Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightningmax View Post
    Here's where I have to stand firm I'm not trying to start a flame war, but saying left or right orientation is irrelevant, is incorrect. Ryan says either work because an editor can fix your mistake, and let's be clear it is a mistake. Knowing which page is your turn page is what separates the professionals from the dabblers. All comic book artists have heard this -- know the rule before you break the rule!

A professional respects the medium, those asking the question are showing an interest in how the medium works. Dismissing the question of right left orientation as a non-question does not help writers get better at this medium, that is the reason why I answered with an explanation based on science as well as the medium. If you don't understand the medium you can understand the science. We can only get better by solving all the problems before the editorial stage. Our job as collaborators is to make the other artists' (writers, pencilers, inkers, letterers, colorists) jobs easier. If a penciler has to fix the pages because the writer didn't know which was his turn page -- a DC Senior Editor corrected me about not fixing the writer's errors in a trial script. (Ryan: I'm on their radar just haven't been given a chance yet) -- then that is considered the pencilers' fault. Making sure that writer's are aware of this is my responsibility, helping each other is why we are on this board.
    I think the placement of a particular page or two is something easily fixed. Most of the Top Cow books have the recap page, plus ads, backup stories, and letter pages etc. We can't be expected to guess in advance what ads they're going to run so far in advance of a story's publication. Especially at this stage in the game where we are not a company employee or established writer/ artists in any way. If Ryan says it doesn't matter, then it doesn't matter. DC recently started running half page ads, they didn't have to consult their writers, or artists, they had to work around it. Marvel ran half page ads all throughout the 80s, I don't think they told the writers in advance which page their ads where running on, most likely two separate departments were handling the publishing side and the talent side. Remember comics ARE an art form, but most importantly a vehicle to sell kids and adult nerds crap like bubble gum and cereal.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightningmax View Post
    Midnight Pacific Standard Time, so you evil east coast people get three extra hours. While us sweet innocent west coasters only get until midnight to get our critique submission in.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game Brah!

All-New Member

So I figured I'd try to get some feedback from the community. I have already posted all of the samples on my other sites as well.

http://jaredrank.blogspot.com/2016/0...hunt-1516.html

Thank you .
    Attached Images Attached Images

All-New Member

I missed the deadline. I feel like crap lol. But I will try my best for the final deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by dubb3r View Post
    So I figured I'd try to get some feedback from the community. I have already posted all of the samples on my other sites as well.

Thank you .
    I like it. Good figures, good expressions and layouts. Great hands One thing though, it's sometimes a bit hard to see the difference between his office and the buildings outside, because the lines are the same size. Color could make it more obvious, of course. The smoke close-up in the first page I do like. It has different lines, attracts the eye to the important bit. I hope that helps you in some way

I just wanted to thank Top Cow again for this opportunity. Don't hold back on that feedback. Give me the hard truth This talent hunt, it will open doors, even if you don't win or get feedback, you will improve just by participating and inevitably attract the right people. I did for me and hopefully this time again Thank you. You're awesome!
    I think I'll post my pages later for all to judge Good luck, everyone. Don't give up hope and stay professional.

Alright, so about that whole starts on the left or right thingy.
    I think it is very important. I write to the page turn with page one (and every consecutive odd number pages) on the right side. If my script were to be published with page 1 starting on the left, it would pretty much destroy my story and ruin all my page turn reveals. This is why I have a huge reveal on page 12 and not 11. I put all my 'cliffhanger' moments at the bottom of odd number pages so as to incite the reader to turn the damn page and see the reveal (Kaboom!) on the even number page.
    I think when Ryan says that both work, he means that you, the writer, should know whether or not you start on the right or left side and where your page turns fall.
    I don't mean to add to the fire or anything.
    Just my two cents.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by SaraKpn View Post
    I like it. Good figures, good expressions and layouts. Great hands One thing though, it's sometimes a bit hard to see the difference between his office and the buildings outside, because the lines are the same size. Color could make it more obvious, of course. The smoke close-up in the first page I do like. It has different lines, attracts the eye to the important bit. I hope that helps you in some way
    Thank you so much for the feedback I really appreciate it . Yes it does help.

