Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

@ JesseG

If you are doing art using the scripts provided by Top Cow you can post them any time you like. BUT if you are doing your own story, you can't post the art that goes along with it before the Talent Hunt ends. Even if it is unlettered, it still gives away the plot. I'm afraid your Darkness story is now just for fun, with completed page and thumbnails posted. Watch out for that.

The use of Darkness, Angelus, Hope and some of the other characters for this years Talent Hunt is very risky. This is the problem I'm facing. There is so many things we still don't know about them, and while I have great ideas to fill the blanks, those ideas can be shattered as the story progresses from Matt. Also, it seems like all the IX characters will have their own One-Shots, by the time the TH ends. As I see it, the best bet is to explore the past funneling an event to a known outcome, not necessarily using major players from the IXth generation.

All-New Member

Questions:

In Aphrodite IX #11, Hades says that Ares isn't into girls and then says that the female IXs are all genetically related to Francesca but the male IXs are bred for genetic diversity.

Question 1: Are 5 men and 4 (related) females even enough alleles to keep robust genetic diversity?

Q2: What's the point of having a "genetically diverse" homosexual character (assuming Ares is gay and not bisexual, like many Greek gods were)?

Q3: If the post-Ascension world has technology capable of creating full complements of chromatin de novo, why would genetic diversity even matter?

Q4: If this is simultaneously the nerdiest and comic book geekiest comment in the history of CBR threads, do I win something?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guyyoudontknow View Post
    Questions:

In Aphrodite IX #11, Hades says that Ares isn't into girls and then says that the female IXs are all genetically related to Francesca but the male IXs are bred for genetic diversity.

Question 1: Are 5 men and 4 (related) females even enough alleles to keep robust genetic diversity?

Q2: What's the point of having a "genetically diverse" homosexual character (assuming Ares is gay and not bisexual, like many Greek gods were)?

Q3: If the post-Ascension world has technology capable of creating full complements of chromatin de novo, why would genetic diversity even matter?

Q4: If this is simultaneously the nerdiest and comic book geekiest comment in the history of CBR threads, do I win something?

The IXs aren't meant to repopulate the Earth - they're meant to rule it. They live practically forever - it's their responsibility to rule over the races that humanity evolved into post-Ascension.

So while genetic diversity ALLOWS the IXs to mate and reproduce, it's not a necessary part of the plan. But even then, since all of their bodies are being cloned repeatedly, I'm sure the Sanctuaries that produce the IXs newer bodies could probably pretty easily adjust genetics to prevent unwanted mutation in offsprint.

Q2: From the Chairwoman's perspective, I can think of a handful of reasons for making Ares not-heterosexual. But as you mention, it may have just been her penchant for the Greek gods, or her desire to make the future an interesting and diverse place. Additionally, perhaps Francesca was aware of the genetic and social factors that determine human sexuality, and wanted all sexualities represented for the sake of better "representing" the people who would be worshipping them.

Q3: Exactly. But also keep in mind that the Chairwoman is operating with the technology she has AS SHE GOES. She knows that she'll be able to do certain things in the future, but perhaps at an earlier stage in the creation process of the IXs, it was important to begin with genetically diverse "raw materials."

Q4: I've seen worse.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cow Ryan View Post
    The IXs aren't meant to repopulate the Earth - they're meant to rule it. They live practically forever - it's their responsibility to rule over the races that humanity evolved into post-Ascension.

So while genetic diversity ALLOWS the IXs to mate and reproduce, it's not a necessary part of the plan. But even then, since all of their bodies are being cloned repeatedly, I'm sure the Sanctuaries that produce the IXs newer bodies could probably pretty easily adjust genetics to prevent unwanted mutation in offsprint.

Q2: From the Chairwoman's perspective, I can think of a handful of reasons for making Ares not-heterosexual. But as you mention, it may have just been her penchant for the Greek gods, or her desire to make the future an interesting and diverse place. Additionally, perhaps Francesca was aware of the genetic and social factors that determine human sexuality, and wanted all sexualities represented for the sake of better "representing" the people who would be worshipping them.

Q3: Exactly. But also keep in mind that the Chairwoman is operating with the technology she has AS SHE GOES. She knows that she'll be able to do certain things in the future, but perhaps at an earlier stage in the creation process of the IXs, it was important to begin with genetically diverse "raw materials."

Q4: I've seen worse.
    Thanks for the super fast reply, Ryan! Not quite 12 parsecs fast, but really impressive - and helpful!

All-New Member

Hi, i was wondering which resolution should i use, i know that for print we should use 300 dpi, but the jpg files will be huge, 72 dpi its fine for screen and the jpgs are much smaller, so which resolution do you think is better?

