Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Speculation/Discussion: What Happens To Cyclops After Secret Wars?

This topic has been discussed in a number of threads in some form or another so I thought I'd create a single thread to focus on this issue. At the moment, it's the biggest mystery of the post-Secret Wars re-launch. What happened to Cyclops? What exactly were the "terrible acts committed by mutant revolutionary Cyclops" that put mutants in the crosshairs? Exactly what is the extent of the "damage" he's done? Is he even alive after the 8-month gap? And what happened between him and the Inhumans?

These are all pressing questions. The answers are essential to the setup of the X-books after Secret Wars. We've already seen a preview of Extraordinary X-men #1 where O5 Jean laments what happened to him. We also have seen on the covers of All-New X-men depictions of the O5 team crossing out pictures of Cyclops' revolutionary team. So what does this mean? Well, that's what I'd like to discuss here in this thread. And I also want to open it up to any speculation and/or theories about what happened.

Now I've made my share of predictions before. Almost every time, I've been dead wrong. I am not Rich Johnson. I have no insight whatsoever. I'm just assessing the situation as is currently understood. So with that in mind, don't put much stock into anything I try and predict. I'm almost always wrong.

That said, I do have a couple theories about what happened after Secret Wars. Here's the theory and I think is most likely.

Inhuman/X-men War Theory

During the 8 month gap proceeding Secret Wars, a major skirmish erupts between the Inhumans and Cyclops' revolutionaries. It happens when a new form of the Terrigen Mist, which was already hinted at in the pages of Ms. Marvel #18, is unleashed from New Attilan. Based on the EXM #1 preview, we already know it causes disease and sterilization in mutants. As soon as Cyclops finds this out, he confronts Black Bolt and urges him to stop it. Black Bolt refuses, claiming that they would be denied an entire generation of Inhumans.

As a result, a major war erupts and Cyclops unleashes his Sentinels on New Attilan in the hopes of stopping the mists. The Inhumans fight back and during the conflict, more of the mist is released. So in the end, Cyclops and his team fails. This forces Cyclops and his team to retreat. In the process, Cyclops is detained again by the Inhumans and turned over to the Avengers. As a result, he's relegated to a SHIELD holding cell. And to ensure that further conflict between mutants and Inhumans doesn't continue, Beast offers to join the Inhumans in finding a cure for the effects of the mist.

For the mutants who are affected, the remaining X-men under Storm create a save haven in space for mutants and regularly shuttle them to this haven. It was recently revealed Alpha Flight is on some kind of space station with Captain Marvel. Perhaps this is where mutants are being sheltered until the mists are dealt with.

In addition to the effects, the spread of the mists causes more Inhumans to emerge. Plus, the attacks by Cyclops give mutants an even worse public image. He's already a revolutionary who has openly defied humans. This would heighten anti-mutant sentiment. And it could inspire the O5 team to set out on their own to help repair that image.

As I said, this is the theory I think is most likely. However, my prediction rate is pitiful so this might get debunked by the time New York Comic Con rolls around or even before, depending on new solicits.

I do have other theories, one of which involves Cyclops dying or becoming terminally ill in this Inhuman/mutant war. But for now I think this is the one I'm sticking with. If anyone has other theories they want to share or discuss, I think they're worth discussing. We'll find out soon enough, but there's still plenty of time to speculate.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

This could be it- specially because Cyclops would be the one that is being blamed...again despite the fact that this the fault of someone else...again, which fits all that Marvel has done since Schism.

That said, I don't see him going to a cell, because he would be broke out in a few minutes at most, and I imagine Marvel wants him to be the "villain" of Inhumans.

we know what happens to Scott...

Honestly I think in the 8 month time jump he decided to go through with the revolution but since he doesn't have a lot of allies or control it went horribly awry. Deciding that his plan hasn't worked and that he may have made things worse he went into hiding but may come back out when he hears about the damage the Terrigen Mist is doing to mutant kind.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Pretty sure MarvelMaster's on the right lines with the conflict, but I think the end of that will be more like this:

Cyclops: "Hank, I found the T-bomb! Give me some pointers on defusing this thing!"
    Beast: "Okay, get the panel on the underside open..."
    Cyclops: "Done. Thirty seconds, Hank!"
    Beast: "You should see a lot of wires - cut the red one to stop the countdown!"
    Cyclops: "...repeat that."
    Beast: "Cut the red wire!"
    Cyclops: *silence*
    Beast: "...did you do it?"
    Cyclops: "Hank...it's me."
    Beast: "...Oh. Ohhhhhh. Right, with the - yeah, uhm...this book doesn't say anything else, so...might wanna put that gas mask on."
    Cyclops: "Sunuvabitch."
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Good lord, just kill him off or shove him into permanent limbo. I think at this point everyone and their mothers are sick of Cyclops.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    we know what happens to Scott...

Exactly!
    Marvel comics will be lame and lazy when post Secret Wars 616 Scott Summers is up and around. It will be a cop out to the max for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Pretty sure MarvelMaster's on the right lines with the conflict, but I think the end of that will be more like this:

Cyclops: "Hank, I found the T-bomb! Give me some pointers on defusing this thing!"
    Beast: "...Oh. Ohhhhhh. Right, with the - yeah, uhm...this book doesn't say anything else, so...might wanna put that gas mask on."
    I would be totally okay with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Good lord, just kill him off or shove him into permanent limbo. I think at this point everyone and their mothers are sick of Cyclops.
    I'm hoping Magneto is to become the focus of the mutant situation since he's leading the Uncanny team. Enough of Scott Summers...

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Since Black Bolt is the cause of the Terrigen Mist, I'm going to predict that Cyclops has taken in self-imposed exile to Space to track him down to find a solution. Scott being Scott, this is probably also going to be why he comes into conflict with the Inhumans.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post

You win. I would totally take this as canon.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Wait, what revolutionaries? Where did this plural come from?

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Wait, what revolutionaries? Where did this plural come from?
    Havok is still with him maybe?

BANNED

Nah, marvel is trying to have their cake and eat with Cryclops. So I'm guessing an inhuman did something scott was their and since you can't tell inhumans apart from mutants the world see mutants as a problem. Inhumans have been more cooperative than Some mutants in comparison to their histories.

With no other mutants willing to sully themselves to fight for their own survival, Cyclops tried to save mutantkind by taking on New Attilan alone and failed. Cyclops is probably in the mines slaving away with the other slaves, the Alpha Primitives, while the Inhuman royals yuck it up on their thrones and enjoy entertainment by their new jester, Beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'