards mutants a little more believable, not every bigot is a Hitler level manic). This demand of narrative uniformity makes the titles and characters less interesting (example: if Daredevil was dealing with mutant rights issues all the time, he wouldn't have time to go on crime nor type adventures and what makes him unique would be gone.)
    Last edited by The Overlord; 09-12-2015 at 09:55 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Depends on how you look at it, but it seems like Cap and Wanda get to retain more of their traditional heroic personalities in their own titles then in any X-Men related events.

I think the problem is the X-Men's narrative has become both over arching and stagnant, so much so that it demands that other titles conform to the same narrative. Most humans seem to have an irrational genocidal hatred for mutants and there are extinction level events against mutants every couple of years. It is over arching yet so stagnant (humans never seem to become less like pure evil genocidal monsters) that it seems to demand that other heroes drop everything they are doing and try to with this crisis of mutant rights that will never get solved because the writers have no intention of solving (or just making the human bigotry towards mutants a little more believable, not every bigot is a Hitler level manic). This demand of narrative uniformity makes the titles and characters less interesting (example" if Daredevil was dealing with mutant rights issues all the time, he wouldn't have time to go on crime nor type adventures and what makes him unique would be gone.)
    I miss Claremont and the other authors that showed some complexity. Bendis focused on the racist narrative with no development Wood and others showed humans being grateful. Storm's solo showed black people loving Storm and humans and mutants working well together.

Mighty Member

It sucks. Wish heroes were still heroes
    Cyclops was right