Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mariomaundrell View Post
    My doubts are:

1) When I send my e-mail to Top Cow, I intend to show at least 8 penciled pages of Apollo IX (for example). However, I would like to show my pages finished with my own inks. The inked pages will be sent in the same e-mail of the pages with only pencils or in another e-mail?

2) Suppose I show my pencils and my inks to a company, turns out both my pencils and inks are acceptable and the company hires me. One day, and artist (not me) penciled 20 pages and the company asked me to ink those pages, but I refuse, because I only ink my own pages. Is it well regarded by companies? If it is, how to make clear from the beginning that I ink only my penciled work?

I'm truly sorry for the trouble, I hope these examples will clarify my doubts.
    1) Send all in ONE email. The thing you have to watch though, is to keep your email smaller than 10mb.

2) You are getting ahead of yourself.This is a one thing only, and Top Cow will hire you to pencil the art (if you are the winner or runner-up). What you do with the opportunity given after this assignment gets fulfilled, it's up to you.

Good luck to everyone.

Amazing Member

My doubts are:

1) When I send my e-mail to Top Cow, I intend to show at least 8 penciled pages of Apollo IX (for example). However, I would like to show my pages finished with my own inks. The inked pages will be sent in the same e-mail of the pages with only pencils or in another e-mail?

2) Suppose I show my pencils and my inks to a company, turns out both my pencils and inks are acceptable and the company hires me. One day, and artist (not me) penciled 20 pages and the company asked me to ink those pages, but I refuse, because I only ink my own pages. Is it well regarded by companies? If it is, how to make clear from the beginning that I ink only my penciled work?

I'm truly sorry for the trouble, I hope these examples will clarify my doubts.
    1)Yes.

2)The companies will inquire if you are willing to ink someone else. Inking others can be a good exercise in learning new techniques. It wouldn't be frowned on to refuse. The other question is would you be willing to ink over another artists layouts? Because they might not like you pencils -- I respect your confidence though -- but they might like your inks or they might like your inks and dislike your pencils. To me, it's about working -- I don't mind inking as long as I can pay my bills!
    Last edited by Lightningmax; 09-21-2015 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Yep -- had more to say

Spectacular Member

So, do I send the pencils and the inks in the same e-mail or in two separately? (Sorry for this persisting doubt.)
    Like Sean Gordon, most of my pencils are loose and I enjoy creating finishing touches with my inking. And I probably wouldn't ink other artists pencils, just my own. Can I do that? Or is it not pleasing to the companies?
    Send them in the same email, please.

Spectacular Member

Welcome to the Talent Hunt, newbies! Welcome back, familiar faces.

Another year, another Hunt, another thread...but this year, as you can see, the rules have changed a bit! And the submissions period is much, much longer. I'd like to encourage you all to go over the rules carefully, as new rules have been noted and you may have missed something - you never know!

It won't be the same without Pauul in here doing my job for me, but Lightningmax is, as you can see, already doing his best. :P

Besides, Pauul's busy with final revisions to his OWN script, that lucky guy!

Oh, anyway, if you don't know me, I'm Ryan, and I'm the Editorial Assistant at Top Cow. I'm sort of the Great Filter for this Talent Hunt - I'll be on this thread and I'll read all your scripts and help Matt/Marc/Bryan determine the final winners, as well as assist with writing feedback.

Nice to meet you - or, for some of you, long time no see. Let's get this thing started, yeah?

All-New Member

It's on for me, It has begun..!!
    Good to meet ya' Ryan, Hopefully you will be seeing me in the finals of the artist hunt, i'm a newbie but so ready to make a name for myself in the comic drawing industry.
    I'm so ready for this.!!!

(CF)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cow Ryan View Post
    Welcome to the Talent Hunt, newbies! Welcome back, familiar faces.

Another year, another Hunt, another thread...but this year, as you can see, the rules have changed a bit! And the submissions period is much, much longer. I'd like to encourage you all to go over the rules carefully, as new rules have been noted and you may have missed something - you never know!

