View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • '68 Last Rites #2 (of 4)

0 0%
  • The Beauty #2

2 4.26%
  • Death Vigil #8 (of 8)

3 6.38%
  • The Fade Out #9

9 19.15%
  • Invincible #123

4 8.51%
  • Island #3

2 4.26%
  • Manifest Destiny #17

4 8.51%
  • ODY-C #7

1 2.13%
  • Rat Queens #12

2 4.26%
  • Secret Identities #7

3 6.38%
  • Sex Criminals #12

4 8.51%
  • Shutter #15

1 2.13%
  • Southern Cross #5

1 2.13%
  • Tokyo Ghost #1

11 23.40%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It's a pick 'em for me: Tokyo Ghost and Fade Out.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Spectacular Member

Sex Criminals was an absolute genius, stupid, hilarious, touching, I-don't-even-know-what issue that I really can't say enough good things about. BUT, I gave the nod to Tokyo Ghost. Huge Remender fan and this series looks like it's going to be a real treat.

Incredible Member

I went with Fade Out over Tokyo Ghosts. Invincible is ordinarily an automatic vote for me, but a fade Out and Tokyo Ghosts were clearly better books this week, so o went with my favorite book of the week over my favorite series.

Anyone else think Rat Queens has been kind of meh lately? Used to be great and would easily blow away the competitions in our weekly poll. I'm going to give the writer a pass as there's been a lot turmoil and artist turnovers over the last few months through no fault of Kurtis. I'm liking the new artist and I'm hoping it can recapture the magic that it once had. I don't want to see this title go the way of Peter Panzerfaust and get cancelled out of nowhere. Rat Queens has so much potential to be truly transcendent. The last few issues have been really subpar compared to what it once was. Hope the creative team can put the past troubles behind them and get their creative juices flowing again.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 09-18-2015 at 09:17 AM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    I don't want to see this title go the way of Peter Panzerfaust and get cancelled out of nowhere.
    You mean Peter Panzerfaust is over? lol I was assuming this was just a long break to fine tune the final arc. Fuuuudge.
    I haven't read the newest Rat Queens issue yet, but the last few have failed to hit that same spot as the early issues. I miss spending half of every issue taking drugs with Betty. Too much plot, not enough parties in between. I always liked this book for its charm over its plots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    You mean Peter Panzerfaust is over? lol I was assuming this was just a long break to fine tune the final arc. Fuuuudge.
    Pretty sure it's technically on indefinite hiatus, but if I recall correctly Wiebe has basically said that new issues of Panzerfaust aren't making them any money. It's unfortunate, but I do understand the argument that you wouldn't want to be working at least 2 full months just to lose money on the final issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Pretty sure it's technically on indefinite hiatus, but if I recall correctly Wiebe has basically said that new issues of Panzerfaust aren't making them any money. It's unfortunate, but I do understand the argument that you wouldn't want to be working at least 2 full months just to lose money on the final issues.
    Damn, I was holding out hope for a conclusion. Wiebe has had a string of bad luck with that and Pieces and now Rat Queens is kinda meh. Maybe he should stick to minis.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    Damn, I was holding out hope for a conclusion. Wiebe has had a string of bad luck with that and Pieces and now Rat Queens is kinda meh. Maybe he should stick to minis.
    Part of me believes they'll finish it eventually. If nothing else there were extensive talks about a TV adaptation a year ago; if any of that were to move ahead I'm assuming they'll at least want to lay down an endgame before moving into production. But yeah Wiebe has been unlucky, Green Wake was shorter than planned too. Suspect Rat Queens is the main priority right now, hopefully that'll sort itself out now that they have Fowler on-board.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I miss spending half of every issue taking drugs with Betty. Too much plot, not enough parties in between. I always liked this book for its charm over its plots.
    Yeah, that was one of the reasons why I loved the title so much, was for its charm. There was one issue where it was entirely devoted to having one giant party to celebrate their victory at battle, loved that so much. Hilarious watching Betty frolicking around hooked on drugs and booze having a good time. I now think it was Roc who was the perfect fit for the title and was a huge part of Rat Queens charm. The title just isn't the same anymore.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I like Rat Queens, I like Southern Cross, but the density of The Fade Out's story, and the reality of the characters make it The Fade Out for my vote this week.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Yeah, that was one of the reasons why I loved the title so much, was for its charm. There was one issue where it was entirely devoted to having one giant party to celebrate their victory at battle, loved that so much. Hilarious watching Betty frolicking around hooked on drugs and booze having a good time. I now think it was Roc who was the perfect fit for the title and was a huge part of Rat Queens charm. The title just isn't the same anymore.
    I miss Roc as much as the next guy, but I still feel RQ has it's charm. Kurtis can write the sh*t out of these characters and imo the book is just as goofy and fun as it ever was. It is a damn shame about Upchurch though, because the book was close to perfection when he was on it.

I picked up Rat Queens and Tokyo Ghosts this week. Tokyo Ghosts gets my vote cuz I'm just not loving Tess Fowler's art so far on Rat Queens.

Sex Criminals came very close to getting my vote. But ultimately, the final issue of Secret Identities stole the vote in a shocking upset. I just assumed I would be voting Tokyo Ghost, but for the first time in forever, Remender disappointed.

As for the ongoing Rat Queens discussion, I have lightened up on my criticisms with issue 12. Hopefully I just get used to the new art soon and the book goes back to normal and another 50 issues hiatus-free.
    And why can't we bring back Roc again? If he was a good football player, he would be forgiven.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 09-19-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Manifest Destiny gets my vote. Only book out of the stack I am currently reading.

A really good week for Image in my opinion. Some highlights:

-ODY-C is really firing on all cylinders now, it looks gorgeous and there's a real rythm beginning to form. I like Fraction's "everything goes" approach here; he's not trying to respect/uphold the original Odyssey text too much. Therefore the seemingly bizarre cross-over with 1001 Nights (and Moby Dick now too?) feels kinda fitting. Comics cross over all the time, why the heck shouldn't a classic adapation comic, then?

-Island Magazine is doing a lot of cool stuff, I liked Simon Roy's contribution as well as the Ancestor story. Do feel Ludroe's story has been going on for too long though, think right now I prefer what they did with Emma Rios' story - 2 consecutive magazines and its done.

-Southern Cross, I checked back in with this after liking the manga-style cover. It's really improved and feels cramped & confined. Was a bit lost story-wise but will go back to the issues I missed. Voted for this one, even though I liked ODY-C better, simply because that way there's a vote for almost every book this week!