Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Late, Great Anthology Title

I really, really miss anthologies. There's just something so comic booky about them. I suppose it's because they have to be so expensive in order to get enough pages.

I'm wondering what ideas anyone has for certain titles and what they might look like. Let's assume a $4.99 price for 40 story pages. For me, I'm figuring three stories roughly broken down at 20 pages, 13 pages and 7 pages. With leads and backups ongoing or rotating as their popularity warrants. Here's my wishlist:

ADVENTURE COMICS--as one of DC's original titles I think it's a shame it doesn't currently exist. I'd have this be a traditional superhero title. I think some obvious candidates for inclusion right now are the Legion of Superheroes, Hawkman & Hawkgirl and the Atom, all of which are currently not in their own books (and should be).

HOUSE OF MYSTERY--this would be for the magic/supernatural/otherworldly-type characters. I might start off with Zatanna, Swamp Thing & Deadman.

STRANGE ADVENTURES--for more cosmic/sci-fi features. This would be a good place for Adam Strange, a character I'd love to see more focus on and this titles was his former home. And maybe since they're about to be homeless: Omega Men and Lobo.

As you can see I'm also a fan of the classic title. Thoughts about these titles? Any of your own?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I love the idea! I think if something could be done in the vein of WEDNESDAY COMICS, on a bit better paper, to try out new concepts or fresh takes on older stuff it would be a cool way to see what people take to.

Rad avatar, btw. I love Air Wave ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I love the idea! I think if something could be done in the vein of WEDNESDAY COMICS, on a bit better paper, to try out new concepts or fresh takes on older stuff it would be a cool way to see what people take to.

I loved Wednesday Comics.
    Too bad a sequel never materialized.
    It and Solo were both great ideas by Mark Chiarello. Unfortunately, both would have fared better at a company like Fantagraphics or Dark Horse where expectations aren't as high and artistic efforts in comics are more appreciated.

As for my ideas...
    I would do 100 page anthilogies for 7.99.

DETECTIVE COMICS
    Batman by Snyder and Capullo
    Harley Quinn
    Nightwing
    Batgirl
    Batman and Robin

ACTION COMICS
    Superman by Geoff Johns and Lopresti.
    Supergirl
    Superboy
    Legion of Super-Heroes
    Superman, second story by lesser known creators

ALL-STAR COMICS
    Justice League by Geoff Johns and Fabok
    Justice Society
    Aquaman
    Teen Titans
    Justice League Unlimited, basically any other League- Dark, United, America, International

ADVENTURE COMICS
    Green Lantern
    Flash
    Green Arrow
    Hawkman
    Green Lantern Corps focusing on John, Kyle and Guy

SENSATION COMICS
    Wonder Woman
    Huntress
    Power Girl
    Vixen
    Wonder Woman

WORLD'S FINEST COMICS
    Batman/Superman
    Red Tornado
    Cyborg
    Atom
    Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman

DC COMICS PRESENTS
    Superman team-ups
    Firestorm
    Captain Atom
    Suicide Squad
    Batman team-ups

DC COMICS SHOWCASE
    Shazam!
    Manhunter (J'onn J'onzz)
    Dibney Detective Agency (Ralph and Sue)
    Doom Patrol
    Superfriends (Super Buddies)

TANGENT COMICS
    Swamp Thing
    Zatanna
    Constantine
    Books of Magic
    Shadowpact
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-14-2015 at 04:00 PM.

OK so after looking at that poll about cancelled titles I think Lobo may need to go away for awhile...but Omega Men definitely has a place in STRANGE ADVENTURES. Just need a third series. And maybe there's a place for Spectre in HOUSE OF MYSTERY with Gotham By Midnight being cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

I'm all for it if they would sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Air Wave is obviously the best choice to lead EVERY title lol.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I loved Wednesday Comics.
    Too bad a sequel never materialized.
    It and Solo were both great ideas by Mark Chiarello. Unfortunately, both would have fared better at a company like Fantagraphics or Dark Horse where expectations aren't as high and artistic efforts in comics are more appreciated.

As for my ideas...

(snip)
    This is the future of comics. You could even raise the price point a bit. More intuitive, more exciting, and, I'd think, actually has a chance in hell of selling in non-direct markets (gas stations, airports, anywhere with a magazine stand). Of course, continue collected editions of individual titles. I really feel like it'll be a race to this model for the big two.
    Last edited by Cipher; 09-15-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    This is the future of comics. You could even raise the price point a bit. More intuitive, more exciting, and, I'd think, actually has a chance in hell of selling in non-direct markets (gas stations, airports, anywhere with a magazine stand). Of course, continue collected editions of individual titles. I really feel like it'll be a race to this model for the big two.
    I agree.
    Other things:

1. The format would increase visibility of lesser known characters.
    2. The format would be more appealing to bookstores and mass market retailers.
    3. They could release the indivual chapters same-day digitally to guage the popularity of each individual piece, and drop a feature to add another in future issues.
    4. They could possibly release them bi-monthly to extend shelf life, and also appeal more to mass market retailers, much like Archie often does their digests.
    5. They could still do TPBs that collect the more popular features.

