Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Custom User Title

The cities are largely populated by the cyborgs that receive cybernetic implants from birth in order for them to survive and the small population of Gen that managed to escape the destruction of Genesis City and now reside in Aphrodite's city. The XVs make up a small percentage of the total population as they are mass produced full body cyborgs created with the IX that they serve as a template. The XVs could only have the brain as the only organic component and would only need to ingest nutrients to sustain their brains functions, unlike the general population of cyborgs and Gen who would be able to eat food and drink Tea.

Aphrodite allows her XVs a certain amount of free will, but the other IXs are not as generous. While an unnamed Aphrodite XV was able to travel to Hermes City in IXth Generation #6 although the mode of transportation was not revealed so it is not impossible to travel between cities the same would probably not be possible for a Hades XV.

Hello Guys,
    I have a few question for Ryan, Pauul, and anybody else who might know:

1)What is the contraption on Ares’ back? It looks like some sort of Cybernetic implant. You can easily see it on the spread of the IXs in Aphrodite rebirth Vol.2 and later when they are all sitting at the table.

2)Who is the dead body missing a head and marked VI in the Aphrodite hidden files story?

3) When do the one shot stories (Artemis, Apollo, Athena, and Poseidon) take place? Am I correct to assume they take place during the 25 years gap between 2802 and 2827?

4) In the CyberForce/ Aphrodite crossover, Velocity mentions that the world finally ended ten years after she killed the chairwoman. Now, we all know the extinction event took place in 2102 which places the Chairwoman's death at 2092. YET, there are two flashbacks in the books (one in Aphrodite rebirth Vol 2 and one in IX generation issue 3) that shows her alive at the date 2102 when the IXs were in training with Birch. How is this possible?

Thanks a bunch to everyone here. I've been having a blast studying this fascinating world.
    -Nico

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew View Post
    The cities are largely populated by the cyborgs that receive cybernetic implants from birth in order for them to survive and the small population of Gen that managed to escape the destruction of Genesis City and now reside in Aphrodite's city. The XVs make up a small percentage of the total population as they are mass produced full body cyborgs created with the IX that they serve as a template. The XVs could only have the brain as the only organic component and would only need to ingest nutrients to sustain their brains functions, unlike the general population of cyborgs and Gen who would be able to eat food and drink Tea.

Aphrodite allows her XVs a certain amount of free will, but the other IXs are not as generous. While an unnamed Aphrodite XV was able to travel to Hermes City in IXth Generation #6 although the mode of transportation was not revealed so it is not impossible to travel between cities the same would probably not be possible for a Hades XV.
    To piggy back on that, travel between cities is definitely possible, the cyborgs definitely had land vehicles, airships, and were also preparing to travel to the moon, and were planing to establish a colony there prior to the Ascencion. When the IX's rolled in to town, they had their own army, replete with airships, tanks, land vehicles and technology based on unlimited energy drawn from dark matter through quantum entanglement. It is mentioned that trade exists between the cities in the IX Genaration Hidden files. However most of the IX's being dictators they tend to restrict travel. Talk about tough immigration laws eh? Hope that helps

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by NicoIzambard View Post
    Hello Guys,
    I have a few question for Ryan, Pauul, and anybody else who might know:

1)What is the contraption on Ares’ back? It looks like some sort of Cybernetic implant. You can easily see it on the spread of the IXs in Aphrodite rebirth Vol.2 and later when they are all sitting at the table.

2)Who is the dead body missing a head and marked VI in the Aphrodite hidden files story?

3) When do the one shot stories (Artemis, Apollo, Athena, and Poseidon) take place? Am I correct to assume they take place during the 25 years gap between 2802 and 2827?

4) In the CyberForce/ Aphrodite crossover, Velocity mentions that the world finally ended ten years after she killed the chairwoman. Now, we all know the extinction event took place in 2102 which places the Chairwoman's death at 2092. YET, there are two flashbacks in the books (one in Aphrodite rebirth Vol 2 and one in IX generation issue 3) that shows her alive at the date 2102 when the IXs were in training with Birch. How is this possible?

Thanks a bunch to everyone here. I've been having a blast studying this fascinating world.
    -Nico
    1- They haven't specified what that is on his back, but it's safe to say is definitely a cybernetic enhancement of some kind, maybe huge spikes come out of there, or maybe he's meant to attach to something? Perhaps there is an Ares Mecha suit somewhere? Have fun with it.

2- I believe that would be Aphrodite VI

3- Athena, Apollo, and Poseidon either take place in the 20 year gap between the end of the AphroditeIX series, or between issues 1-3 of IX Generation, that's not specified. ArtemisIX takes place right after the end of IXGeneration #3 when Hadesblew herself up, as we see they are in the process of rebuilding etc.

