Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Something you guys are not mentioning are the old titles like Journey Into Mystery, which had no recurring characters before it became a Thor title. Now that's a REAL anthology book -- one that's dedicated to a genre and nothing else.
    Modern comic audiences would need to be spoonfed non-superhero stuff to work.
    Maybe one genre-type, non-superhero tale every six issues or so.
    If the book becomes too generic or too high-brow, they'll lose interest.

It has to at least have a high ratio of A-list superheroes, with at least one A-list creator, or it will be generally ignored.
    You can fit more genre-type or C-list stuff in, but it can't overshadow the main attraction.
    Spoonful of sugar and all that.

They would need training, so to speak, until they're comfortable with the format.

Fantastic Member

Lee Stone, I was under the assumption your post implied the entire main DC comics line moved to anthology books.

I still think that would work, and better than their current system.

As in, rather than Batman having a stand-alone book each month, he is now a title in Detective Comics (or more likely Batman & Detective Comics, because you have to keep the big names on the cover).

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Lee Stone, I was under the assumption your post implied the entire main DC comics line moved to anthology books.

I still think that would work, and better than their current system.

As in, rather than Batman having a stand-alone book each month, he is now a title in Detective Comics (or more likely Batman & Detective Comics, because you have to keep the big names on the cover).
    Actually it was.
    But they would need to first get readers comfortable with the format.
    Hence, the twelve-issue try-out featuring all the A-listers.

Readers would first need to lose the thought that anthologies can't be important as well as get used to the idea of picking up a grab-bag of content in one book.
    And retailers need convincing that it would sell. Another reason why I'd put all A-list content in that first series.

Once they were comfortable, then you could follow it with Detective, Action, Sensation, All-Star, Adventure, World's Finest, DC Comics Presents, DC Showcase and Tangent.

If you don't get them into the idea, the sudden change could be hard to sell to readers and retailers and will meet all kinds of resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

1. The format would increase visibility of lesser known characters.
    When I think of all the random forgotten Golden and Silver Age characters that had solo story upon solo story published issue after issue I'm just blown away. All because of the existence of anthologies. We rarely even get backup stories anymore. If you're not a headliner you're out of luck.

I love the idea of the anthologies, but not as replacements for the regular books. If I only want to read about say, Catwoman, I shouldn't have to buy a bad run of something like Batman Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I love the idea of the anthologies, but not as replacements for the regular books. If I only want to read about say, Catwoman, I shouldn't have to buy a bad run of something like Batman Beyond.
    They would expect you to either get them individually in digital or wait for the trade, then.
    Or pick up the monthly anthology.

There idea would be the same as how cable companies give you a bulk of channels you don't want just to get AMC.
    You may say you don't want them, but you will eventually find yourself surfing channels.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yeah; then you could either trade-wait or purchase only your preferred chapters digitally.

But even if there's a bad run of Beyond in the magazine, you wouldn't be willing to take that along with three titles you did enjoy?

Again, it's how comics magazines work in Japan. I remember surbscribing to the U.S. Shonen Jump as a kid, back when I was into manga, and being thrilled with it, even if I wasn't truly interested in every title. I think it'd be a great system to bring to U.S. comics.

All-New Member

As long as we're discussing anthologies--
    How about a return of "All-Star Western"? Jonah Hex? Bat Lash? El Diablo? Nighthawk & Cinnamon? Tomahawk?
    All these great characters: some missing for years!

All-New Member

Aww, man...How could I forget the Trigger Twins?

BANNED

A title that had four-issue stories about characters who lack ongoings might fly. You couldn't run the stories longer than that because some of the characters might not sell well if their stories went longer.