Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRichSmithRobot View Post
    As an artist can I submit work from each script or am I only allowed one entry?
    You can enter as many times as you please. Now it is advisable to do more than one script, because it is a showcase process -- there are a lot of design possibilities in each script. My view of the scripts is that Apollo IX is more an emotional script; Artemis has mechanical designs: ship, city, room under construction; Artemis IX has weapon and cyborg designs; Poseidon IX has a monster design. Each script has some good emotional moments, character, architecture and future design opportunities. To really push yourself you could attempt to complete one story per month. You will grow by leaps and bounds with that effort. The number of pages alone would improve you, in four months you would be able to time yourself in how many pages you can complete in a month, which is something important to learn.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightningmax View Post
    You can enter as many times as you please. Now it is advisable to do more than one script, because it is a showcase process -- there are a lot of design possibilities in each script. My view of the scripts is that Apollo IX is more an emotional script; Artemis has mechanical designs: ship, city, room under construction; Artemis IX has weapon and cyborg designs; Poseidon IX has a monster design. Each script has some good emotional moments, character, architecture and future design opportunities. To really push yourself you could attempt to complete one story per month. You will grow by leaps and bounds with that effort. The number of pages alone would improve you, in four months you would be able to time yourself in how many pages you can complete in a month, which is something important to learn.
    Great to know! Thank you for the feed back. I appreciate it.

---Rich

MEKART

I plan on doing this year. I am leaning towards doing Artemis IX. So I am doing some sketching to get a feel for the character.20150918_175534.jpg

Amazing Member

Default Thumbnails

The first stages of creating a comic book involves interpreting a script. One of the stages of script interpretation is called thumbnails, this is where you make your mistakes. Some pages will need to be redone repeatedly to find the focus. Focus – most important image on the page. Thumbnails are small versions of the pages that are used to work on the composition of the pages. Howard Porter did a version which had all pages on one 11 by 17 sheet. His example is inked and includes spotted blacks – spotted blacks are the areas of black that are used to create depth.

My version of the thumbnails page includes a golden mean layout – this is an excellent tool for placing elements to move the readers eyes around the page.

That's insane, Lightningmax! And awesome too. Jeez, I feel like such a newbie now (which I am, let's be honest). This time, I will make the thumbnails (I was an idiot last time XD). Have I mentioned I love this talent hunt? I always improve so much when participating. Like grinding in an RPG to finally beat that final boss As long as you have fun, right? Because it shows in you pages and scripts.

1) "Just pencils are acceptable -- if you ink most companies want to see both pencils and inks." Do I have to send pencils AND inks or just inks are acceptable?

2) What is the best format to upload? .jpeg, .png, .pdf, .tiff...?

3) How much resolution per page is enough?

Quote Originally Posted by mariomaundrell View Post
    1) "Just pencils are acceptable -- if you ink most companies want to see both pencils and inks." Do I have to send pencils AND inks or just inks are acceptable?

1) Finished pencils are accepted. You don't have to ink them. If you do inks only, you'll have to co-op with a penciller, the way I understand it. Since you have to create new pages for this talent hunt. If you do the pencils and inks, I'm not sure. Normally, you'd have to send both, but maybe the inked version alone will do if you work alone.

2) Best format is to put all pages into a PDF. That way your pages stick together and don't get lost.

3) Resolution must make sure the art remains of high quality, but all pages must fit in Top Cow's e-mail inbox of 20MB (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by SaraKpn View Post
    1) Finished pencils are accepted. You don't have to ink them. If you do inks only, you'll have to co-op with a penciller, the way I understand it. Since you have to create new pages for this talent hunt. If you do the pencils and inks, I'm not sure. Normally, you'd have to send both, but maybe the inked version alone will do if you work alone.

2) Best format is to put all pages into a PDF. That way your pages stick together and don't get lost.

3) Resolution must make sure the art remains of high quality, but all pages must fit in Top Cow's e-mail inbox of 20MB (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong)
    I do pencils, but I always finish my work with inks or watercolors (in this case, I would only use inks). Is it ok if I do two entries of the same script, but one beign the pencil and the other being the inked version?

And the maximum e-mail size is 10MB.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SaraKpn View Post
    That's insane, Lightningmax! And awesome too. Jeez, I feel like such a newbie now (which I am, let's be honest). This time, I will make the thumbnails (I was an idiot last time XD). Have I mentioned I love this talent hunt? I always improve so much when participating. Like grinding in an RPG to finally beat that final boss As long as you have fun, right? Because it shows in you pages and scripts.
    Good. Nothing wrong with learning what you do not know. Worse is to assume you know everything and refusing to learn.

Amazing Member

1) Companies like to know the difference between your pencils and inks. Sean Gordon Murphy's pencils are loose and he does most his finishes in inking. If you do good finished pencils, but your inks are weak a company wants to know, they could then get you an inker that improves your penciled pages. To show your inking, show both pencils and inks on a project AND you inking another artist.

