Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Superman/Wonder Woman #21

The epic "Truth" arc hits close to the heart as dark secrets come to light, forcing Superman and Wonder Woman to question whether their relationship can work in this new world of identities revealed and questionable actions.

Full preview here.

Mahnke WW is the greatest WW of ALLTIME

Fantastic Member

The Truth arc was 4 issues, do we know the name and length of the next ?

I'll be looking for a figure in this issue that could possibly be the third and last unaccounted for "shadow" that Wrath meets with at the end of last week's Action. Perhaps its this Mr. Bend we see in the opening page.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'll be looking for a figure in this issue that could possibly be the third and last unaccounted for "shadow" that Wrath meets with at the end of last week's Action. Perhaps its this Mr. Bend we see in the opening page.
    That would be a plausible guess.
    Not that I think looking for clues is going to be all that useful. If my guess is right, every Superman title this month is going to end with one the "shadows" revealed.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Great preview. Love the artwork. Love the dramatic tension. Lois' responses were spot on. She's a reporter, plain and simple. It's her attitude that helps set her apart. I think that attitude has become much more prominent since the reboot. She's not overly defined by her relationship with Superman anymore. She's more defined by her work and her personality. And I think that's been good for her character overall.

I also hope that this whole Truth arc passes soon. This gritty, under-powered Superman has been fun at times. But it's starting to get old. I don't think it needs to be drawn out more than it already has, especially with the events in Justice League. But knowing DC, they'll milk this all they can until they find some other way to really shake up Superman's life.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Lois Lane is completely unlikable in this preview.

Wonder Woman should have simply rescued them by force, the government has no right to kidnap innocent people.
    Last edited by Lax; 09-15-2015 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Great preview. Love the artwork. Love the dramatic tension. Lois' responses were spot on. She's a reporter, plain and simple. It's her attitude that helps set her apart. I think that attitude has become much more prominent since the reboot. She's not overly defined by her relationship with Superman anymore. She's more defined by her work and her personality. And I think that's been good for her character overall.
    Huh? Even when Lois was married to Superman, she cared about her job and had scenes discussing her job and doing her job. She didn't lose her assertive, opinionated, witty attitude when she was married to Superman either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Lois Lane is completely unlikable in this preview.
    How so? She's been kidnapped and is having to answer the questions of someone in the government who is not only treating Superman like a threat, but is also accusing her and all of Superman's friends of having some hidden agenda. Her anger is righteous. When Superman gets sassy or aggressive in response to people attacking him or his friends, it's often welcomed as the character at his best and most likable. Lois reacts in a completely understandable way to a situation that would make anyone angry, and she's unlikable. Such a reaction doesn't seem at all fair, and I think you are being far too hard on her.

Yeah, I agree with misslane. There's nothing unlikable or unreasonable about Lois in these previews. Even Diana agrees the government is out of line.

Good art, good action, but....

THAT'S why Superman is mad at Wonder Woman? This is the "betrayal" the likes which compels him to tell her he doesn't love her anymore? I don't even know how it can be classified as something to be that mad about, let alone be classified a betrayal. As it stands his anger here is so forced, contrived, and not at all in sync with the supposed offense that it just makes Clark look like a massive douche-nozzle. As of right now he looks really bad, and honestly the only way I can make heads or tails out of this whatsoever beyond just terrible writing is if the shadows are messing with his personality. We know from future solicits that is Wrath's goal, but maybe there's more to it than just subtle psychological manipulations to try and make him "turn to the dark side"; rather a supernatural changing of his persona at work. Here's hoping, at least. Because otherwise it just does not fit, at all.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-16-2015 at 04:21 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Always Rakzo

This was actually a good story with nice action and art.

... Aaand it seems like DC is really focused on making Lois the biggest ******* in the universe. I wouldn't be surprised if she eventually becomes a villain like in JL3001 (Hell, maybe these are the events that caused that).

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Good art, good action, but....

THAT'S why Superman is mad at Wonder Woman? This is the "betrayal" the likes which compels him to tell her he doesn't love her anymore? I don't even know how it can be classified as something to be that mad about, let alone be classified a betrayal. As it stands his anger here is so forced, contrived, and not at all in sync with the supposed offense that it just makes Clark look like a massive douche-nozzle. As of right now he looks really bad, and honestly the only way I can make heads or tails out of this whatsoever beyond just terrible writing is if the shadows are messing with his personality. We know from future solicits that is Wrath's goal, but maybe there's more to it than just subtle psychological manipulations to try and make him "turn to the dark side"; rather a supernatural changing of his persona at work. Here's hoping, at least. Because otherwise it just does not fit, at all.
    I wouldn't discount Wrath as a factor...I mean Clark is getting angrier and angrier in the other books too...it's clear his fears are feeding his anger. However I can see his point of view as well as Diana's. She thinks she's helping which she is. Though to be fair to Clark she's already forgotten what they discussed ie her trying to allow him to pull his weight and not allow herself or innocents put at risk for him. She did that here again. Again understandable. She is WW, GOW, she won't stand still and allow someone she loves to die. Nor would Superman if he had his power. But still I see how he would feel annoyed and he doesn't care for the Lasso because again did his friends have a choice whether they wanted it around them or not. But I assume Diana might have asked them. Mind you he has no issues with it when they in the JL so... But seems Clark is feeling very helpless and frustrated and fearful because he's never been this vulnerable or losing so much so fast in his life. It makes sense he'd react very human...which is emotional. What makes us human is we make mistakes, say things we don't mean in anger, feel guilt etc. To me looks like he wants to be a douche...than just is a douche...because it allows him to push them away...to keep them safe. I don't really see him as looking bad as just him going thorugh a ton of emotion he's never had to deal with in his life...because he's had it kinda easy with all the power to be in control.
    Last edited by hellacre; 09-16-2015 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post

... Aaand it seems like DC is really focused on making Lois the biggest ******* in the universe. I wouldn't be surprised if she eventually becomes a villain like in JL3001 (Hell, maybe these are the events that caused that).
    The wheels are in motion. lol never thought about that actually. Lois Lane Villain would be pretty cool.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post

I dunno. Is it really being an ******* to be angry and insulting to a group of people that kidnapped her, put her in a cell, and now are interrogating her using a lie detector? Let's be honest, would any of us have been respectful towards our interrgator if we were in her place? I sure wouldn't. Then again, I probably am an *******.
    As for the rest....good art, good action, but there's a couple of issues here. First, Lois' answer to why she did what she did is....strangely enough not the truth at all. What's up with that? I mean, either there's inconstistancies between the books, or she's being extremely litteral in her answers by telling why she wrote the article and not why she exposed Superman (which, as we know, is technically not the same thing).
    Second, regarding the thing with Diana. I'm sort of between hellcare and Sacred Knight here. On the one hand, I see why Clark is pissed, and he makes some good points in that regard (especially since what she did didn't end up being necessary and Trevor duped her into doing it anyway so they could get what they wanted out of them despite Superman already securing their release). On the other hand, that may not be quite "you betrayed my trust" territory.
    So overall, decent, but a bit of a let down compared to the rest of the arc. Still a damn improvement over Tomasi's pre Truth issues.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Read... Still not sure why Superman was angry at WW. She saved his friends.