Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I think that the way that Marvel's treated the X-Men is terrible. The X-Men's purpose was to train Mutants with control their powers. Not become a para military organization. The characters was to be integrated into the Marvel Universe; not segregated into their own universe. The whole X-Men has been one complete mess since 2000...

sure it would work! The X-verse is vast enough to sustain itself. Fox doesnt publish books but it could license the characters to a company like Image or Dark horse and let them do it. Marvel would never let that happen though...

if x-men were to ever get away from marvel, there would be an unheard-of creative exodus away from marvel to go along with them.

they'd be left with interns penciling and writing the rest of their properties. which is why it would never happen

BANNED

Probably not. Nobody has shown much interest in writing them. They usually go straight for Deadpool or Wolverine. 2 books that have nothing to do with the X-Men. And there's nobody doing any indie books that feels like an X-Book, which they legally could do if they wanted to.

i imagine it's a bit depressing to work on x-men under the current regime at marvel comics. who would ever want that job as it stands now?

I'm pretty sure DisMarvel would rather see the X-Men die in obscurity than sell off any more rights to them.

Quote Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
    I think the short answer is yes they could, and it would probably have more narrative consistency, while the long answer is yes, but we would lose some of the fun things that can happen in full MU that would be gone forever. Spider-man/Wolverine team-ups, shared villains, etc.

Personally I think the problem the last few years (aside from REALLY obvious corporate crap that some people refuse to acknowledge) is the attempt to shove the disparate parts of the MU together into a more linked whole. This idea probably is born out of the success of the links in the MCU, but it's a bad idea. The MU makes no sense. It never has, too many things go on at any one time that should have huge ramifications and yet never do. If you think too hard about it, it makes everyone crazy, evil, or stupid.

Take this new T-mist thing. If this is really threatening an entire ethnicity with extinction, this should be literal priority number 1 for every hero on the planet. If a REAL disease appeared tomorrow that possessed the REAL ability to wipe out a whole ethnicity, the REAL world would pretty immediately get on that. Sure, there'd be infighting and stupidity, but we would try. These people are supposed to be heroes, and yet the potential nonexistence of an entire group of people is going to basically be the plot of the X-men books and likely a few nods here and there in other books, the same way decimation was. And yet somehow we're not supposed to think these people are monsters.

Back when continuity was somewhat looser and the Avengers and X-men really only effected each other by showing up once in a while to fight, get over it, and beat the bad guy, that was fine, but now that the ties are becoming more and more linked, it becomes really apparent how screwed up the whole thing is.
    I don't have problems that the X-men are in other comics or all the MU universe are mixed... the problem I have is when the same character is in several X-book and no X-books in same time...

Example Storm... all the comics were happening in the same time frame but in one she was in the school while in another she was in space and another she was working with no mutants...

It was annoying... It will be nice that the character be only in one comic book and if she/he needs to be in another for X thing to happen that it show in the other comic that she/he will be away!!!

Not to have the same character in 5 different teams doing 5 different things in same time!!!

And we know many of the comics are in the same time frame because they show some connections or the comics are in the same story, like Age of Atom, where we could see some characters that in one comic is doing something but in the other comics or not there or is doing different things, only to see after that in the first comic they were continuing doing whatever they were doing...

I hope this stop after SW... if they need Storm in A-Force they show in the Extraordinary X-Men that she was in that time in A-Force and not make her continue whatever she was doing like she was never in A-force (that is an example, I don't know if A-Force will be in the same world that Extraordinary X-Men)...

Well, if you include Shi'ar, Excalibur/Captain Britain, Alpha Flight, Deadpool and Wolverine along with all the other X-Men supporting franchises in this potential universe then you could absolutely make it a universe that would rival DCU and (rest of) MU but how would we get there and how would it be executed exactly? It would either require a reboot of the whole X-Men history or some kind of in-story reason for X-Men universe to be separated and some x-history that has to do with non-x-properties would have to be rewritten. Of course it's possible that it could be done and that it would work but it will never happen because Marvel isn't stupid (or desperate) enough to ever again give up any more rights to the x-franchise. As we speak they are lamenting the last time they had to do that and I'm sure they've learned from their past experiences so we will never see X-Men completely owned by someone other than Marvel or see X-Men being published by another publishing house.

Quote Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
    I think the short answer is yes they could, and it would probably have more narrative consistency, while the long answer is yes, but we would lose some of the fun things that can happen in full MU that would be gone forever. Spider-man/Wolverine team-ups, shared villains, etc.

Personally I think the problem the last few years (aside from REALLY obvious corporate crap that some people refuse to acknowledge) is the attempt to shove the disparate parts of the MU together into a more linked whole. This idea probably is born out of the success of the links in the MCU, but it's a bad idea. The MU makes no sense. It never has, too many things go on at any one time that should have huge ramifications and yet never do. If you think too hard about it, it makes everyone crazy, evil, or stupid.

Take this new T-mist thing. If this is really threatening an entire ethnicity with extinction, this should be literal priority number 1 for every hero on the planet. If a REAL disease appeared tomorrow that possessed the REAL ability to wipe out a whole ethnicity, the REAL world would pretty immediately get on that. Sure, there'd be infighting and stupidity, but we would try. These people are supposed to be heroes, and yet the potential nonexistence of an entire group of people is going to basically be the plot of the X-men books and likely a few nods here and there in other books, the same way decimation was. And yet somehow we're not supposed to think these people are monsters.

