Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Since The Darkness is a pretty big character in the IXth series, would it be acceptable to write a story from it's point of view?

Unless I haven't gotten to anything that covers this yet, all we know is The Darkness is somehow bonded (or maybe created a construct?) of Hope, and was then trapped by the chairwoman.

Is this area weren't exploring or should the main story be kept to Aphrodite and friends?

dayinthelife

Stupid question time........... sorry in advance.

I'm a bit confused with the timeline. When does "present" start for the writers guidelines? Can a story take place during the cyberforce: rebirth series? Or is that considered as the past? Is there a specific book where the present starts?

@Pauul A moderator for the Millarworld forum posted this three hours ago:
    garjones Moderator 3h
    We are not strictly following an 'unpublished' rule. The idea is for new names so people with regular jobs in the comics industry are out but the odd story here and there for anthologies or small press work is okay.
    Which is a pity because Bryan K Vaughan's entry was really good. :wink:

As a runner-up your short story might count as anthology work. If so, I would think that you would be eligible to participate next year unless you wind up with some major work between here and there. They closed submissions on December 3rd for this year's hunt, but they are reopening the talent search next September.

Did anybody else think that the last panel on page 22 of IXth Generation #7 was an allusion to the '80's arcade game Rampage? I did and it made me laugh. So, even if it wasn't, I'm going to pretend it was. I'll bet writing The Darkness is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dayinthelife View Post
    Stupid question time........... sorry in advance.

I'm a bit confused with the timeline. When does "present" start for the writers guidelines? Can a story take place during the cyberforce: rebirth series? Or is that considered as the past? Is there a specific book where the present starts?
    Man, that's a really good question. I had to think about it. The Talent Hunt PDF says this:

**This round your submission must be set in the futuristic timeline/world established in Aphrodite IX, Cyber Force and IXth Generation and can feature any character included in any of those three titles in any time from present day to the 2827 AD timeline of IXth Generation. If your story conflicts with published continuity it will be automatically rejected.

Cyber Force Rebirth issue #1 opens with, "Millennium City, Pennsylvania. Today." So, I would take that to mean that anything from there through the IX Generation series is where your story needs to take place. Correct me if I'm wrong, anybody.
    Last edited by KY Matty; 12-07-2015 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Typo

Spectacular Member

As a runner-up your short story might count as anthology work. If so, I would think that you would be eligible to participate next year unless you wind up with some major work between here and there. They closed submissions on December 3rd for this year's hunt, but they are reopening the talent search next September.
    That would have been useful to know, before the deadline. Oh well.

Man, that's a really good question. I had to think about it. The Talent Hunt PDF says this:

**This round your submission must be set in the futuristic timeline/world established in Aphrodite IX, Cyber Force and IXth Generation and can feature any character included in any of those three titles in any time from present day to the 2827 AD timeline of IXth Generation. If your story conflicts with published continuity it will be automatically rejected.

Cyber Force Rebirth issue #1 opens with, "Millennium City, Pennsylvania. Today." So, I would take that to mean that anything from there through the IX Generation series is where your story needs to take place. Correct me if I'm wrong, anybody.
    My assumption is that you can write a story set from the present day, into the future. Although, since the focus is the IXth Generation I would suggest focusing on related characters in the present day. Try and tie it into the future setting.

So, yes, you are right.

I would think an Aphrodite IX or IXth Generation story is more likely to win, though.

Since The Darkness is a pretty big character in the IXth series, would it be acceptable to write a story from it's point of view?

Unless I haven't gotten to anything that covers this yet, all we know is The Darkness is somehow bonded (or maybe created a construct?) of Hope, and was then trapped by the chairwoman.

Is this area weren't exploring or should the main story be kept to Aphrodite and friends?
    You could, yes, but given that the focus is on the IXth Generation, I would think you're more likely to win if you focus your energy on that group of characters. Of course, the Chairwoman interacted with Hope and Ares IX has a connection to the Darkness.

