Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 92
  1. #16
    Spectral Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr6 View Post
    How is the pen-mouse?
    Would it work all by itself? Or do we need the entire set (tablets and the rest)?

    I ask this because I bought a pen mouse (I-pen) a year or so back and it just does the job for am amateur like me. I faced the same problem of not wanting to spend in excess of $400/500. So I settled on the i-pen which cost me a total of $25. But it seems its production has halted.

    Hence my query about the Monoprice's pen-mouse and if we can just buy the pen.
    Yep, for the drawing tablets they generally only work in synchronization as a tablet and pen set.

    By i-pen Im assuming you are looking for something to work with on your ipad? I know Wacom has a variety of ipad styluses you can use for drawing. http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-creative-stylus



    Though I cant say Im familiar with them. It seems to have favorable reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-C...+intuos+stylus
    Last edited by Ghost; 05-05-2014 at 03:50 PM.

  2. #17
    Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The true north strong and free!
    Posts
    247

    Default

    The best tip I ever got about illustration was to study Dr. Edwards' book.

    http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Right-.../dp/1585429201



    Here are samples of her student's before and after drawings that is part of her course. Dr. Edwards has you draw self portraits once before the actual course as a test to see where you're at and once again at the end to see how far you've developed. The improvement is almost always staggering.



    I worked as a traditional animator for a few years and every supervisor or colleague that I worked with swore by this book. I didn't read it myself until I was already working in the industry and it still had a profound affect/improvement on my art. Dr. Edwards makes drawing as easy as writing a paragraph and she can literally teach anyone to do it.

    If you haven't already checked out this book, I can't recommend it enough. Once that kind of proficiency is under your belt, your creative expression with vastly expand and even if your art doesn't change that much, it will become easier to crank out.

  3. #18
    Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    731

    Default

    I'm unsure of how sound the science behind "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" is but the exercises are fantastic and the core purpose of the book, which is breaking away from symbol drawing, is vital.

  4. #19
    Spectral Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    The best tip I ever got about illustration was to study Dr. Edwards' book.

    http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Right-.../dp/1585429201



    Here are samples of her student's before and after drawings that is part of her course. Dr. Edwards has you draw self portraits once before the actual course as a test to see where you're at and once again at the end to see how far you've developed. The improvement is almost always staggering.


    I worked as a traditional animator for a few years and every supervisor or colleague that I worked with swore by this book. I didn't read it myself until I was already working in the industry and it still had a profound affect/improvement on my art. Dr. Edwards makes drawing as easy as writing a paragraph and she can literally teach anyone to do it.

    If you haven't already checked out this book, I can't recommend it enough. Once that kind of proficiency is under your belt, your creative expression with vastly expand and even if your art doesn't change that much, it will become easier to crank out.
    Interesting! I'll check out the video to see what exercises she is suggesting. Thats cool you were an animator. Any notable projects?

  5. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Yep, for the drawing tablets they generally only work in synchronization as a tablet and pen set.

    By i-pen Im assuming you are looking for something to work with on your ipad? I know Wacom has a variety of ipad styluses you can use for drawing. http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-creative-stylus


    ]

    Well it's basically a mouse in the form of a pen, that gets plugged into my lap top. As simple as that.
    It comes with a thin plastic pad on which you write/draw. But isn't pressure sensitive. So I have to the extra work to adjust, trim, thin, ... the lines myself. But given this as my hobby, I guess it'd do.

    [IMG]http://t2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSA8vbbLIJe9iTDwILfhuCB7zZLfNZWJ x7uYRFK6KQiW1aBzbkSFw[/IMG]


    http://www.ebay.com/itm/I-Finger-Sys...item19ec9227f1



    So my question was would the monoprice pen (the pen only. As it seems they sell that by itself too) also work like this without having to buy the entire package (meaning the pad, ...)?
    Last edited by Dr6; 05-08-2014 at 11:28 AM.

  6. #21
    Spectral Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr6 View Post
    Well it's basically a mouse in the form of a pen, that gets plugged into my lap top. As simple as that.
    It comes with a thin plastic pad on which you write/draw. But isn't pressure sensitive. So I have to the extra work to adjust, trim, thin, ... the lines myself. But given this as my hobby, I guess it'd do.

    [IMG]http://t2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSA8vbbLIJe9iTDwILfhuCB7zZLfNZWJ x7uYRFK6KQiW1aBzbkSFw[/IMG]


    http://www.ebay.com/itm/I-Finger-Sys...item19ec9227f1



    So my question was would the monoprice pen (the pen only. As it seems they sell that by itself too) also work like this without having to buy the entire package (meaning the pad, ...)?
    Ah I see. Im not familiar with that particular brand myself so I cant speak from experience. But something about it makes me hesitant.. it seems to be mainly geared towards writing notes and not really art. And you will definitely want pressure sensitivity imo. If not now then maybe in the future as your style continues to evolve.

    The Monoprice pen is a replacement pen for the pen+tablet combo. To my knowledge Monoprice doesnt make a pen by itself that works that way, but I think Wacom does. Though I think that also is mainly geared towards note taking and not so much art.

  7. #22
    Spectral Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Some helpful resources Ive come across:

    Character Design Tips

    Lighting Techniques

    10 Typical Perspective Errors

    Anatomy References

    Color Scheme Tool


    Character Design:

    - Instead of focusing on details, try to initially build unique silhouettes/shapes. If a character was covered in shadow, would readers be able to recognize their shape or features?