All-New Member

@Top Cow Ryan 1- Someone asked about doing loose/ unfinished pencils and inks and submitting both. That's something I can relate to, so I wanted to ask if there's a point on submitting both the 'unpolished pencils' and inks separately or do you guys just care for the final artwork (in my case inked pages over my own pencils)? 2- Can I draw 8 pages from one script and maybe 8 from another script if I have the time and then submit both? Is that acceptable? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jmo View Post
    Hi, i was wondering which resolution should i use, i know that for print we should use 300 dpi, but the jpg files will be huge, 72 dpi its fine for screen and the jpgs are much smaller, so which resolution do you think is better?
    For the pages you send for this talent hunt, 72 dpi is fine. They look at your pages on a screen, they won't be printed. Only if you win or they hire you and do official work must they be big enough for print (300 dpi).

Quote Originally Posted by Carmdq View Post
    @Top Cow Ryan 1- Someone asked about doing loose/ unfinished pencils and inks and submitting both. That's something I can relate to, so I wanted to ask if there's a point on submitting both the 'unpolished pencils' and inks separately or do you guys just care for the final artwork (in my case inked pages over my own pencils)? 2- Can I draw 8 pages from one script and maybe 8 from another script if I have the time and then submit both? Is that acceptable? Thanks!
    1- I think if you ink your own pencils, you can submit both. If someone else will ink them, you must provide finished pencils.
    2- Yes.

Ghosting

I have a few questions pertaining to Cyber Force.
    1. About how long is the period in between China and Russia being forced to nuke themselves and Stryker and Selver faking their deaths? And who else besides Francesca knows they're alive?
    2. If someone was targeted for removal by CDI to advance the protocol, but somehow survived would the protocol still know this person was alive if they were kept hidden from the outside world?
    3. Compared to Cyber Data, how much of a gap is there between the cyborgs, weapons and technology of the Chinese?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosting View Post
    I have a few questions pertaining to Cyber Force.
    1. About how long is the period in between China and Russia being forced to nuke themselves and Stryker and Selver faking their deaths? And who else besides Francesca knows they're alive?
    2. If someone was targeted for removal by CDI to advance the protocol, but somehow survived would the protocol still know this person was alive if they were kept hidden from the outside world?
    3. Compared to Cyber Data, how much of a gap is there between the cyborgs, weapons and technology of the Chinese?

1. Up for debate. Be vague.

2. Probably. If they wanted to hide, they'd have to hide very, very well.

3. Up to the discretion of the writer. But think about the current discrepancy between Chinese military technology and US military technology.

copycat

Hi Guys!

First of all, Thank you for this great opportunity. I have the following questions.
    1. In the rules, one may be disqualified if one has something published elsewhere. My question is: If i am about to publish or participate in one of the challenges of webtoon, would that disqualify me?
    2. Since this year, the contest is in two parts. I was wondering, if for the first part, one can send only pencils, in case one may have to make corrections after recieving the feedback and then for the final part, send inked pages. Or would you advise to play all the cards and send inked pages right away?

I appreciate the time taken to answer these questions.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by copycat View Post
    Hi Guys!

First of all, Thank you for this great opportunity. I have the following questions.
    1. In the rules, one may be disqualified if one has something published elsewhere. My question is: If i am about to publish or participate in one of the challenges of webtoon, would that disqualify me?
    2. Since this year, the contest is in two parts. I was wondering, if for the first part, one can send only pencils, in case one may have to make corrections after recieving the feedback and then for the final part, send inked pages. Or would you advise to play all the cards and send inked pages right away?

I appreciate the time taken to answer these questions.
    1. I don't know anything about the Webtoon challenge, but it sounds to me like just another Talent Contest, yeah? You should be fine.

1. It's up to you. It depends on how much of your work is finished off in the inks, you know? If you're a heavy inker, I'd advise submitting your inks for the first deadline.

jecastellon

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cow Ryan View Post
    1. I don't know anything about the Webtoon challenge, but it sounds to me like just another Talent Contest, yeah? You should be fine.
    I understand then, that if you have a comic in Webtoon it's not a problem?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guyyoudontknow View Post
    Hope is the child of Sara Pezzini and Jackie Estacado, the bearers of the Witchblade and Darkness for much of Top Cow's history. She was a central figure in several battles over the fate of the universe due to her unique parentage with respect to the magical Artifacts of the Top Cow world.

Bottom line is, the Artifacts were sent to the future by Francesca, the former head of CDI to await the reawakening of her IX series creations (one of which she intended to inhabit - Aphrodite IX - so that she could rule over what was left of the world following an extinction level event). Things didn't work out for Francesca, though, and the IXs are in the 29th century, trying to figure out how to interact with each other, their cyborg servants, and these mystical Artifacts that they've awoken to find.
    RIGHT! I always get lost in the Hope references because of, uh, Xena-related confusion. Never mind.

Thanks for filling in that blank.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by jecastellon View Post
    I understand then, that if you have a comic in Webtoon it's not a problem?
    Was it self-published through Webtoon? I'm not sure of their publishing rules, but I think you should be fine.