4- The extinction level event occurred sometime in the year 2102 shortly after the Chairwomans death at the hands of Velocity, but there were still survivors, there was a tribulation period of ten years after that were the earth was a no mans land and the few human survivors that remained perished, or we're exterminated by the new emerging species of human. After 10 years what we know as the human race was pretty much extinct except for Burch, or anyone else who might have been kept safe in stasis. That is as per the timeline in Aphrodite IX Hidden files, and that's what I believe Velocity is referring to.
    Last edited by JVillain; 11-14-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JVillain View Post
    1- They haven't specified what that is on his back, but it's safe to say is definitely a cybernetic enhancement of some kind, maybe huge spikes come out of there, or maybe he's meant to attach to something? Perhaps there is an Ares Mecha suit somewhere? Have fun with it.

2- I believe that would be Aphrodite VI

3- Athena, Apollo, and Poseidon either take place in the 20 year gap between the end of the AphroditeIX series, or between issues 1-3 of IX Generation, that's not specified. ArtemisIX takes place right after the end of IXGeneration #3 when Hadesblew herself up, as we see they are in the process of rebuilding etc.

4- The extinction level event occurred sometime in the year 2102 shortly after the Chairwomans death at the hands of Velocity, but there were still survivors, there was a tribulation period of ten years after that were the earth was a no mans land and the few human survivors that remained perished, or we're exterminated by the new emerging species of human. After 10 years what we know as the human race was pretty much extinct except for Burch, or anyone else who might have been kept safe in stasis. That is as per the timeline in Aphrodite IX Hidden files, and that's what I believe Velocity is referring to.
    2) Actually, to be precise, it is a male body.
    Last edited by NicoIzambard; 11-14-2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by NicoIzambard View Post
    2) Actually, to be precise, it is a male body.
    Quite right! I'm going to hazard a guess and say it was either an Artemis, or Poiseidon given the fact that both Haphestus and Apollo both have darker skin, that, and Ares synaptic connection thing is on his chest, and not face like was the case with lp

Spectacular Member

Quite right! I'm going to hazard a guess and say it was either an Artemis, or Poiseidon given the fact that both Haphestus and Apollo both have darker skin, that, and Ares synaptic connection thing is on his chest, and not face like was the case with lp
    It really could be anybody. Athena I was a black woman (well, robotic woman) and Artemis I was female while Artemis IX is male. Not to mention that there was a Hera I, and no Hera IX, so some series were discontinued. See Witchblade #134 to #136.

If you win, Millarworld pays Marvel and DC starter rates for a writer or an artist. All of the source material is either published by Image Comics or Icon Comics--an imprint publisher for Marvel. Winning the talent hunt itself may not disqualify you, but if you've done work for either of these companies, then you can't participate. Since Millarworld will notify the winners on December 23rd, then I assume that you will have done work for one of these companies before May 15th 2016, which would disqualify you.
    Which isn't bad, because if you've been disqualified, that means you have broken into the industry. I can't enter the Millarworld Talent Hunt because I was a Runner-Up last year. And that is certainly not a bad thing.

You've mentioned in the rules that this story must be self-contained, not a set up for an arc. Now that I'm about halfway done, I find myself curious. Does this mean that it can't make any real changes? That the end has to leave the universe as it was in the beginning? Deus Ex Machina and all that? Or is our story allowed to make a change to the status quo, so long as it is all handled within the single script.

For instance, the formation of a new alliance?
    You could do something inconsequential, but you need to remember that Matt Hawkins isn't going to want to rewrite anything in the main series, no matter how cool your idea is. Read the one shots. They introduce interesting ideas and things that matter, but not things which might impact the main series.

Pauul is back in full effect! That's interesting, I took the whole reveal of The Pre rebirth Chairwoman in Post Rebirth to mean that it was some sort of conditioning or dreams Aphrodite was having while in stasis, or maybe some mixture of the two. Not to say that those events in the pre rebirth series did not happen, they happened but not as depicted In the books. Or some happened some didn't. I figured the old series was out of continuity after the Rebirth. Maybe Ryan can shed more light on this. The events in Pre Rebirth Aphrodite IX series, did they happen as depicted in the series? Did they not happen at all? Or is it a mix between the two
    Some of the stuff from the Rebirth series directly references the past series. Other stuff, you need to fudge the details with, as I said. Like, in Aphrodite IX #0 you see a mechanical Aphrodite being constructed. And on the next page you see the IX mark. But during the construction you don't see this, and there is another Aphrodite seen in a tube later in the series. We know Aphrodite IX is biological, not mechanical. However, the Aphrodite seen later is likely Aphrodite X (she can't be a duplicate Aphrodite IX, because we know from Rebirth that there are no duplicate IX's). And we know Aphrodite X was mechanical. So, what if the same scientists are working on Aphrodite IX and Aphrodite X in the same lab?

