Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This issue was a big improvement for me, the change in art really helped things and I feel the plot got tidied up along with it. It's not my favorite X-men Secret Wars book but it seems to be heading for a nice ending. Also the deaths were all handled pretty nicely.

BANNED

That's Aero aka Melody, the Guthrie girl with flight powers who got depowered during the Decimation

seems like another lets make storyline as convulted as possibl until we get Phoenixed Jean to do away with everything with a nice ribbon on top

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Grey View Post
    seems like another lets make storyline as convulted as possibl until we get Phoenixed Jean to do away with everything with a nice ribbon on top
    I was shooting for a cherry on top, but a ribbon should work just as well. :-)

- fn

Anyone else notice that Jean and Emma basically switched places in this version of AoA? In the original Jean was the psychic of the team and was married to Logan while Emma had the part of her brain governing her powers removed rendering her effectively human. Here Emma is the team psychic and married to Magneto while Jean had the part of her brain governing her powers removed rendering her effectively human.

At first I didn't want to pick this series up because the original made my stomach turn (and not in a good way). I'm glad I did, though. For me the whole Mags/Rogue thing was just too unbelievable. I've heard it said that Mr. Nicieza is a ROMY fan, and if you're reading this reply, sir: thank you SO much for putting them together here. Even though it ended in tragedy, it was much more in-line with life in the 616 universe.

In general, I liked the art for the first 3 issues, but I realllllly liked it in #4. The story definitely has a fatalistic feel to it that's more gripping than the worthless shock factor that the X-Men and *ahem* certain Uncanny Avengers writers have been shoving down our throats for the last couple of years. Between this reboot of AoA and E for Extinction, I'm actually happy to shell out comic book money for the first time in ages!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spasticat View Post
    At first I didn't want to pick this series up because the original made my stomach turn (and not in a good way). I'm glad I did, though. For me the whole Mags/Rogue thing was just too unbelievable. I've heard it said that Mr. Nicieza is a ROMY fan, and if you're reading this reply, sir: thank you SO much for putting them together here. Even though it ended in tragedy, it was much more in-line with life in the 616 universe.
    Actually, I was never much of a Remy/Rogue fan but I inherited that growing relationship and felt obliged to continue developing that sub-plot thread.

I prefer Remy to not be in a steady relationship, since it allows him to be a charming dick without being a charming, cheating dick. :-)

- fn

Quote Originally Posted by FabianNicieza View Post
    Actually, I was never much of a Remy/Rogue fan but I inherited that growing relationship and felt obliged to continue developing that sub-plot thread.

I prefer Remy to not be in a steady relationship, since it allows him to be a charming dick without being a charming, cheating dick. :-)

- fn
    See that is one of the reasons why I got so glad when I noticed that Fabian was replacing Kurt back on Thunderbolts. He builds upon what was and then continues in whatever fashion that he wants, making it feel like a natural continuation.

I can respect someone who wants to try something new but people who continue to build and strengthen the work is the reason why I'm still reading. As someone stated in another thread: People like Fabian and PAD are the reason why not only the X-men survived post Claremont but they continued to thrive and grow even bigger.

On a sidenote: I showed the cover to my girlfriend. She did not like it one bit. I tried do defend it but I couldn't find the arguments. It's well drawn though.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Anyone else notice that Jean and Emma basically switched places in this version of AoA? In the original Jean was the psychic of the team and was married to Logan while Emma had the part of her brain governing her powers removed rendering her effectively human. Here Emma is the team psychic and married to Magneto while Jean had the part of her brain governing her powers removed rendering her effectively human.
    I noticed and am still trying to figure out the purpose of switching their roles no disrespect towards Mr. Nicieza, but it does seem like the retread of having the team rescue Jean only for her to in-turn rescue them. And I'm just waiting til the day that plot point is exhausted she's more than a vessel for a cosmic force, hell she's a pretty damn powerful Tp/Tk on her own.

And to be clear its not that I'm being down on this choice of plot or the way the plot currently seems, it's just usually it runs the same way the "rescuee" never becomes useful or an equal contributor to the narrative until the very end of the story.
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 09-17-2015 at 02:57 PM.

I think Burner is the golden age Human Torch or related to him.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    I know I shouldn't but I'm gonna...
    Why on Battleworld do you think that?
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by FabianNicieza View Post

- fn
    Given the last few years treatment of gambit are likely to ever see a version of Gambit who isn't dead, someone's whipping boy, wallpaper or a bad caricature again? Outside of the movies I mean. Of all the books noted at the moment none would seem to be a good home for him.
    Last edited by Jiraiya; 09-17-2015 at 06:13 PM.

This is my favorite book out of Secret Wars. The art is nice and takes you back to the original AoA. Only thing I thought was a bit out of nowhere was Emma, but I liked it anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    He literally says his power is to make your blood boil. He's Adam-X, The X-Treme. Geez, kids these days.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Cypher as the POV isn't necessary to telling the story just like the character is useless to the situation. Why did Apocalypse and Magneto think he was important enough to risk the lives of their elite to get him? Cypher hasn't said anything that the writer as narrator couldn't have said better while freeing up page time to focus on the real stars. Unless Cypher breaks a code and finds a Legacy antivirus, he's been completely wasted in the book.
    The deus ex prediction seems to line up with what some of the more in-depth reviews are saying. Too bad, but that seems to be Cypher's role about half the time. But maybe we'll get the stunning surprise twist of him not biting it in an AU for once.

I was going to pick up this series for nostalgia value plus my fave New Mutant, but the $5 first issue put me off. At that price, might as well wait for the pre-order discount on the trade. But we'll see how it turns out before I visit Amazon.