    - Plan functional gear and attire. Also try to incorporate your characters surroundings and history into its design. Does he ever use that huge backpack hes wearing? Whats inside? Is it important where the backpack came from, when he got it, etc.

    - Simple characters are faster to draw. Consider all the small details you add will have to be drawn frame by frame in many different angles.

    This webinar is very helpful for character design:





    Use of Light:

    - Haze: Use beams of light in mist, smoke, haze to give illusion of depth.

    - The sky doesnt always have to be blue, and grass doesnt have to be green. Try experimenting with colors and lighting for temperature or ‘moods’. EX. Cold, Warm, Green-lush or illness, Red-Fierce or danger, Blue-Night or calm, etc.

    - Use foreground objects (dingle) to increase illusion of depth. Make it blurry/out of focus. Tree branch, characters shoulder, etc.

    - Use of deep shadows and harsh lighting can evoke a dark or moody atmosphere. Think of old Universal horror movies, German Expressionism.


  8. #23
    Spectral Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Here are some resources and tips for writing your own comics:

    Things you NEED to know to make a great comic

    How to write superhero stories

    Paper Wings tips for writing comics

    Jim Zub writing walkthrough

    Comic scripting template for Word

    Mark Waid writing 101

    Anina Bennett visual language

    Literary Techniques

    The Heros Journey Outline


    I have been writing a ton lately. Jim Zub's blog helped me immensely since I never was much of a writer before. If you only have time to check out one blog, Id give his a try.

    Almost forgot, I also recommend checking out Scott McClouds 'Understanding Comcs' and Will Eisner's ' Comics and Sequential Art'. They really helped me to get a much deeper understanding of comics as a whole.





    Feel free to share your knowledge. Writers, letterers, colorists, inkers, pencillers, and editors. Seasoned vets or hobbyists. Any and all advice is helpful. Share any resources, tips, tricks or ideas with other artists. Or even ask for advice on improving your own craft.
    Last edited by Ghost; 05-23-2014 at 10:55 AM.

  9. #24
    Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The true north strong and free!
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Interesting! I'll check out the video to see what exercises she is suggesting. Thats cool you were an animator. Any notable projects?
    A couple of feature films back in the 90's and some breakfast commercials with some iconic characters but for the most part it was just T.V. shows you've probably never heard of.

  10. #25
    Rookie Member Dr Mike 2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Wow! That looks like an awesome list of links to follow, Ghost! There goes my Saturday!

    And I'll second Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics" - its great to read just to have a technical language for comic making, and to draw attention to all those little things you always knew but never quite articulated.
    Writer/artist of the 37th C superhero webcomic Universe Gun - www.universegun.com

  11. #26
    Spectral Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    A couple of feature films back in the 90's and some breakfast commercials with some iconic characters but for the most part it was just T.V. shows you've probably never heard of.
    Awesome. If you dont mind me asking, are you still in the business? I really admire animators. I dont think I have the patience and dedication for that type of work, especially traditional cel animation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mike 2000 View Post
    Wow! That looks like an awesome list of links to follow, Ghost! There goes my Saturday!

    And I'll second Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics" - its great to read just to have a technical language for comic making, and to draw attention to all those little things you always knew but never quite articulated.
    Thanks Dr Mike, I hope theyre of use.

    I agree. Have you ever read any of Scott McClouds other books? Id really like to check them out someday.

  12. #27
    Rookie Member Dr Mike 2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    91

    Default

    I've got a copy of "Making Comics" by McCloud, and yeah, its definitely worth picking up. Its more or less in the same vein as "Understanding Comics", but written 13 years later. Theres the same kind of technical dissection of what we take for granted in telling a story in comics, and some intriguing theories on the interplay between picture and word streams, and the four tribes of comic makers, and so on.

    I'd highly recommend it.

    I haven't actually read any of his comics though. I really must grab some Zot! one of these days.
    Writer/artist of the 37th C superhero webcomic Universe Gun - www.universegun.com

  13. #28
    Veteran Member Groo Odyssey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,070

    Default

    Thanks for the great links ghost.

  14. #29
    Spectral Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Here are some comic Lettering and Logo creation resources:

    Lettering:
    Balloon Tales Lettering Tips

    Todd Klein's Lettering Blog

    Jim Campbell Man Of Letters

    Nate Piekos Comic Grammar

    Logos:
    Successful Logo Design

    Grim Leaper Logo Design process

    Logo Design: 55 Pro Tips

    Create A Professional Logo

    How To Make A Logo

    Comicraft also has a book on lettering, "Comic Book Lettering: the Comicraft Way.

    Last edited by Ghost; 05-30-2014 at 07:34 PM.

  15. #30
    Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The true north strong and free!
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Awesome. If you dont mind me asking, are you still in the business? I really admire animators. I dont think I have the patience and dedication for that type of work, especially traditional cel animation.
    Nope, not for a decade now. Traditional animation got creamed by computer animation at the end of the nineties and the job market shrunk drastically. I was working as a layout artist near the end but I got tired of "polishing other people's turds" so I struck out on my own and now I polish my own turds in the form of independent comic books.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •