Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default INTERVIEW: Azzarello Promises "Dark Knight III" 'Not Shying Away From Anything'

Brian Azzarello talks in-depth with CBR News about co-writing "Dark Knight III: The Master Race" with his longtime friend Frank Miller.

Full article here.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Please..don't be afraid of shying away from things. ?
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member Global Honored's Avatar

The SGM variant looks absolutely amazing!

Fantastic Member

Frank Miller "not shying away from anything"? That's what I'm afraid of.

(Not that I had any intention of buying this)

Spectacular Member

I sometimes do need to shit myself, so I guess I should pick this up.

All-New Member

I think the second one, the reaction was because the fans were expecting "Dark Knight 1," and they didn't get it. They had the same reaction that old-time fans had when they read "Dark Knight 1" the first time. "That's not Batman!" "This is violent!" "This is awful!"
    As a Batman fan who read The Dark Knight Returns when it was originally issued, I can tell you that I did not have the reactions Brian Azzarello mentions in the article. I did think it was a groundbreaking story because it was a singular tale that took place OUTSIDE of the monthly titles' continuity. The problem I had was with DC taking this end-vision and re-creating Batman as a darker, more psychotic individual.

seriously, i have got to have a nice long 50 issue run by Azz and Risso on 'Tec

Before Azz dies
    before Risso dies
    before i die

PLEASE

BANNED

Frank Miller Unchained!

BANNED

Have to say, Azz usually isn't a very good interview guy but his enthusiasm is really coming out here. Really enjoyable interview and I'm definitely a lot more hyped.

I'm more excited to see the variant covers and promotional art than I am for this series. I used to love Frank Miller but not much of a fan of his work anymore.

I'm still undecided about getting this but I'd be a lot more interested if Dark Knight Strikes Again hadn't happened. If I do buy this I'll have to acknowledge the existence of that turd & the more I see of the variants & the eight $9 HC Special Editions for the third installment, the more this looks like a cash grab.

INTERVIEW: Azzarello Promises "Dark Knight III" 'Not Shying Away From Anything'
    Holy terror, Batman...

Fantastic Member

"The 'Dark Knight' is supposed to be provocative."

Wow. Everyone involved might actually understand this. Very pleasant interview; has restored a great amount of faith in the project. My worst fear for this project was that it would end up back-peddling from DK2 and attempt to crowd-please in a way that book didn't. My second worst fear is that vaguely xenophobic, sexist Frank Miller comes out and disrupts anything interesting and provocative the book is doing, but having Azzarello on board helps a great deal with that.

Fantastic Member

I think that Mr. Azzarello is being a bit disingenuous in his response to the criticism of "DK Strikes Again." DKSA was, to most people, an exceedingly inferior take on DC's characters, in contrast to the first series. Obviously, this is a subjective assessment, but I think it is one held by most people who compare the two stories. I won't get into the details of why DKSA was so bad, but I think it is fair to say that it was poorly received for reasons that have to do with much more than just generational change and the internet.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    I think that Mr. Azzarello is being a bit disingenuous in his response to the criticism of "DK Strikes Again." DKSA was, to most people, an exceedingly inferior take on DC's characters, in contrast to the first series. Obviously, this is a subjective assessment, but I think it is one held by most people who compare the two stories. I won't get into the details of why DKSA was so bad, but I think it is fair to say that it was poorly received for reasons that have to do with much more than just generational change and the internet.
    I'll counter by pointing out that I imagine Azzarello, as someone who lists Maus before Watchmen, was likely quite sincere in his praise for the book.

I won't get into the details of why DKSA flew over so many superhero readers' heads, but I think it's fair to say that it was poorly received for reasons that have to do with much more than generational change and the Internet as well.