Default Superfictious: My Superhero Fiction Blog

rsz_d26a2-scary-devils-eyes_1.jpg

“The dreams are getting stronger,” August said, thumping his forehead against the passenger window as Samson Falls zoomed by. The world was gray and listless. Buildings, statues, people...everything appeared and disappeared with hueless flashes, like bloodless blinks, leaving only a few specks of color in between. On the periphery, a Cape dressed in red tried to contain a protest, but even his costume was dingy-gray with disrepute.

From the driver’s seat, Dr. Trance muttered acknowledgement. “Interesting descriptive, August. Why not worse, or more vivid?

Why the word ‘stronger’? ”

You’re the therapist, you tell me.

The outside world siphoned his thoughts away. It wasn’t just gray, but frayed. Muggy. A family---man, woman, and girl--stood beside the street. As the car passed them August turned in his seat, his eyes transfixed on the three stringed balloons above the girl’s head. Three balloons, three colors. The only three colors in the otherwise gray world.

August turned and crouched in his seat, clutching his stomach. Samson Falls, the cleanest, most crime free city in the world was making August sick.

“It’s...I only dream in red, green, and blue.”

“Primary colors,” Dr. Trance said, correcting him, his voice academic.

“Yeah. Primary colors. But the red is taking over.

“The red is so strong now.”

Suddenly August plastered his face and hands against the glass, a mime in terror. The same family, the same girl, the same balloons.

Once again the car passed them, but this time as the family faded into the rear, August refused to turn away. Red, green, blue, green, red, blue, green...the balloons twisted and twisted on their strings. August’s mouth slacked. His eyes watered. The balloons twisted and turned until POP, the red balloon exploded, its red spreading like a virus, tentacled, leaving the world behind stillborn, a tv screen with warped pixels.

...continue reading on my blog...
    Last edited by superfictious; 06-11-2014 at 07:39 AM.