Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Do You Like About Superman?

Title says it all. What is it about Superman that makes you a fan of his? I'll start:

>Sci-fi elements
    >Relatable human aspects
    >That he's someone who just tries his best to do good, even in a world that doesn't always reward you for it
    >Supporting cast members like Lois and Jimmy
    >Kara and Conner

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

-classic pulp sci-fi
    -great look and costume
    -great idealistic high moral code
    -great supporting cast
    -an old character who you can look at year by year, decade by decade
    -classic superhero tropes (many that he invented)
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Fantastic Member

-Journalist superhero (two if you count Lois)
    -Populist superhero (though not all iterations)
    -Genuinely good person unwilling to back down (kind of goes along with the populist aspect)
    -Iconography (this includes the ability to use it intellectually and the pure fun of the tropes the character invented)
    -Great supporting cast

I find I'm generally not as fond of the high sci-fi elements, although I appreciate the scope the character offers. (As a counter to this, Brainiac, Mr. Myxyzptlk and Bizarro are among my favorite villains.)
    Last edited by Cipher; 09-15-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I like the space baby thing, he's the ultimate immigrant. He's also a perfect cross between Goku and Hank Hill.

- The fact he always strives to do the right thing, and usually succeeds.
    - He only uses his powers in non-selfish ways.
    - In spite of being the ultimate outside he hasn't become jaded by his more negative experiences.
    - He seldom if ever (depending on which continuity) intentionally kills his opponents no matter how bad they may be, and if he does it is only when there is no other viable option.
    - His wiliness to lay down his life, if need be, for others.
    - His supporting cast
    - His costume
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

- his being powerful enough to do whatever he pleases and yet choosing to use his power unselfishly,
    - the whole idea of the socially awkward easily overlooked guy who can step into a phone booth and emerge one of the most admired people alive

The ultimate exception to "Absolute Power corrupts absolutely" (other than when he is taken out of his regular environment and / or brainwashed)

Extraordinary Member

The immigrant angle.
    Having at least one truly moral and inspiring superhero.
    The supporting cast (the planet staff, mcu, kents, and the late 90s 'team superman' and other recurring citizens of metropolis like Bibo).
    The villains.

Incredible Member

I dig the sort of modern-day mythic hero aspect that comes from his origin, his power level, and how because of that power he has the weight of the world on his shoulders, yet he always tries to do the right thing. It's compelling and inspiring.

He's pretty much what I like about most heroes, just on a grander, purer scale, if that makes any sense.

As he's my all time favorite superhero, this is pretty easy.

-Compassion, even for his enemies
    -He never gives up and does the impossible
    -sci-fi elements and crazy adventures
    -He's the proof that power doesn't corrupt and chooses to use his powers selflessly.
    -His supporting cast
    -He stands up for those who can't stand up for themselves
    -He inspires others to be better
    -He's an immigrant and an adopted child

Boisterously Confused

I won't repeat what the others have already said so well. In addition: He's the first. The wellspring from which all the rest of the genre has flowed.

BANNED

Just his powers and how they can escalate into true acts of ungodly physics defying wonders. I always get a smile on my face when I see panels of Supes unleashes near unfathomable forces of cosmic might.

But personality wise, he's meh. Peter Parker pulls off the kind hearted bastion of benevolence better than any superhero out there and his idealism is much more inspiring as it's passionate and innocently go getting, people like Steve Rogers, Jon Jones, and Clark himself are just stoic in there acts of goodwill like gods of detatched perfect figureheads.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

His compassion.
    His willingness to do whatever it takes to save others, even at the cost of his own life.

He never gives up.

His origins are tragic, and he's experienced the worst of humanity yet refuses to become jaded or cynical.

His costume, his powers, his supporting cast...the whole mythology.

The fact you can do any type of story with him, from street level stories about the common man on through high concept science fiction and back again, sometimes in the same story.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Everything that everyone above me said....and also....he loves his parents. I love the interaction between him and his parents. Either set of them.

When faced with the question of who my favorite hero(s) is/are....I always say Superman in comics....my parents in real life.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Superman sees good people as his heroes.