But the important fact will be- they each have to have an "important" character, with new stories by top talent.
    People may balk the idea of anthologies, but put a first-run Snyder Batman, Johns Justice League or Jim Lee anything in it and they will buy it.

Oh... and the most important thing:
    6. It would never run the risk of cancellation. Individual features would be dropped and replaced to adapt to reader interest, but the title, itself, would not be affected.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-15-2015 at 12:08 PM.

BANNED

You would have to convince people that something "important" was going to happen in the book, though.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    You would have to convince people that something "important" was going to happen in the book, though.
    Everything would still be serialized. It's just the Japanese model.

The brilliance is that even John Q "I liked The Dark Knight" could be convinced to impulse purchase a $12 Bat-family anthology if it were on a magazine stand (can you imagine if he were waiting for a plane?), getting him to do the most mythical thing of all -- jump into monthly comics, and even be exposed to non-A-list IPs.

Anything that lets mainstream comics move out of the direct-market model is the best thing; really the only viable thing.

An option to buy individual digital chapters sounds like a great companion to that model. Trades would still need to exist for archival purchases; again, it's a pretty easy take on the Japanese system.
    Last edited by Cipher; 09-15-2015 at 01:17 PM.

BANNED

Television has the same problem. In the early days of the medium there were many great anthology shows, such as Playhouse 90, but that genre faded. People want continuing characters. If they don't get that, they lose interest.

I'm a big fan of the first 10 seasons of Gunsmoke, which were very noirish. They did stuff 60 years ago that wouldn't be allowed in today's Oprahfied world. Anyway, there was a lot of behind-the-scenes upheaval on the show and some new people were brought in to run it for the last 10 seasons. At that time no show had run so long, and star James Arness was worried that people were going to get tired of the same characters. So he sat down with producer John Mantley, and they came up with the idea of turning Gunsmoke into an anthology series, but without acknowledging doing it.

The episodes began to revolve around the guest stars, and this gave the writers new material to work with every week. Mantley said years later, "We were really doing Playhouse 90, but we didn't say that."

I think something like that could be done in a comics series. Make it an anthology by emphasizing the guest stars in each story. But don't say that that's what you're doing.

BANNED

Something you guys are not mentioning are the old titles like Journey Into Mystery, which had no recurring characters before it became a Thor title. Now that's a REAL anthology book -- one that's dedicated to a genre and nothing else.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

i'd love to see DC do a modern anthology book, maybe one for the b & c list characters that can't hold a solo title.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

I love this idea

I think Action Comics and Detective Comics should each be centered around different aspects of Metropolis and Gotham respectively. They'd have one main feature and a rotating back-up feature so different characters could be fleshed out.
    I'd also launch Sensation Comis as a similar title centered on WW's world and supporting cast.
    Additionally, I think the three titles the OP mentioned would be very cool to see, so I'll just echo his suggestions.

EDIT:

If I adopted the structure of three stories per issue like the OP, my series would be as follows:

ACTION COMICS:
    Main feature (20 pages): Continuity-light Superman stories (a run similar to Pak's but without all the crossovers)
    Second feature (13 pages): Steel's solo adventures
    Third feature (7 pages): Lois Lane featuring Jimmy and the Daily Planet

DETECTIVE COMICS:
    Main feature: Self-contained stories focusing on Batman's cases.
    Second feature: Gotham Central
    Third feature: a spotlight on the younger heroes like Spoiler, Tim and Harper Row

SENSATION COMICS:
    Main feature: Wonder Woman's self-contained adventures, focus on building her rogue's gallery
    Second feature: Rotating spotlight on other female heroes like Vixen
    Third feature: Wonder Girl (similar to the YJ version) teaming up with Natasha Irons and Cassandra Cain

HOUSE OF MYSTERY: horror/fantasy book
    Main feature: Shadowpact (Madame Xanadu assembles DCU's new protectors against supernatural forces)
    Second feature: Amethyst and Frankenstein team-up adventures
    Third feature: rotating spotlight on characters like Deadman, Demon Knights etc

ADVENTURE COMICS: a book focusing on the JLU and the heroes they recruit
    Main feature: JLU featuring Stargirl, Alanna Strange, Animal Man, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle and other guest stars
    Second feature: rotating stories that focus on different superteams like the Global Guardians, the Charlton heroes etc
    Third feature: self-contained spotlight on some of the heroes helping out the JLU

STRANGE ADVENTURES: cosmic book
    Main feature: Omega Men
    Second feature: Rotating focus on Adam Strange and other solo cosmic heroes
    Third feature: Legion Academy (this would accompany an actual LOSH book)
    Last edited by Factor; 09-15-2015 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I think Geoff Johns, Jim Lee and Scott Snyder could do that.

Even if they just started with one, featuring all three in the first issue, to test it out...

Example:

DC HEROES ALL-STARS #1
    Written by various
    Art by various
    All new stories featuring:
    Batman by Scott Snyder and Capullo!
    Superman by Grant Morrison and Jim Lee!
    Wonder Woman by Gail Simone and Lopresti!
    Justice League by Geoff Johns and Fabok!
    Shazam! by Jeff Lemire and Nicola Scott!
    On sale JANUARY 20 • 96 pg, FC, 1 of 12, $7.99 US

Who wouldn't buy that?