My advice would be, if you want to use the Darkness, find a way to somehow tie your story into the events unfolding in the IXth Generation series.
    Last edited by Pauul; 12-07-2015 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauul View Post
    That would have been useful to know, before the deadline. Oh well.
    Agreed. It's unfortunate that the moderator posted that yesterday, four days after the deadline.
    It's at the bottom of the comments of this link:
    http://forums.millarworld.tv/t/milla...tions/1941/415
    Last edited by KY Matty; 12-08-2015 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Added link

Question:
    How is Top Cow going to know who is a returning contestant? Is it simply based on last names from the previous years submission agreements?
    Good luck all!
    -N

All-New Member

Hello, everyone! Sorry for bother you with this, but I really donīt get it
    I would like writing a story about a CyberForce characters, right? So, what continuity do I must to take? I mean, CyberForce Vol. 1-2-3-4?
    Thanks a lot guys! And good luck for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by NicoIzambard View Post
    Question:
    How is Top Cow going to know who is a returning contestant? Is it simply based on last names from the previous years submission agreements?
    -N
    Not sure. I am planning on putting a note on the last page of my submission agreement saying that I am a returning contestant.

Quote Originally Posted by DayKnight View Post
    Hello, everyone! Sorry for bother you with this, but I really donīt get it
    I would like writing a story about a CyberForce characters, right? So, what continuity do I must to take? I mean, CyberForce Vol. 1-2-3-4?
    The Talent Hunt PDF says that your submission must take place in the IX Generation timeline. That is the rebirth continuity, i.e., Cyberforce: Rebirth Vols. I and II, Aphrodite IX: Rebirth Vols. I and II, and IX Generation.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by KY Matty View Post
    The Talent Hunt PDF says that your submission must take place in the IX Generation timeline. That is the rebirth continuity, i.e., Cyberforce: Rebirth Vols. I and II, Aphrodite IX: Rebirth Vols. I and II, and IX Generation.
    Thank you very much KY Matty.

Amazing Member

Not sure. I am planning on putting a note on the last page of my submission agreement saying that I am a returning contestant.
    All applications have a release form signed with your real information, so they know who you are....
    Last edited by Lightningmax; 12-11-2015 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Prettiness

Quote Originally Posted by DayKnight View Post
    Thank you very much KY Matty.
    Gladly!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightningmax View Post
    All applications have a release form signed with your real information, so they know who you are....
    I like your reason for editing.
    Sure they do, my man, but what I'm saying is the submission agreement doesn't have a line specifying if you are a returning contestant. Under "the Material" in parenthesis it says "list title, description . . . and any other relevant information here." I guess you could write "returning contestant" there. What I'm driving at is this: Top Cow's talent hunt had well over 1,000 submissions last year and it has been going on since 2012 - 2013. I would be surprised if they are checking each entrant's submission agreement and searching the backlogs of thousands of names over the last few years to see if they are a returning contestant (correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore, I intend to put a note somewhere on my agreement specifying that I am a returning contestant.

Irrelevant side information:
    At this point I have read so many Top Cow trades that I have literally had dreams taking place in the Top Cow universe the last three nights. Is this happening to anybody else? Am I going through some kind of quantum breach into a parallel universe? I love the books like crazy but I don't really want to live in the IX Generation universe.
    Have you all seen this? It's hilarious! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Lvv1f5Qu4
    Last edited by KY Matty; 12-14-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Amazing Member

Gladly!

I like your reason for editing.
    Sure they do, my man, but what I'm saying is the submission agreement doesn't have a line specifying if you are a returning contestant. Under "the Material" in parenthesis it says "list title, description . . . and any other relevant information here." I guess you could write "returning contestant" there. What I'm driving at is this: Top Cow's talent hunt had well over 1,000 submissions last year and it has been going on since 2012 - 2013. I would be surprised if they are checking each entrant's submission agreement and searching the backlogs of thousands of names over the last few years to see if they are a returning contestant (correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore, I intend to put a note somewhere on my agreement specifying that I am a returning contestant.
    Uh yeah. They are a business so they are keeping meticulous records. Copyright law being what it is, they are checking their list and checking it twice, finding out who's naughty and nice.

A company doing a contest like this is opening themselves to any number of lawsuits, so they are carefully reviewing everything.

All-New Member

So how official are the artifact locations, as defined in IXth Generation #7? That is, do we need to return the artifacts not used in the series back to Sanctuary XIII if we want to use them in our stories?