BANNED

Default ATTENTION "Classic" Marc Silvestri Fans, you might just really like... FRANK THORNE

As someone who only ever loved Silvestri's work pre Wolverine / Jim Leefication (yech) am BUZZING so much over this discovery. The resemblance is UNCANNY. I think Silvestri was straight out ripping off his style.

EVERYTHING Thorne draws is exciting! The storytelling is dramatic, strong in design. He is illustrating some short, simple stories in Korak for example... these are all drawn so complete. I don't feel "cheated" reading any of it. It feels like it hits all the necessary notes with the drawings.
    Even his own writing is pleasant to read, with a nice pacing, Ribit for example.

Last edited by DDD; 09-13-2015 at 10:13 PM.

BANNED

Red Sonja is likely is most known work amongst regular comic readers?

Thorne's good, but I would have never thought to compare him to Marc Silvestri. The "classic Silvestri" I remember is his X-Men run, which I thought always looked rushed and not as competent as those artists who preceded him on Claremont's run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Thorne's good, but I would have never thought to compare him to Marc Silvestri. The "classic Silvestri" I remember is his X-Men run, which I thought always looked rushed and not as competent as those artists who preceded him on Claremont's run.
    I think Silvestri was aiming for Frank Thorne. Anyhow, I'll accept Frank Thorne as my UXM Silvestri replacement.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Thorne is a massively underrated in general-- probably because his excellent work on Red Sonja was constantly overshadowed by even more excellent work on the Conan books by BWS and John Buscema. I'm not sure that Thorne was a major influence on Silvestri-- I think we could easily just as easily cite John Buscema, in my opinion, especially when he was inked by Alfredo Alcala-- but I can see it. One thing that's usefull to remember is that Silvestri's first regular job in comics was on Jim Owlsley/Alan Zelenetz [i]'s King Conan book. He was never really a superhero artist by inclination,but that's how you pay the bills.

One thing is certain: Silvestri's work has never looked as good as when Dan Green was his inker.

Amazing Member

I believe he also did the art for many issues of gold key's mighty samson book, back in the 1960's.