Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    It would make a unique engagement ring for a certain embodiment of a cosmic principle.
    Given the situation presented in DP/Thanos, Deadpool could give Death something from the vending machine and expect better luck

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Radical View Post
    If they weren't utterly corrupt already.
    Big difference between regular corrupted and My Precious I loves It Nice Precious bad capes, I hates them hates them gollum gollum...

Astonishing Member

Personally, I think the female Death in the DCU is much cuter than the MU Death female. Looks like much more fun than MU Death.

He winds up as a thrall of Sauron, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTierHero View Post
    Given the people who have tried and failed to attack him psychically, there's a snowball's chance in Mordor's forges of that happening.

Based on what?

That's not how the Ring works. Considering Thanos's personality, the Ring will have him dancing on its strings quite rleiably.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

That's not how the Ring works. Considering Thanos's personality, the Ring will have him dancing on its strings quite rleiably.
    yeah, no. the ring can offer him nothing of value.

not to mention his will power and mental strength is such that the ring would metaphorically break itself trying to fuck with thanos.

like someone already said, thanos would treat it the same as tom did when he had the ring.

The Ring wouldn't work on Tom because he didn't have any desires or motivations for the Ring to manipulate. He wouldn't care about conquering the world, or making things better, or improving things, or defeating his enemies, or amassing wealth/power, etc.

Thanos does. He would be doing the Ring's bidding without even realizing it. It isn't an "attack" in the comic book sense.

The Ring wouldn't work on Tom because he didn't have any desires or motivations for the Ring to manipulate. He wouldn't care about conquering the world, or making things better, or improving things, or defeating his enemies, or amassing wealth/power, etc.

Thanos does. He would be doing the Ring's bidding without even realizing it. It isn't an "attack" in the comic book sense.
    But it has no feats of working on someone with Thanos' willpower and mental defences, so we can't say that it would.

That's a No-Limits Fallacy.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    But it has no feats of working on someone with Thanos' willpower and mental defences, so we can't say that it would.

That's a No-Limits Fallacy.
    plus, thanos would have no reason to keep it. to him, it's just a ring and would more than likely toss.

[Thanos holds the ring between massive finger and thumb]

Thanos: It's too small.

The idea of the ring corrupting Thanos and the idea of the ring ending Thanos up as a slave to Sauron are two different things (though, that first is sketchy as far as the ring really offering much to Thanos or changing his wants or personality in any observable way from the norm even if you run with that it would influence him. It's of so little use to him and he's already, y'know, Thanos. There's not a lot further to go vis a vis ego and evil and so forth.).

Sauron himself was deeply concerned of someone like Galadriel or what have you getting their mitts on the ring and using it against him. That they'd turn evil or the like is not much of a consolation prize when you've been stomped.

An idea I find amusing is that the influence door can swing both ways when it involves someone with the willpower and psychic potence of Thanos, and Sauron soon finds himself in love with Death and adopting young green girls to raise as his personal assassins.

Astonishing Member

Ring too small - I thought it could change size to the wearer. Was that in the book? I think it was in the movie.

I think the no-limits problem is a good point. It's like whether someone could destroy it. The LOTR said you need the volcano or maybe a dragon. But was that the limit of their tech or an unbreakable limit on the ring. They didn't have anyone who could drop it in the sun or put out energy like the Silver Surfer or Galactus.

Corrupting Thanos - nope.