Shirt Is Optional Member Attila Kiss's Avatar

"In a book, the side of a leaf one rea is called the recto page and the other side is called the verso page. In a spread, one reads the verso page first and then reads the recto page of the next leaf. In English-language books, the recto page is on the right and the verso page is on the left."- Wikipedia
    Even though, I decided to pass on these open submissions for a foreseeable future, (after Oni-Press' very generic, cookie cutter respond), I really hope you guys and gals will get a nice, constructive, personalized response from Top Cow. Good luck to everyone who entered, I will definitely check out the winning entries. Speaking of which, does anyone know when will we get to see the best from the last years competition?

Spectacular Member

Here's where I have to stand firm I'm not trying to start a flame war, but saying left or right orientation is irrelevant, is incorrect. Ryan says either work because an editor can fix your mistake, and let's be clear it is a mistake. Knowing which page is your turn page is what separates the professionals from the dabblers. All comic book artists have heard this -- know the rule before you break the rule!

A professional respects the medium, those asking the question are showing an interest in how the medium works. Dismissing the question of right left orientation as a non-question does not help writers get better at this medium, that is the reason why I answered with an explanation based on science as well as the medium. If you don't understand the medium you can understand the science. We can only get better by solving all the problems before the editorial stage. Our job as collaborators is to make the other artists' (writers, pencilers, inkers, letterers, colorists) jobs easier. If a penciler has to fix the pages because the writer didn't know which was his turn page -- a DC Senior Editor corrected me about not fixing the writer's errors in a trial script. (Ryan: I'm on their radar just haven't been given a chance yet) -- then that is considered the pencilers' fault. Making sure that writer's are aware of this is my responsibility, helping each other is why we are on this board.
    You might be right in a general sense, but I think this is something which Top Cow is flexible on.

Looking at the One Shots, the story pages for Artemis IX, Apollo IX and Poseidon IX all start on the left. In Artemis IX, the story pages start on the right. In Athena IX there is an advert page on the inside cover. In the others there is not.

I absolutely appreciate your points and I'm sure everyone else does too, but in these circumstances, it appears both do work.

Just received email confirmation that I am entitled to a one paragraph feedback. This feels good.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by dubb3r View Post

Thank you .
    I really liked how you focused on the women on the floor, and the men's feet underscoring how they were being subjugated. That's really the kind of thing that would add dimension to a story. Your style is really clean, adding some shading, and varying the line weights a little will make the figures pop more. I had trouble in some panels distinguishing the foreground from the background. Particularly the panel where he's braking the painting over his knee. I believe you meant that image to be more dynamic, but it resulted a bit flat. Try a change of pose or camera angle, you'd be amazed what a slight tilt of camera angle could do. You could also close up on Ares IX to make sure the reader gets the action. Overall really awesome stuff, competition is hard this year. Good luck

Spectacular Member

I also received the letter saying I made the deadline. Can't wait for the feedback !!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Attila Kiss View Post
    Even though, I decided to pass on these open submissions for a foreseeable future, (after Oni-Press' very generic, cookie cutter respond), I really hope you guys and gals will get a nice, constructive, personalized response from Top Cow. Good luck to everyone who entered, I will definitely check out the winning entries. Speaking of which, does anyone know when will we get to see the best from the last years competition?
    I suspect I got the same letter as you from Oni. I think it's funny because in their statement they went on about diversity of characters and creators blah blah, and all I've seen fro them so far is Invader Zim and more generic scifi. I like Invader Zim, but it doesn't scream "diversity" to me.

Transcend

Missed the deadline also! I will Look at the bright side- the hard deadline is a while from now so we have time to improve it regardless.
    Last edited by givesight; 01-18-2016 at 01:21 PM.