Back when continuity was somewhat looser and the Avengers and X-men really only effected each other by showing up once in a while to fight, get over it, and beat the bad guy, that was fine, but now that the ties are becoming more and more linked, it becomes really apparent how screwed up the whole thing is.
    You make some very good points here. Marvel universe today tries to be much more connected than it used to be while simultaneously Marvel has given up on trying to coordinate all the books like they used to do before and it has made things look really bad at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I think that the way that Marvel's treated the X-Men is terrible. The X-Men's purpose was to train Mutants with control their powers. Not become a para military organization. The characters was to be integrated into the Marvel Universe; not segregated into their own universe. The whole X-Men has been one complete mess since 2000...

I could name hundreds if not thousands of great issues since 2000

Quote Originally Posted by veriaqa View Post
    The question should be, "Why they could not?" What reasons that would prevent them to survive in their own publishin company that too hard to handle? All of the above question can be solved easily. Write new myhtos, new villain, if needed reboot the universe. And We already have proof that X-men can survive and even reach success in their own universe without any other super beings i.e. the movie and the Evolution animated series.

So, I think Marvel should just relinquish the right to X-men (comics, merch, animated series, video games, etc) to Fox as a goodwill gift. That way Fox can expand their X-men universeto other medium and fans will be happy.
    Hmmm, I wonder if this would be worth returning the film rights for the FF, if they got all the X-rights in exchange. They'd likely just farm out the comics to an indie publisher, especially if they could get film rights to the other characters that publisher has in exchange.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Yes they could.

Give it to Image, and have writers like BKV, Remender, Hickman, Rucka, Kirkman, Deconnick, Liu, Cloonan, Luna, Millar, Faerber, Spencer, Ellis, and Stephenson to rotate turns taking cracks at different aspects of the franchise.

X-Men - Kirkman, BKV, Hickman, and Millar

X-Force - Ellis, Faerber, Remender and Rucka

X-Legacy - Stephenson, and Hickman

New Mutants/New X-Men - Luna, Remender and Spencer

X-Factor - BKV, w/ Staples

ANW/X-23 - Cloonan, and Luna

Magik - Deconnick, and Liu

We'd just have to get used to the 2-3 month breaks in-between arcs, but we'd be getting consistently amazing artwork.

I also don't mind the I don't have problems that the X-men are in other comics or all the MU universe are mixed. I never liked the exclusive country club mentality that was portrayed in some of the comics. You can't join the X-men because your not a mutant. We know your one of the biggest supporters for mutant rights. Sorry bud but no X-gene. It's just the terrible writing and portrayal of characters. Mystique has more character development in movies than in comics imo. As well as too much overexposure. At one point wolverine was all over the place. I get trying to give more exposure because of a upcoming movie but he was in like 3-4 titles at one point. Not to mention unless someone pays Marve a lot of money the X-men are not going anywhere.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

The X-Men brand alone has about as much or more lore than the rest of the MU. So let's say Marvel decides to completely segregate them in their own universe/reality where their doppelgangers or any other superhumans (heroes) don't exist via Dr Strange or the Beyonders, Scarlet Witch- whoever and treats this alternate reality like they treated The Ultimate universe. They exist in the multi-vese, but just not on 616. Hell yeah, they'd be 100% fine even better if their memories were wiped of ever being in the 616. From a storytelling standpoint and a catalog standpoint.

X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Factor, New Mutants/ X-Force, Generation-X, Excalibur, Wolverine, Cable; all these books existed simultaneously in the 90s with Annuals, Unlimited and several rotating mini-series and solos to boot and lets not even get into the post 00' titles like X-Treme, Amazing, and Astonishing. Some publishers dont have that many titles in their whole stable of books. As for villains... a lot of villains they faced were mutants themselves, but believe me introducing these strange beings into a new world with no non-mutant villains (humans) wont last long. Groups like FoH and the Purifiers will sprout up eventually and give birth to weapons like the Sentinels. Weapon-X and Weapon+ like programs will be born to harness and take advantage of the X-gene for military purposes. Then there is magic and mysticism, portals get opened up, things come out, someone becomes Sorcerer Supreme. All this madness attracts the attention of extraterrestrials; The Brood, The Phalanx and the Shi'Ar (the Phoenix Force). Apocalypse wakes up. The jealous or power hungry will start using other means (technology; cybernetics chemistry) to empower themselves or combat the super beings and then you'll get the Reavers, and super soldier programs. Humans are a part of nature. They naturally fear and hate, and nature always finds a way.

So yes, they'd be just fine. And their plight wont make every other hero in the universe look like slime for ignoring giant robots while they kidnap and kill people.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 09-22-2015 at 08:09 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    I could name hundreds if not thousands of great issues since 2000
    But have any of the characters been moved to other parts of the Marvel Universe? I would love to see Wolfsbane in Spider-man's world as part of the NYPD SWAT Team division and Mirage with The Avengers for example. And Peter Rasputin as part of the Daily Bugle as a cartoon and commercial illustrator.

BANNED

The Xmen would do fine somewhere else like IDW, Image, or Valiant