Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

No, never. We should keep supporting the mutants even if the book sucks! On the other hand we should boycott the Inhumans.

don't mistake a small group of people on the internet complaining for some mass movement.

Probably won't be buying any X-book outside of Deadpool and Deadpool & Cable. The whole T-Mist storyline just seems like a rehash of Decimation.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Schism had some good stories that had nothing to do with Schism, in fact the need to keep reminding everyone about the Schism really dragged the books down. Also, there were no good stories that came out of Decimation. None. That was a very bleak period for X-Men stories. Sorry, we got X-Factor, but the main line was junk.

Besides, can you honestly tell me that people did not quit? Have the sales of X-Men books gone up, down or stayed the same? Marvel has been relying on events and #1s, not stories, to keep up sales (to retailers) and now they are looking to flood the shelves with what looks like an all time high number of titles. I do not see X-Men sales being anywhere near the beginning of the Bendis run and I don't think Marvel's tricks are going to keep doing the job.

So, I hope for the sake of anyone buying the new books that they get some great stories, while they last.
    Schism gave us X-Men Legacy with team of Rogue. Which IMO was one of the best periods ever. I and many loved that time.

Decemination gave some awesome stories as well. Wolverines X-Force for example.

So as every change before and after, some do like change of fruit, others don't.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Doesn't all apples taste good? Some have different flavors but I like apples and oranges. As long as they are tastefully. So far the new x-line looks good and I'm all for change every now and then.

Honestly, right after every big change in the X-books over the years got us great stories.

As mentioned elsewhere; Fans responded hysterical when Age of Apocalypse started. Most saying they would stop buying X-Men. Then a decade later M-Day happened. Fans got hysterical. Most saying they would stop buying X-Men. Then some years later Schism happened. Fan became hysterical again. Most saying they would stop buying X-Men. Now the Terrican Mist comes as surprise surprise fans get hysterical and many saying they would stop buying X-Men. Get my point?
    My problem is that the apple fans had been happily getting their apples from the Marvel orchard until around 2000 when Marvel decided to have ALL the apple trees cut down and mulched and replaced them with orange trees instead. Why can't apple and orange trees coexist? Wouldnt it be more beneficial to the Marvel orchard to offer apples AND oranges to keep both groups happy instead of completely cutting off one of their customer bases?
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    don't mistake a small group of people on the internet complaining for some mass movement.
    You mean, like people complaining about Chuck Austen was a "small movement" in the internet, wasn't it? Or people complaining about Wolverine being overexposed was a "small movement" so much that sales for Wolverine books weren't affected at all in the last few years before he died, right? Or people complaining about OMD were a "small movement on the internet" so much that the book featuring a married Spidey for Secret Wars was a complete flop...

Marvel (and the people that like to suck up to them) ALWAYS claim anyone with negative opinions about the company is a "small movement on the internet".

As mentioned elsewhere; Fans responded hysterical when Age of Apocalypse started. Most saying they would stop buying X-Men. Then a decade later M-Day happened. Fans got hysterical. Most saying they would stop buying X-Men. Then some years later Schism happened. Fan became hysterical again. Most saying they would stop buying X-Men. Now the Terrican Mist comes as surprise surprise fans get hysterical and many saying they would stop buying X-Men. Get my point?
    And after all that the mutants are still here... less in numbers, but still here... and some mutants got their powers returned (one way or another) because the love people have on them or give other type of powers (vampire)...

In my case I will follow the 5 comics rule, if after 5 numbers I'm not interested I stop buying...

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

But here's the deal: most fans DID stop buying the books because of Marvel's non-sense. Here's X-men's sales in October 1996:

1 X-Men 59 $1.95 Marvel 202,024
    2 Uncanny X-Men 339 $1.95 Marvel 200,127
    3 Wolverine 108 $1.95 Marvel 179,775

Compare this to sales now. Sure there were other factors involved as well, but sales clearly indicate that most fans do put their money where their mouth is.

BANNED

Then it was down to 100k then 75k, 50k...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    But here's the deal: most fans DID stop buying the books because of Marvel's non-sense. Here's X-men's sales in October 1996:

Compare this to sales now. Sure there were other factors involved as well, but sales clearly indicate that most fans do put their money where their mouth is.
    You can't use sale numbers from 19 years ago to prove your point. People are not buying comics like they use to, its a different era. A lot of people are buying digital and or waiting for the compilations. There entire industry is down because instead of buying comics people want the newest video game and or the newest phone and so on.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
    You can't use sale numbers from 19 years ago to prove your point. People are not buying comics like they use to, its a different era. A lot of people are buying digital and or waiting for the compilations. There entire industry is down because instead of buying comics people want the newest video game and or the newest phone and so on.
    100% agree with this.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

There's a downward trend in the sales of comics in general for the last fifteen years (or maybe even longer). The only books that sell big numbers these days are crossovers/events or number ones.

For me the three team books announced all seem pretty intresting (and hopefully 92 will return as promised in the last issue) and I don't mind a tighter focus rather than eight team books or so like we got after Schism. I also don't think Marvel are looking to cancel the x-men, they're just not a priority any longer because they don't have the movie rights mixed in with the Marvel brand of pettiness.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Comic sales went down in general. So, in your theory means all comics of all companies had lots of disappointment fans? Sorry, I do not think that's logic
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"

Marvel (and the people that like to suck up to them) ALWAYS claim anyone with negative opinions about the company is a "small movement on the internet".
    and with good reason. just because you complain loud does not mean you are right.

Sure there are many factors as to why comics sales are down that aren't related to comics themselves (rise of films, tv shows and video games) but does that automatically mean that ALL decrease in sales can be attributed to those issues alone and has nothing to do with the quality having gone down hill? I'm pretty sure that increase in decompressed storytelling (which has led to single issues having less content than they had before) and the price has also done its part in killing comics sales even more. And X-Men comics in particular have lost readers over the last few years when comicbook films have become more popular than ever. Is it impossible to think that quality going down has played its part in that? Just because some people don't have issues with Marvel's handling of the X-Men doesn't mean that most fans don't have some issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    My problem is that the apple fans had been happily getting their apples from the Marvel orchard until around 2000 when Marvel decided to have ALL the apple trees cut down and mulched and replaced them with orange trees instead. Why can't apple and orange trees coexist? Wouldnt it be more beneficial to the Marvel orchard to offer apples AND oranges to keep both groups happy instead of completely cutting off one of their customer bases?
    And this is what X-Men is all about: fighting for the peaceful coexistence between apples and oranges!

No, wait...

Fighting for the peaceful coexistence between apple lovers and orange lovers!

Yeah, that's it!
    Last edited by JustAnotherFan; 09-16-2015 at 04:57 PM.