Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Would a mass boycott of the X-books work or would it be counter-productive?

A drop in sales might be exactly what Marvel wants. They would have the perfect excuse to cancel the line, if that's what they're wanting to do. I say keep buying them and show they we won't go down w./o a fight...

It's a catch-22 situation. If you don't buy the books, Marvel will say there is not enough interest/sales and cancel more X-Books. If you do buy them even though you don't actually like what is in them Marvel will say that's what people want because it's selling and keep producing more of it.

There is literally no way, as a fan, to win.

Personally, I am boycotting ordering any more Marvel comics until Uncanny X-Men #600 actually, FINALLY ships; or hell freezes over, whichever comes first(I'm betting on hell experiencing a cold front). Speaking as an Iceman fan, a month's delay, then four more month's delay, and now ANOTHER month's delay on that issue has been hell, and apparently a needless, ridiculous one at that. If Bendis is to be believed the comic was ready for print many MONTHS ago, and is being held up because of...*editorial reasons*

Uggh.

I dropped DC completely about a year after Flashpoint and the rise of the New52, and have cut my Marvel order to just a few books. My comic buying and reading focus is now on Image and Valiant. I not only enjoy what I read from them, I actually feel good about supporting them as publishers. At this point, I am completely turned off to DC and Marvel as publishers, and Secret Wars and the All-New ALL-Different Marvel reboot looks to be a good jumping off point for me.

Less of a boycott and more of a goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    A drop in sales might be exactly what Marvel wants. They would have the perfect excuse to cancel the line, if that's what they're wanting to do. I say keep buying them and show they we won't go down w./o a fight...
    Exactly. I think Marvel would love it if people started boycotting the X-men. It gives them exactly what they need to prop up the Inhumans. Never mind that to date, every effort at creating an Inhumans series has not succeeded in terms of sales. But if people stopped buying X-men, then Marvel certainly would love it because it means there's less support for X-men overall. That weakens Fox and that helps them. They want Inhumans to become bigger than X-men. They want the X-men to fade to the point where Fox will part with the movie rights. But that's never going to happen. Fox will never give up those rights. Just look at how terrible the Fantastic Four movie turned out. And yet Fox still wants to make a sequel. That should prove that Fox is never letting those rights go, no matter how much Marvel hates it. And by not supporting X-men in the comics, fans would just be giving Marvel more reasons to negate them. So it's really one of those catch 22 moments. There's really nothing we can do to change Marvel's approach to X-men.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Out of pure curiosity (I've read maybe 15 X-Men comics in my life and have no agenda or preferences about them what so ever): What's so bad about the upcoming X-books?
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Mighty Member

I think it would only work if people stopped buying all their stuff!

And stopped going to the movies - although, saying that, Age of Ultron got some bad reactions from fans and a lot of people were disappointed in Thor 2.

Movie wise, Marvel need to stop damselling their heroines.

You can't just boycott a book, they'd think it's just not selling well. They need to be made aware that a boycott is occuring, you need to specifically tell them why you aren't reading their books. And not just X-men, all of them.
    Last edited by The Fury; 09-16-2015 at 04:26 AM.

Ultimate Member

I think we should wait and see how good or bad the book are before we start dropping them.

I don't like what I've heard (the whole extinction angle has been played before) so far but the creative teams aren't bad and the stories just might turn out to be good.

If they end up being bad, then I'll stop reading.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    You can't just boycott a book, they'd think it's just not selling well. They need to be made aware that a boycott is occuring, you need to specifically tell them why you aren't reading their books. And not just X-men, all of them.
    If you want to boycott something, this is the way it has to be done in order to have any impact.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Out of pure curiosity (I've read maybe 15 X-Men comics in my life and have no agenda or preferences about them what so ever): What's so bad about the upcoming X-books?
    A lot of the old farts, I mean older/veteran readers, are not happy because 1) the upcoming storyline is kinda a re-do of the "decimation" era and 2) many characters are changing or disappearing and they expect the marvel universe to stay the same instead of working on pulling in new readers.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why said people are not happy with marvel, especially with the first reason. Luckily I started reading post AvX so that part doesn't bother me one bit.

Boycotting the x-men won't really help. Just buy what looks good to you, Marvel will do whatever they want.

I don't really care the Extinction angle is back, it's sad but it may lead to interesting stories. I just don't like the x-men/inhuman subtext (or just plain text) that this seems to be setting up another Hero Vs Hero conflict. Everyone comes off really bad when that happens. The story could go another route sure, but it's hard not to feel hesitant about it given all that's been presented so far.

At least maybe Magik can scar a few of them when the inevitable fighting ensues like the time she molested Dr. Strange in limbo.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    A lot of the old farts, I mean older/veteran readers, are not happy because 1) the upcoming storyline is kinda a re-do of the "decimation" era and 2) many characters are changing or disappearing and they expect the marvel universe to stay the same instead of working on pulling in new readers.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why said people are not happy with marvel, especially with the first reason. Luckily I started reading post AvX so that part doesn't bother me one bit.
    I always thought you could pull in new readers yet still keep the original fanbase; it seems a bit unfair to sacrifice one for the other.

Anyway this old fart is nowadays accustomed to the fact that the older you get, the less important you are, so I stick to indies these days. They're a lot cheaper too!

A mass boycott is implausible to begin with but if it was possible to achieve, it should be done to non-X-titles. However, Marvel has shown they don't care about existing demand. They'll try as hard as they possibly can to generate demand where it doesn't currently exist. e.g. the many Inhumans books

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Luckily I started reading post AvX so that part doesn't bother me one bit.
    "Luckily" isn't the word I'd use.

Mighty Member

It's funny, but I ended up taking Joe Q's advice to 'don't like, don't buy' not out of spite, but purely because I really didn't like them anymore! The loss of Rogue to the Avengers, the replacement of Logan by a teenage girl has put the final nail in the coffin, so to speak.

I tried very hard to read AvX recently, but gave up halfway through - the whole thing was an Avengers lovefest, and I honestly find how right wing the Avengers and SHIELD are lately a bit disturbing.

Luckily there are some great indies about.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    That they killing (again) all the mutants and making the inhumans take their place.. I'm not fan of the inhumans, but many friends that are fans hate what Marvel is doing to the inhumans... they are chaging them to become like mutants, live what mutants live, etc...

And the only reason is because Fox has the rights for movies and Disney hates that... they want 100% control...

In my case I will give my opinion after I read some of the x-books after SW, I will not judge until I read at last 5 numbers...

The only thing I'm not ok is that the mist is sterilizing the surviving mutants... and I will more than sure that the inhumans will not answer for this crime...

One of the things that interest me is to know what happen to Cyclops revolution... and any mutants that helped him!!!

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Don't we have the complex thread for this?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================