2) With all the identifying information in a jpeg, I use those. You can save a jpeg such that it contains a ton of information when it is right clicked. Nothing can ever be lost.

3) Most companies take pages saved at 72 dpi 10 inches by 6.75(?) -- , but basically comicbook size. I created an action in photoshop, that when I scan in a page at full size 11 by 17, it reduces it to 10 inches high and 72 dpi. I scan and crop my pages so only the art shows, then use the action to reduce to company requested submission size.
    Last edited by Lightningmax; 09-20-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Updated with new information

Amazing Member

Default Character Design

I draw my characters eight heads high. It is a good human proportion that works best for me for total page design purposes. This is not to say there are not exceptions, but for the sake of art I use these tools. Using this tool a six feet tall character is 72 inches high divided by eight heads a head is then 9 inches high. The general height of chairs is eighteen inches which is then two heads. Tables are generally 27 inches high, which is three heads -- exceptions not withstanding I can use these measurement to create a realistic room proportionate to my character.

Eight heads are used to draw the turnabout, front side and back views of character, this is the only way to know if your design works.

For example, this is a very rough drawing, but it shows the point and purpose. if you create some funky shoulder pad outfit, then you have to imagine it from all sides. Cool on front might be hard from side.

Last edited by Lightningmax; 09-20-2015 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Included example

I'll be submitting as a writer this year, first time. I've read the first five new issues online at Topcow for Cyber Force now which were awesome. I'll be grabbing tpbs for the first two rebirth volumes this week. I'm just wondering if the older volumes will matter for continuity or if the new Rebirth is a fresh start on these characters.

Cheers!

1) Companies like to know the difference between your pencils and inks. Sean Gordon Murphy's pencils are loose and he does most his finishes in inking. If you do good finished pencils, but your inks are weak a company wants to know, they could then get you an inker that improves your penciled pages. To show your inking, show both pencils and inks on a project AND you inking another artist.

2) With all the identifying information in a jpeg, I use those. You can save a jpeg such that it contains a ton of information when it is right clicked. Nothing can ever be lost.

3) Most companies take pages saved at 72 dpi 10 inches by 6.75(?) -- , but basically comicbook size. I created an action in photoshop, that when I scan in a page at full size 11 by 17, it reduces it to 10 inches high and 72 dpi. I scan and crop my pages so only the art shows, then use the action to reduce to company requested submission size.
    So, do I send the pencils and the inks in the same e-mail or in two separately? (Sorry for this persisting doubt.)
    Like Sean Gordon, most of my pencils are loose and I enjoy creating finishing touches with my inking. And I probably wouldn't ink other artists pencils, just my own. Can I do that? Or is it not pleasing to the companies?

Amazing Member

So, do I send the pencils and the inks in the same e-mail or in two separately? (Sorry for this persisting doubt.)
    Like Sean Gordon, most of my pencils are loose and I enjoy creating finishing touches with my inking. And I probably wouldn't ink other artists pencils, just my own. Can I do that? Or is it not pleasing to the companies?
    Pencils and inks are like before and after shots. How can someone know what you bring to the table as an inker if they do not see the pencils? All companies want to hire inkers -- a good inker is worth their weight in gold! In my opinion Scott Williams brings out the best in Jim Lee's pencils, Tim Townsend brings out the best in Chris Bachalo's pencils... Let's be clear any idiot can darken pencils using a computer, an artist brings texture and depth to the pencils, whether it's a computer or a crow quill.

I'm not certain I understand the "persisting doubt"? Are you asking if companies want to hire inkers? Or are you asking if in this contest they want you to ink your own pencils? As far as this contest is concerned either just pencils or pencils and inks are fine, one of the winners last year had inked pages.

Pencils and inks are like before and after shots. How can someone know what you bring to the table as an inker if they do not see the pencils? All companies want to hire inkers -- a good inker is worth their weight in gold! In my opinion Scott Williams brings out the best in Jim Lee's pencils, Tim Townsend brings out the best in Chris Bachalo's pencils... Let's be clear any idiot can darken pencils using a computer, an artist brings texture and depth to the pencils, whether it's a computer or a crow quill.

I'm not certain I understand the "persisting doubt"? Are you asking if companies want to hire inkers? Or are you asking if in this contest they want you to ink your own pencils? As far as this contest is concerned either just pencils or pencils and inks are fine, one of the winners last year had inked pages.
    My doubts are:

1) When I send my e-mail to Top Cow, I intend to show at least 8 penciled pages of Apollo IX (for example). However, I would like to show my pages finished with my own inks. The inked pages will be sent in the same e-mail of the pages with only pencils or in another e-mail?

2) Suppose I show my pencils and my inks to a company, turns out both my pencils and inks are acceptable and the company hires me. One day, and artist (not me) penciled 20 pages and the company asked me to ink those pages, but I refuse, because I only ink my own pages. Is it well regarded by companies? If it is, how to make clear from the beginning that I ink only my penciled work?

I'm truly sorry for the trouble, I hope these examples will clarify my doubts.