Spectacular Member

Default Batman '66 is ending at #30

http://13thdimension.com/dcs-batman-...g-at-issue-30/

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/batma...%E2%80%9866-30

Tbh the series was going a bit downhill with the introduction of villians from outside the 66 world.
    I would have liked it to have continued but in the vein of the first 20 or so issues.

However we are getting the UNCLE and Avengers crossover which will be another 12 issues (and 2 trades) and I'm sure they'll be something special for the anniversary.

I was hoping they would do something in memorandum of Yvonne Craig, a batgirl special or something, but clearly not

Quote Originally Posted by riddler123 View Post
    Tbh the series was going a bit downhill with the introduction of villians from outside the 66 world.
    I would have liked it to have continued but in the vein of the first 20 or so issues.
    Not for me. I thought the new villains gave the title a breath of fresh air. The Ivy issues were some of the best of the entire series.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Such a shame, I loved the world building Parker was starting to do.

The issue with Lord Death man is most likely in my top 5 comics I've read from DC in ages. The only issues I haven't enjoyed, at least a bit, were the Egghead ones. Highly dislike that character.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-15-2015 at 07:45 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Such a shame, I loved the world building Parker was starting to do.

The issue with Lord Death man is most likely in my top 5 comics I've read from DC in ages. The only issues I haven't enjoyed, at least a bit, were the Egghead ones. Highly dislike that character.
    Ha, I loved the Egghead issues, ditto King Tut , Bookworm and Mr Freeze.

Perhaps they'll do a re-launch after the UNCLE and Avengers specials

Really loved this comic from the start. I was also liking the '66 versions of characters that weren't in the show. It gave the series something new that they could do with the formula, which like the show, was very basic. However, as fans of the show, we actually enjoyed that type of camp, fun humor. I think the option for crossovers will also keep the '66 version of Batman going for the near future.

It's quite an unusal situation really. It was only in recent times that all the rights revolving around the show finally got sorted out & we as fans could finally get our hands on the DVD's and Blu-rays of the actual show, along with a considerable amount of new merchandise. As a huge fan of the show, I'm aware of pretty much every new merchandise that was made in the last 2 or 3 years relating to the show, and Batman '66 the comic was another of these.

However, as a keen fan of all of this sort of stuff, I read that a lot of the merchandise that was made didn't sell enough to meet the expectations that were there for it. I had read that the Hot Toys Batman and Robin for example, didnt sell all that well, as did the mattel action figure line so it didn't warrent adding new series or additions to them. I think the most recent sales figures for the comic put it at 14k sales per month, well below the 20k that is seen as the cancelling point.

Batman '66 is going to be a niche product at this stage. I'm not saying there is not a market for merchandise from it, ala comics etc..., because there most definitely is, arguably a very dedicated, fanatical, fanbase. I think the powers that be will understand that they can still put out products every year for Batman '66 fans and still turn a profit. It just won't be a huge profit as the target audience is just smaller for this stuff.

Personally, I don't see the harm in continuing Batman '66 as a digital only, perhaps trade collected, format.

Anyway, one things for sure. The 1966 Batman show is a cult hit. It's been around 49 years (nearly 50 next year!) and it's faded in and out of view many times over those years. Now that they can finally make stuff to sell people about the show, you can be sure they won't just stop after the first 2 years of being able to do so. Next year could very well be a huge year for Batman '66. Adam West and Burt Ward are even voicing 2 animated movies that may very well see release next year too. And when that happens, Batmania may very well take hold of everyone once again, old chums!

Spectacular Member

Sorry that it's over, but so happy that something so unlikely ever happened at all.
    And since the beginning I've hoped that we'd get at least one issue of Mike Allred interiors- I know that Mike and his brother Lee will give Batman '66 the spectacular finale it deserves.

Fantastic Member

Woah, woah, wait.

They're actually doing an Avengers crossover? I was really hoping that would happen with all the other pulpy '60s crossovers going on. When was that announced?

Decently high notes to end on. Like DC's other episodic digital-first titles, this was never destined for a long run, nor do I particularly think it could sustain one while remaining true to its source material. It was a fun book, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Woah, woah, wait.

They're actually doing an Avengers crossover? I was really hoping that would happen with all the other pulpy '60s crossovers going on. When was that announced?

Decently high notes to end on. Like DC's other episodic digital-first titles, this was never destined for a long run, nor do I particularly think it could sustain one while remaining true to its source material. It was a fun book, though.
    They announced the Avengers crossover at SDCC.
    Hopefully, we'll get a volume 2.
    They're possibly wanting to relaunch with a new creative team or give Parker a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    They announced the Avengers crossover at SDCC.
    Hopefully, we'll get a volume 2.
    They're possibly wanting to relaunch with a new creative team or give Parker a break.
    I was half expecting Ray Fawkes to take over, if Parker completely moved on, since he seemed to contribute quite a few stories. Though I'd count losing Parker as a big loss, I'd be down for a volume 2 and for Parker to get something else great writing wise at DC .

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Sad to see this one go. This one was a favorite of mine and I'll miss it. Hopefully we'll get a continuation at some point.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

All-New Member

I'd don't suppose they'll be a doctor who crossover?

Adam west! Patrick troughton! yeti!

You know it makes sense.....

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy-chan View Post
    I'd don't suppose they'll be a doctor who crossover?

Adam west! Patrick troughton! yeti!

You know it makes sense.....
    The second Doctor, Zoe and Jamie would be a good Tardis team from 1968/9 to use.
    Though I think Titan have the Dr who comic rights these days

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SwampyCA View Post
    Not for me. I thought the new villains gave the title a breath of fresh air. The Ivy issues were some of the best of the entire series.
    I'd rather desired that comic would use the peroid-era fiends that today's age would long considered too "campy" to be used in "modern" to today's comics (Spellbinder, Bouncer, Monarch of Menace, Getaway Genius, Johnny Witts, Doctor No-Face, Planet Master, Spinner, Mirror Man, ect), as well as effective, "classic style" Calendar Man, Doctor Double X, Terrible Trio, and Signalman, no "modern" (grim n' gritty) alterations; just keep them true to original essence; but would still be "fittable" to such a concept period title.

Mighty Member

Here are some concepts for a stoyline that was going to be pitched, but scrapped when the book was cancelled. It has the return of a bunch of '66 original villains returning, and '66 take on two classic foes:

http://scottkowalchuk.blogspot.com/2...f-shadows.html
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

It was nice to get '66 Clayface and Bane even when I don't like their current counterparts. Bookworm became a favourite. The comic had a unique voice and if it has to go I'd like Batman '89 prettyplease