View Poll Results: Do you think Miles Morales NEEDS to be 'THE' Spider-Man in the Marvel Comics main universe?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Miles is 'THE' Spider-Man, why they don't kill Peter or send him to China while they are at it?

8 19.51%
  • No, I'd rather see Miles developing his own alter ego and mythology like Spider-Gwen or Silk.

33 80.49%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    Nobody has ever complained about Spider-Man 2099 because he's an alternate version from the future and the name of his book is Spider-Man 2099, not Spider-Man. If it was, you can bet that he'd have as much complaints as Miles Morales. If tomorrow DC decides that they'll release a second Batman book and the guy is a white blonde dude with a goatee, you can bet that his fans would riot too. It's not about the color of Morales, it's about him using Spider-Man name and getting the spotlight in the main universe at the expense of Spider-Man. There's a quite obvious difference here.
    It's branding. Simple as that, it's branding.
    If the idea of another title that used similar themes and concepts was deemed profitable then they would market it under a variation of the norm (adjectives; Ultimate, Amazing, Scarlet). This is done to denote what aspects of the brand you are marketing and makes it easier when identifying your product. Miles and Miguel are both spider-man but use different adjectives when it comes to branding. They have slight variations but are for all intents and purposes are spider-man and this hasn't affected the main books sales. What is exactly lost with Miles being spider-man?
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I Had a really strange theory a while back that I wish would have happened.

I had this idea that when cap lost his powers, that they would eventually have pete take over the mantle. If anyones earned it, Id say it would be peter parker.
    Then with the absence of spiderman, marvel would find a way to bring miles into the main MU

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    It's branding. Simple as that, it's branding.
    If the idea of another title that used similar themes and concepts was deemed profitable then they would market it under a variation of the norm (adjectives; Ultimate, Amazing, Scarlet). This is done to denote what aspects of the brand you are marketing and makes it easier when identifying your product. Miles and Miguel are both spider-man but use different adjectives when it comes to branding. They have slight variations but are for all intents and purposes are spider-man and this hasn't affected the main books sales. What is exactly lost with Miles being spider-man?
    Oh, nothing. Nothing but taking Peter out of New York so Miles can have the kind of stories that Spider-Man would have there. See, I wouldn't have a problem with Miles if they gave him a new name. If Marvel Comics instead of giving him the name Spider-Man, change his name to something that would make him his own persona, I'd be even excited to see him getting into the MCU. As it stands, I'm not. I understand it's branding, but my opinion is that the branding is wrong. Going back to my Idris Elba playing 007 in the future analogy: I don't want to see Antonio Gonzales: Agent 007, played by Idris. I want James Bond: Agent 007, played by Idris Elba. I feel that once people outside the comic book circle start claiming that Peter isn't good enough for his own alter ego, Marvel is damaging the brand, not enriching it.

iMan 42s

Oh, nothing. Nothing but taking Peter out of New York so Miles can have the kind of stories that Spider-Man would have there. See, I wouldn't have a problem with Miles if they gave him a new name. If Marvel Comics instead of giving him the name Spider-Man, change his name to something that would make him his own persona, I'd be even excited to see him getting into the MCU. As it stands, I'm not. I understand it's branding, but my opinion is that the branding is wrong. Going back to my Idris Elba playing 007 in the future analogy: I don't want to see Antonio Gonzales: Agent 007, played by Idris. I want James Bond: Agent 007, played by Idris Elba. I feel that once people outside the comic book circle start claiming that Peter isn't good enough for his own alter ego, Marvel is damaging the brand, not enriching it.
    It's not as easy to market something like this without that sort of brand recognition. Give it a few years and this may change, but for the moment with Miles being around for about four years now and his origins being a spider-man replacement, him using the spider-man name is the better option when it comes to making sure that particular aspect of the brand is recognizable and sells. A few things to keep in mind here is that we haven't seen this in action yet. Miles has been on the market but he hasn't had the chance to do anything with the main brands. He hasn't cross pollinated or at least as much as he really could've. There really is nothing to suggest right now that he would overshadow Amazing Spider-man or somehow cause the book to loose readers.

During Superior spider-man we had three books doing the same thing. All anti heroes trying to make amends for past mistakes. With three books doing the same thing and the negative feedback from the so called "main" title you would've thought Venom and Scarlet spider (the other books at the time) would have survived right? Wrong. The main title regardless will endure and whether it feeds off the success of others or brands itself in such a way that the very nature of the book becomes a gimmick it will always survive. Amazing spider-man or Spectacular or even superior or whatever the main book wants to call itself will always survive even at the expense of others. Amazing isn't going anywhere and is not in any danger by the other books.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

But Dan Slott is making Peter international because that's the story he wants to tell. It has nothing to do with Miles.

Also in-universe, Pete really has no reason to stay in NY:
    He can call May up when he can and invents gadgets to see her in person.
    He is not fighting/active member of the main Avengers.
    And finally, he has a company. A growing company that in the span of eight months/or so, is going international so he really can't stay in NY, unless he makes a device that makes it possible, but he's going to be on the move in other places.

As for Miles: HIS WORLD IS GONE!
    I have no doubts Bendis will bring back Miles's supporting cast but the world Miles knew and was the only Spiderman in is gone until the next retcon. He is just a teenager with no ID or place to go (Unless that Spidermen Plot point comes back) and he has his people to look after. Him staying in NY makes the most amount of sense and the Spiderman luck will make the NY spider problems fall into his lap.

PS: Miles is Spiderman. Just Spiderman. The Adjectiveless title that came out in the 90s, after 3 decades of Amazing, which is the Flagship title. The possibility of Miles becoming the Main Spiderman are zil.

THough him trying a new identity might be fun/interesting for a storyline or one shot.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

The objective of the thread is to show the discontentment of the Spider-Man fans with a character usurping his name and mythos because Bendis and Quesada thought it'd be a good idea to leech from its brand. Good satellite characters of popular characters like Spider-Man add to the mythos, they do not make a divide between fans. As a Spider-Man fan, I don't want Miles to be killed off so Spider-Man can keep being seen as the one and only Spider-Man; I want Morales to get his own alter ego and pathos, like the majority of people here. Saying that I'm inducing people think like that is a BIG fallacy, I'm just echoing the sentiment of many and that's clear from all the standpoints that you want to look at, regarding of you "market research surveys" or not.
    If that's the point of the thread I'm going to have to close it. It suggests the thread title was misleading in the suggestion that it was about a question with more than one answer.

If anyone wants to start a thread about whether Miles Morales should be called Spider-Man or something else, they're free to do so.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets