Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aquaman and the Others

Is there a thread about this? I checked but didnt find one. Sorry if there already is.

So i wanted to get back to reading Aquaman again after dropping the book some time ago. Is AatO a second Aquaman book or the same one renamed? And what do you guys think about it? Is it any good?

It's a second book with him and some old friends. It's not as good as Aquaman. It does have some interesting characters but the story and villains are a little generic.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Is there a thread about this? I checked but didnt find one. Sorry if there already is.

So i wanted to get back to reading Aquaman again after dropping the book some time ago. Is AatO a second Aquaman book or the same one renamed? And what do you guys think about it? Is it any good?
    I have found it to be quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post

Its the second book written by Jurgen's whilst the main one is with Jeff Parker. Aquaman and the Others is a more team book with the Others created by Geoff Johns. Parker's Aquaman is more Arthur and Mera. A mixed opinion on both... some say that Aquaman and the Others has a better direction which in fairness it does as there is a clear objective but the character work is better in Parker's Aquaman though its slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    Its the second book written by Jurgen's whilst the main one is with Jeff Parker. Aquaman and the Others is a more team book with the Others created by Geoff Johns. Parker's Aquaman is more Arthur and Mera. A mixed opinion on both... some say that Aquaman and the Others has a better direction which in fairness it does as there is a clear objective but the character work is better in Parker's Aquaman though its slower.
    Great review and highly accurate. That's pretty much how I see the 2 Aquaman titles, too.

And how cool is it to finally have 2 Aquaman books at the same time? I'm enjoying both.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    See I disagree a little with that. Yes the character work is better in Aquaman, but AatO is completely character driven. The plot in AatO is totally one dimensional and pretty dull. It is a straight line from point A to point B. While Aquaman has a lot of depth and multiple plots all working at once making it far more epic. This is why I claimed Aquaman was the better title so easily. It has better character work and a more epic story (on top of Pelletier's amazing artwork).

AatO is an attempt to give Aquaman what Superman, Batman, and the GL's have. A supporting cast that can be recognized and built upon. It is good and the characters are interesting but it's just starting.

Astonishing Member

I, as a Newcomer with the 52´s would like to know if the characters in Aato are out of the last storyline in Aquaman (cant recall the issue numbers) or being there before the new 52´s...?

No, they're all new characters, never having appeared before the new 52. I'm liking both series so far. And I have to agree with Blackest Knight, it's awesome having two Aquaman titles! I never thought I'd live to see the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    See I disagree a little with that. Yes the character work is better in Aquaman, but AatO is completely character driven. The plot in AatO is totally one dimensional and pretty dull. It is a straight line from point A to point B. While Aquaman has a lot of depth and multiple plots all working at once making it far more epic. This is why I claimed Aquaman was the better title so easily. It has better character work and a more epic story (on top of Pelletier's amazing artwork).

AatO is an attempt to give Aquaman what Superman, Batman, and the GL's have. A supporting cast that can be recognized and built upon. It is good and the characters are interesting but it's just starting.
    I agree with you, but just to add I'd say thats its probably good thing that Aquaman has two such different books. Main book is rather subtle and playing longer game while AatO is simplistic journey.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    And I have to agree with Blackest Knight, it's awesome having two Aquaman titles! I never thought I'd live to see the day...
    And I with both of you. When I read the announcement, I thought Aquaman was cancelled with the new book replacing it. I am delighted that, for the first time in history, Aquaman has two ongoings at the same time.

Question how long it will last. Seven Seas crossover between JL, Aquaman and AatO will surely keep it afloat, but after that?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Question how long it will last. Seven Seas crossover between JL, Aquaman and AatO will surely keep it afloat, but after that?
    Backstories. Each member of the Others are basically new characters ready to be expanded upon

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man
    And I have to agree with Blackest Knight, it's awesome having two Aquaman titles! I never thought I'd live to see the day...
    Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    And I with both of you. When I read the announcement, I thought Aquaman was cancelled with the new book replacing it. I am delighted that, for the first time in history, Aquaman has two ongoings at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfmir
    Backstories. Each member of the Others are basically new characters ready to be expanded upon.
    Thanks, guys. And yes, there's more product and more money to be made from exploiting Geoff Johns-created I.P. across multiple product lines.

I mean, look at all the merchandise DC has sold thanks just to Geoff's run on Green Lantern. I can't go anywhere without seeing a Lantern Corps shirt. Or hat. Or belt buckle. Or wallet. Or...well, you get the idea.

If DC can find new ways of milking Aquaman and turning him into a similar cash cow? As a lifelong Aquaman fan, I'm all for it. Get people buying as much Aquaman as possible, please!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

It's a shame WB (or CW) botched the pilot for his TV shows so very badly. Imagine a world where Aquaman had his own live-action show before Flash, Green Arrow, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfmir View Post
    Backstories. Each member of the Others are basically new characters ready to be expanded upon
    I'm not worried about story ideas, but sales. It's likely do drop below 20k in next few issues and thats a dangerous territory.