It won't be the same without Pauul in here doing my job for me, but Lightningmax is, as you can see, already doing his best. :P

Besides, Pauul's busy with final revisions to his OWN script, that lucky guy!

Oh, anyway, if you don't know me, I'm Ryan, and I'm the Editorial Assistant at Top Cow. I'm sort of the Great Filter for this Talent Hunt - I'll be on this thread and I'll read all your scripts and help Matt/Marc/Bryan determine the final winners, as well as assist with writing feedback.

Nice to meet you - or, for some of you, long time no see. Let's get this thing started, yeah?
    Hey Ryan!

I can never be Pauul! He was a brave soldier, his loss can never be truly be expressed -- he's gone on to better place. (Putting on brave face, chin up, single tear unshed in left eye). I am more focused on the art, but I've read the material Aphrodite IX, IXth Generation hidden files, IXth Generation 1-4, All miniseries -- so I will assist with everything I can.

All-New Member

Can we submit art that is fully painted, like Dan Brereton or Alex Ross's, or does it have to be traditional ink-line drawings?
    Last edited by Blah; 09-21-2015 at 09:06 PM.

All-New Member

Should we point out that we are previous entrants or will you guys know with your Jedi mind tricks?

Custom User Title

Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    Can we submit art that is fully painted, like Dan Brereton or Alex Ross's, or does it have to be traditional ink-line drawings?
    Aphrodite IX: Rebirth did start off looking like a digitally painted concept art for a sci-fi movie, so a fully painted submission should be okay, as you can see from the quoted section of the Talent Hunt rules.

Quote Originally Posted by TC_TalentHunt_2015-2016.pdf
    ARTISTS

We are looking for two artists who do finished pencil work, pencil to color work, digital painting or pencil/ink/ink wash combo appropriate for black and white publication. If you are an inker or colorist you can submit your work to Top Cow through regular submission channels but they will NOT be considered for this Talent Hunt. What you can do is visit the forum we’ve set up with comicbookresources.com for this and see if you can find a person who is just penciling and try and team up with them. If you are part of a pencil/ink/color team and want to submit together we will accept that but you submit as one final piece of finished/colored or B/W art. There will be SAMPLE SCRIPTS posted up online with the rules that you can use for this.

We will accept just pencils as a submission. Note that if you win, we will assign you an inker and you will not be able to “choose” who inks or colors your pages. You will be consulted, but the decision will be ours.

All-New Member

Hi, Someone else has asked this and I would also like to know:
    Is Vol 1 and Vol 2 of Aphrodite IX required reading? Can I stick to the Vol 2 as I purchased these recently and Vol 1 is proving a bit difficult to get!
    Thanks.
    *UPDATE - nevermind, Vol 1 is now in stock on Amazon!
    Last edited by comics-kel; 09-22-2015 at 08:14 AM. Reason: change

Just reasking reasking question since it it got lost on page two.

I've read the rebirth for Cyber Force but was wondering if that was a reboot or if I should also get the three older volumes as well.

Thanks

Custom User Title

Yes, the 2012-2014 Cyber Force: Rebirth is a reboot series.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew View Post
    Aphrodite IX: Rebirth did start off looking like a digitally painted concept art for a sci-fi movie, so a fully painted submission should be okay, as you can see from the quoted section of the Talent Hunt rules.
    It's that distinction of them specifically pointing out they would except digital paintings rather than just paintings period that's making me hesitant. I'm probably going to just submit pencils and inks, along with a sample of painted work too just to be safe.

Thank you very much!

kevstees

Default Question about style (penciler)

I have a question, it's about art style of the characters and pages. Does the style of your pencils have to be similar to the IX universe art style? Obviously everyone have different styles but here's an example, say I penciled 8 pages and the whole story looked like cartoony characters like Skottie Young would draw, or say Teen Titans Go? Would it even be worth entering because your drawing style doesn't "mesh" with the Top Cow IX Universe?
    Thanks