Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I just realized that my comment comically falls into the "it's about ethics in the comic industry" mentality and while that kind of phrase is usually ridiculized, it's funny how it can have more weight when we're talking about a man.

That's actually a good point.

While many sources actually confirm this, I always feel that many people who make accusations do it purely on spite simply because they don't like someone and want to destroy them. Despite that the person in question is most likely culprit, this doesn't make the person who make such claims look good.

Charges should be presented anyway.
    Seriously, the only way any of this impacts DC and/or WB is if an official news source outside of comics brings it to light.
    Otherwise, it'll just be an ill wind that will pass and be forgotten or ignored by retailers and readers. Meaning it's of no real importance to DC or WB at the moment.

BANNED

I would like to see this issue go wide with mainstream media coverage. The Comic book industry is 96 percent White Male but if you ask them they would say that they are not racist. And shockingly I kinda believe that they aren't they just have a very skewed perspective similar to Matt Damon. From my observation the Comic Book Industry has a old school White Male dominated 'Mad Men' type of foundation that has not change or moved one inch since the 60's and when you add this to the fact that it also nurtures a hook up culture where you can only get a job if you know someone, had a fling with someone or you're an artist and just so happen to bump into a comic book editor at a Bank lobby and he geeks and gives you work after seeing samples of your work which you just by coincidence happen to have on hand while waiting in line; it's very hard for a honest hard working person to get a job in comics.

Over the recent Holiday weekend it was embarrassing as a comic fan to hear on CBS sports radio a commentator insinuating that some revelers/Cosplayers where doing some type of sexual activity on the streets during Dragon Con and listening to an interview with some drunk guy on the street rambling on and on about some girl with big over flowing boobs Cosplaying Power Girl.

We got the Avengers making Billions upon billions of dollars at the box office with possibly Superman V batman up next to do the same and yet we still have a comic industry that is seedy, racist (even if they're blind to it) and flat out juvenile.

As a comic fan this is embarrassing and if it takes something like this to cause a change in the industry then so be it.
    Last edited by rightsuperhero; 09-15-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rightsuperhero View Post
    I would like to see this issue go wide with mainstream media coverage. The Comic book industry is 96 percent White Male but if you ask them they would say that they are not racist. And shockingly I kinda believe that they aren't they just have a very skewed perspective similar to Matt Damon. From my observation the Comic Book Industry has a old school White Male dominated 'Mad Men' type of foundation that has not change or moved one inch since the 60's and when you add this to the fact that it also nurtures a hook up culture where you can only get a job if you know someone, had a fling with someone or you're an artist and just so happen to bump into a comic book editor at a Bank lobby and he geeks and gives you work after seeing samples of your work which you just by coincidence happen to have on hand while waiting in line; it's very hard for a honest hard working person to get a job in comics.

Over the recent Holiday weekend it was embarrassing as a comic fan to hear on CBS sports radio a commentator insinuating that some revelers/Cosplayers where doing some type of sexual activity on the streets during Dragon Con. And listening to an interview with some drunk guy on the street rambling on and on about some girl with big over flowing boobs Cosplaying Power Girl.

We got the Avengers making Billions upon billions of dollars at the box office with possibly Superman V batman up next to do the same and yet we still have a comic industry that is seedy, racist (even if they're blind to it) and flat out juvenile.

As a comic fan this is embarrassing and if it takes something like this to cause a change in the industry then so be it.
    Serious question - have you ever been to any other kind of industry convention...electronics, computers, insurance, banking, real estate, etc.? You just described them to a T. It's a societal problem and is no more pronounced in the comic book industry than anywhere else