That isn't what was intended, but it would make a good retcon if you wanted to consider the earlier series as being in continuity.

So, I would say that series should be considered in continuity, but that the continuity is 'fuzzy'.

Thank you for the welcome back, although unfortunately I don't really think I can make it on to here as often as I did.

If you are interested in what I'm currently up to then my blog is here - https://paulpennawrites.wordpress.com/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pauul View Post
    It really could be anybody. Athena I was a black woman (well, robotic woman) and Artemis I was female while Artemis IX is male. Not to mention that there was a Hera I, and no Hera IX, so some series were discontinued. See Witchblade #134 to #136.
    After reading the latest issue of IX I'm more inclined to believe that it was an earlier Ares model, given the revelation about Ares in the latest issue, and knowing their plan was to bust up into the moon station and rescue the artifacts, they must have had specific *ahem* designs for that headless body.

Which isn't bad, because if you've been disqualified, that means you have broken into the industry. I can't enter the Millarworld Talent Hunt because I was a Runner-Up last year. And that is certainly not a bad thing.
    Not bad at all

You could do something inconsequential, but you need to remember that Matt Hawkins isn't going to want to rewrite anything in the main series, no matter how cool your idea is. Read the one shots. They introduce interesting ideas and things that matter, but not things which might impact the main series.
    He's also probably not gonna alter his plans for the characters no matter how genius an idea may be. So I wouldn't kill anyone.

Some of the stuff from the Rebirth series directly references the past series. Other stuff, you need to fudge the details with, as I said. Like, in Aphrodite IX #0 you see a mechanical Aphrodite being constructed. And on the next page you see the IX mark. But during the construction you don't see this, and there is another Aphrodite seen in a tube later in the series. We know Aphrodite IX is biological, not mechanical. However, the Aphrodite seen later is likely Aphrodite X (she can't be a duplicate Aphrodite IX, because we know from Rebirth that there are no duplicate IX's). And we know Aphrodite X was mechanical. So, what if the same scientists are working on Aphrodite IX and Aphrodite X in the same lab?

That isn't what was intended, but it would make a good retcon if you wanted to consider the earlier series as being in continuity.

So, I would say that series should be considered in continuity, but that the continuity is 'fuzzy'.

Thank you for the welcome back, although unfortunately I don't really think I can make it on to here as often as I did.

If you are interested in what I'm currently up to then my blog is here - https://paulpennawrites.wordpress.com/
    This is were I've run into a bit of a snag. The main character in my story was originally one from the OG Aph series, but realizing that series was in continuity I felt it wasn't safe using him so instead I wrote him up as an entire new character which I know is kind of faux pas according to the contest rules. Yeah, all those men and women who worked on the protocol are interesting, someone should do a story about them.

That story you're working on is cool man. It has this Edgar Allen Poe sort of vibe, as does the artwork, which also reminded me of V for Vendetta a little bit in the look of it. The one character really looked like Vincent Price. Was that intentional? Consider me in.

Amazing Member

The cities are largely populated by the cyborgs that receive cybernetic implants from birth in order for them to survive and the small population of Gen that managed to escape the destruction of Genesis City and now reside in Aphrodite's city.
    I find this answer to be questionable: implanting cybernetics at birth. I believe it falls under if the "event" does not occur onscreen it is not cannon. This is my personal issue because it has not been dealt with "in story" and so I have a story that addresses it, so assumptions aside we really know nothing Jon Snow. You writer types should have jumped on world building from the beginning. Now it has been twenty five years of rebirth (transferring personalities into new bodies) and standard birth. The populations have to have had unnatural population growth. Death and birth move at unnatural rates, because infant mortality and child mortality have been manipulated, standard mortality has been changed -- at the whim of the IXs. War is a game because mortality is effectively over. Anybody addressing these questions?

The XVs make up a small percentage of the total population as they are mass produced full body cyborgs created with the IX that they serve as a template. The XVs could only have the brain as the only organic component and would only need to ingest nutrients to sustain their brains functions, unlike the general population of cyborgs and Gen who would be able to eat food and drink Tea.
    I was under the impression that the XVs were organic clones based on the IXs -- from the IX Generations Issue 3, where Ares is screaming about his XVs being based on a god.

Travel appears to be by personal airship or Griffin or Dragon -- since it was an Aphrodite XV.

