View Poll Results: Do you like how Black Cat is being written as a villain?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 6.06%
  • No

27 81.82%
  • Don't care/indifferent

4 12.12%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Default Black Cat's Heel Turn

So as anyone reading Spider-Man knows, Black Cat has gone completely over to the dark side recently. While I do understand that the reason is supposed to be her loss of fortune and being arrested while also being humiliated, I thought once Peter explained the situation to Felicia, she'd back down. Except she hasn't. Black Cat has always been more of an anti-hero, but I do find it a bit hard to believe she'd so easily turn into such an evil villain. And not just trying to rebuild her fortune, but actively trying to kill Spidey and Silk multiple times. It's almost so unbelievable, I keep thinking it'll be revealed she was possessed or her bad luck powers had an influence over her. I mean, at this point how could she redeem herself in the eyes of fans or Spider-Man? It's not very easy to come back from trying to kill someone unless you've got the whole 'my bad luck powers made me bad' excuse.

I haven't read the Spiral storyline in the point issues of Amazing Spider-Man, so I don't know if that's actually a possible theory or what. If anyone can better explain the whole abrupt heel turn to me, I'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    I haven't read the Spiral storyline in the point issues of Amazing Spider-Man, so I don't know if that's actually a possible theory or what. If anyone can better explain the whole abrupt heel turn to me, I'd appreciate it.
    spoilers:
    Spiral made minimal use of Felicia. The main points are that she was the last man standing at the end of the gang war and that Peter has accepted that she's lost and he will have to confront her eventually.
    end of spoilers

I agree, Black Cat is just a too good of an anti hero to just be a villain. Hopefully Dan Slott will change that eventually.

Incredible Member

What's to say but that Slott is trying to character assassinate Felicia.
    It's crap and doesn't make sense and has hurt one if the best anti-heroines in Marvel.
    The sooner he is called on this and it's reversed the better

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    I agree, Black Cat is just a too good of an anti hero to just be a villain. Hopefully Dan Slott will change that eventually.
    Your joking right. It's Slott whose responsible for this
    Sorry Deep breaths deep breaths.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    spoilers:
    Spiral made minimal use of Felicia. The main points are that she was the last man standing at the end of the gang war and that Peter has accepted that she's lost and he will have to confront her eventually.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I wonder if it might lead to her death?
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

I think that Tigra could fill the role that Black Cat once had with Spider-Man. What people forget is that Greer was actually Spider-Man's first heroine crime fighting partner. Unlike The Black Cat, Tigra/The Cat was not based on Catwoman at all. She provides a good contrast to Felicia whereby she's a Police Officer whose job is to uphold the law. Tigra might be one of the few allies within the NYPD who could bring Felicia to her senses if Spider-Man can't do the job because she knows Spider-Man's secret identity....

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I think that Tigra could fill the role that Black Cat once had with Spider-Man. What people forget is that Greer was actually Spider-Man's first heroine crime fighting partner. Unlike The Black Cat, Tigra/The Cat was not based on Catwoman at all. She provides a good contrast to Felicia whereby she's a Police Officer whose job is to uphold the law. Tigra might be one of the few allies within the NYPD who could bring Felicia to her senses if Spider-Man can't do the job because she knows Spider-Man's secret identity....
    She wasn't based off Catwoman though. She would not have remained popular for 35 years if she was.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Cat_(comics)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I think Slott is doing a good job with evil Black Cat. If Felicia had forgiven Peter after he explained the mind switch situation, which was half Peter's fault, it would've been highly unrealistic (what is this, Fantastic Four?).

When is Slott gonna bring back Silver Sable though?