BANNED

Yea I've been to a comic convention to present my art work a lifetime ago. At that time I have been to two well known Art Schools and was expecting some good feedback and critique. I wasn't expecting to get a job and this one guy dissed my work in a disrespecting way but that didn't deterred me so I went to the Milestone table. They liked my worked and gave me a business card to call so they could send me a script. They sent me a Static script. I had a problem with the script. Something about static going into a bathroom stall ( I can't remember the exact details) but it perplexed me and kinda stressed me out so I called the number on the business card again. they was straight up clowning in there. So I said forget it. I haven't presented my work since then which was waay back in the 90's. I think that you have to be a certain social type to fit into the Comics Industry and get a gig and being White greatly helps too since they make up 96 percent of the workplace.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    The powers that be at WB only really need to care about the IPs. It's the powers that be at DC who need to care about readers, and need to hear backlash from them.
    Diane Nelson is the President of DCE. She needs to stamp this out, stat!!
    There's no way she's not aware of what's going on!
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Seriously, the only way any of this impacts DC and/or WB is if an official news source outside of comics brings it to light.
    Otherwise, it'll just be an ill wind that will pass and be forgotten or ignored by retailers and readers. Meaning it's of no real importance to DC or WB at the moment.
    This^^^

There needs to be a veritable flood of complaints a la Bill Cosby, Silicone Valley, hell, the frickin' United States Army.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I follow Ales Kot's work and I have never heard any accusation about him.

Sorry, I was thinking Brian Wood. I think I read something about the two and got their names switched; something to do with Tess Fowler.

BANNED

I don't dismiss what she's saying, but I don't automatically believe it either.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Sorry, I was thinking Brian Wood. I think I read something about the two and got their names switched; something to do with Tess Fowler.
    Yeah, Ales Kot was one of the people involved in the whole twitter conversation where Tess Fowler outed Wood.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-17-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I don't dismiss what she's saying, but I don't automatically believe it either.
    And the Bill Cosby's of the world rejoice

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Yeah, that was Brian Wood. To copy from Tess Fowler's original statement on the matter from Twitter, the at the time unnamed writer "tried to get me up to his room at SDCC one year by feigning interest in my pursuit of a comic career. The same guy who ran off my friends mid conversation to get to me, then left me with his room number and told me he’d be waiting to get to know me better. Then the next day when I walked by the booth with friends he shouted at me in front of crowds of pros and fans that he’d waited and waited for me and where the fuck did I go? Needless to say he was married with a pregnant wife at the time. I was young, naive and hopeful. But not THAT naive. Later we talked on Facebook and he made fun of my art, letting me know he had never had any interest in it to begin with. He was mad that I’d been afraid of him.At the time I liked to costume. He told me I should be thankful he was talking to me & that he’d overlooked me dressing up like an idiot. I look at his career and the way he’s touted as a feminist and I cringe. I am not the only woman who has had a run in with him either."

Later, she identified him as Brian Wood. He responded, admitting to making a pass at her but denying the rest of the allegations. Actually, he's in the news again today: he's apparently sent out a newsletter to his followers, as well as some creators he sent it to unprompted, encouraging women not to speak out against abusive men in the industry, saying it would lead to suicides: hopefully some excerpts will be put out later to confirm. Evidently in the same letter he notes not knowing Nathan Edmonson at all, which is...curious, given that they cowrote Ultimate X-Men #21-22.

Edit: Here's the letter (http://pastebin.com/BkP8r9m0), which is a pretty much general condemnation of "watchdogs" and "people self-appointed to police up the industry", noting that "guys in the trenches" (like himself, of course) aren't the problem, but he knows what the real problem is, it's guys higher up, not lower-rung people who probably regret anything stupid they may or may have not said anyway, and if people keep this up someone will kill themselves, citing the recent Ashley Madison leak, and really this is all just about jerks wanting publicity and to feel good about themselves anyway. In any case, son has stones the size of bowling balls to be weighing in on the morality of calling out harassers given his own confessed deeds.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 09-15-2015 at 02:49 PM.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Please explain why I should automatically believe it, and why the fact that I don't automatically believe it and am keeping an open mind makes me a sympathizer of Bill Cosby.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-15-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Yeesh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Jackie and Duke Lacrosse.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    : he's apparently sent out a newsletter to his followers, as well as some creators he sent it to unprompted, encouraging women not to speak out against abusive men in the industry, saying it would lead to suicides: hopefully some excerpts will be put out later to confirm. Evidently in the same letter he notes not knowing Nathan Edmonson at all, which is...curious, given that they cowrote Ultimate X-Men #21-22.
    Incredibly, that newsletter's gotten free. Just read it frm a link on tumblr and... basically we have to worry about harrassers killing themselves (and maybe not doing cons) for being called on it, and Cross Fit made him a better person.