Spectacular Member

I was under the impression that the XVs were organic clones based on the IXs -- from the IX Generations Issue 3, where Ares is screaming about his XVs being based on a god.
    My understanding is that the XV's are not organic at all. Their brains are digital copies taken from a living individual. Their physical design are based on the IX's.

This is were I've run into a bit of a snag. The main character in my story was originally one from the OG Aph series, but realizing that series was in continuity I felt it wasn't safe using him so instead I wrote him up as an entire new character which I know is kind of faux pas according to the contest rules. Yeah, all those men and women who worked on the protocol are interesting, someone should do a story about them.
    My entry that got me a Runners-Up spot used new characters. You can use new characters as long as you don't mind signing away the rights to them.

That story you're working on is cool man. It has this Edgar Allen Poe sort of vibe, as does the artwork, which also reminded me of V for Vendetta a little bit in the look of it. The one character really looked like Vincent Price. Was that intentional? Consider me in.
    Which one? 'Projections'? I left a lot of the character designs up to the artist. If something doesn't really matter in a script, you should leave it up to the artist, let them do what they want. They should be able to have as much fun with a script as they possibly can. If you look at the fourth panel, he has a Space Invader cufflink too. That was nothing to do with me. All Stewart.

You have got to remember that your artist is your partner. You need to give them opportunities to put themselves into the story too.

It's actually an older small press strip, rather than a current project. A lot of my recent energies have been spent on the Top Cow backup strip I've been writing.

I have two other old strips by me on the blog too (although those are a little less polished).

You guys should be writing for small press anthologies too. It isn't professional work, so it won't disqualify you from this. You don't get paid but you get to work with a small press editor and you learn a lot. Plus you get to see an artist draw your strip, which trust me, is a magical experience.

I would appreciate any followers, of course. And I will be using my blog to announce new projects when I can.

I'm also posting about any other opportunities for writers to break into the industry (such as the Top Cow Talent Hunt or the Millarworld Annual) when I hear about them. I've provided links to information and suggested research material. Anything I think might help another aspiring writer break into the industry.
    Last edited by Pauul; 11-16-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Custom User Title

Quote Originally Posted by Lightningmax View Post
    I find this answer to be questionable: implanting cybernetics at birth.
    The Speros City Cyborg birthing chamber appeared back in Aphrodite IX: Rebirth #6 where you can clearly see the cybernetic implants on Executor Jezebels son as he matured from baby to a toddler in the space of two pages.

The Aphrodite XV introduced in Aphrodite IX: Rebirth was able to separate both forearms, extend and contract hair and had those whips that extended from her back. The Hades XVs that were destroyed in IXth Generation #1 seemed to be somewhat mechanical as did the Ares XVs while they were blown apart in IXth Generation #6.

All-New Member

Technical question here: Most IXth Generation books start with a quote on the page right after the credits on the inside cover. Does that mean our page 1 has to be opposite page 2 or can we ask that the quote page be dispensed with so that we can start our page 1 right after the inside cover, for page-turn reasons?

Spectacular Member

Technical question here: Most IXth Generation books start with a quote on the page right after the credits on the inside cover. Does that mean our page 1 has to be opposite page 2 or can we ask that the quote page be dispensed with so that we can start our page 1 right after the inside cover, for page-turn reasons?
    Actually, while this does happen in the main series, if you take a look at the one shots, there is no quote at the beginning.

Since you're writing a one shot, I would allow them to be your guide.

Amazing Member

The Speros City Cyborg birthing chamber appeared back in Aphrodite IX: Rebirth #6 where you can clearly see the cybernetic implants on Executor Jezebels son as he matured from baby to a toddler in the space of two pages.
    Thanks. My statement still stands... hate to be mysterious but it is a major point in my proposed story and I hope that it becomes cannon, even if the story is not picked.

The Aphrodite XV introduced in Aphrodite IX: Rebirth was able to separate both forearms, extend and contract hair and had those whips that extended from her back. The Hades XVs that were destroyed in IXth Generation #1 seemed to be somewhat mechanical as did the Ares XVs while they were blown apart in IXth Generation #6.
    In this world what is truly mechanical? I tend to reserve judgment unless it is clearly stated in the text.

Custom User Title

Quote Originally Posted by Guyyoudontknow View Post
    Most of the one shots do begin with the credits on the inside front cover and three paragraphs about the Aphrodite protocol on page 1 and the story beginning on page 2, however Athena IX has an advert for Mr. Robot on the inside front cover, credits on page 1, the three paragraphs on page 2 and the story beginning on page 3. This is because the second and third pages of the story (pages 4-5) were combined as a double page spread which preserved some of the dramatic reveals later in the story.