Going back to some of her earliest appearances, Felicia has always been a bit mentally/emotionally unstable, so her heel turn is not such a shock to me. I do think she will eventually come back around since Spidey's female supporting cast is on life support these days and Black Cat is one of his best supporting characters.
    Good question about Silver Sable; how long will she remain "dead?"

iMan 42s

Apart of me wishes more was done between Felicia and Otto. He punches her which leads to her arrest but I would hardly call that grounds for her to go full super villain, just give her a grudge against Peter. Even when Peter explains what happened and many of the New York heroes now know that another spider-man was running around in Amazing's place then shouldn't Felecia have taken a hint? Peter was brain dead and for all intents and purposes had nothing to do with Cat ending up the way she did.

This is a universe that has shape shifting aliens, suits that can mimic powers and costumes, super geniuses that can mimic powers and costumes and Felicia really doesn't believe Peter could have his mind swapped for a year? She lives in a universe where New York and even the world was mind controlled by a guy using nano bots and germs and she can't understand that a superhero could be mind swapped. Even if it is a respect thing, nobody in the criminal underworld took her seriously anyways. And compared to villains who are strong enough to destroy planets and psychopaths who take joy in flaying victims like they are the darn Predator, I'm having a hard time taking Felicia seriously by comparison.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlly View Post
    Going back to some of her earliest appearances, Felicia has always been a bit mentally/emotionally unstable, so her heel turn is not such a shock to me. I do think she will eventually come back around since Spidey's female supporting cast is on life support these days and Black Cat is one of his best supporting characters.
    Good question about Silver Sable; how long will she remain "dead?"
    Felicia while not a hero as such was or is the anti-hero. That's what makes her so great as well as a great Spider-man love interest because she is not just the white hat.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Apart of me wishes more was done between Felicia and Otto. He punches her which leads to her arrest but I would hardly call that grounds for her to go full super villain, just give her a grudge against Peter. Even when Peter explains what happened and many of the New York heroes now know that another spider-man was running around in Amazing's place then shouldn't Felecia have taken a hint? Peter was brain dead and for all intents and purposes had nothing to do with Cat ending up the way she did.

This is a universe that has shape shifting aliens, suits that can mimic powers and costumes, super geniuses that can mimic powers and costumes and Felicia really doesn't believe Peter could have his mind swapped for a year? She lives in a universe where New York and even the world was mind controlled by a guy using nano bots and germs and she can't understand that a superhero could be mind swapped. Even if it is a respect thing, nobody in the criminal underworld took her seriously anyways. And compared to villains who are strong enough to destroy planets and psychopaths who take joy in flaying victims like they are the darn Predator, I'm having a hard time taking Felicia seriously by comparison.
    That's just the problem. If Slott wants her to be bad, he should've given it some build up. Instead, all we get is SpOck 'Chris Browning' her and leaving her for the cops. Her already public identity is apparently re-revealed to the public which causes her to go crazy over the loss of her street-cred? The story doesn't make any sense because it ignores anything that's ever been done with the character. She might as well be a different character.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I think Slott is doing a good job with evil Black Cat. If Felicia had forgiven Peter after he explained the mind switch situation, which was half Peter's fault, it would've been highly unrealistic (what is this, Fantastic Four?).
    Not really. Felicia has fought along side a herald of Galactus and the Sorcerer Supreme, I'm pretty sure she'd have very little trouble understanding Peter's explanation. With it being partially Peter's fault, she might stay mad at him for a little while, but that's about the extent it should have taken. Her latest heel turn has blown things way out of proportion. She's not a fun character anymore.

Spectacular Member

Totally agree with everything you said spyderbytes. The biggest issue I have with her villain turn is that she really is a totally different character at this point. If she was allowed to still be written as playful and fun, but still self serving and selfish her turn could still be an entertaining read. Making her an overly serious character that doesn't bat an eye about murder is so wildly different than what made readers care about the character.

Her whole turn has just been a drag since Felicia was the Marvel character I was always most interested in reading when she popped up in stories, but now I dread all her new appearances further pulling her character down her current path.

Best explanation that fits with earlier depictions of the character is that she's got mental health issues.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets