Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Picking up DC again - which books to get

So I haven't been reading any DC comics for a while, but it looks like I'll be able to start getting them again next month. While I'd like to eventually get the comics I've missed in TPB this can be quite expensive so I was wondering which comics would be new reader friendly. I've got a proposed list below but I'm unsure how easy o pickup some of these titles will be without having read the preceding issues (such as Batman and Robin Eternal).

$7.50 - Batman Eternal #1
    $4.50 - Batman Eternal #2
    $4.50 - Batman Eternal #3
    $4.50 - Batman Eternal #4
    $7.50 - Superman: Lois and Clark #1
    $4.50 - Telos #1
    $7.50 - Titans Hunt (1 of 12)
    $4.50 - Secret Six #7
    $4.50 - Teen Titans #13
    $7.50 - Detective Comics #45

Note: Ignore the prices. They're what us Australians have to pay.
    Currently Reading
    Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Avenging Spider-Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, FF, Journey Into Mystery, New Avengers, New Mutants, Scarlet Spider, Venom, Wolverine, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Ultimate Comics X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men

Not sure about the Batman Eternal book you mentioned -- that was a weekly that concluded a while back. Do you mean the Batman and Robin Eternal that's coming up? If so, give it a shot. It seems like a stand alone sort of series.

Superman: Lois and Clark and Telos both spin out of the Convergence mini-series that took place during the early summer. I'm not sure how new reader friendly they would be per se. Superman: Lois and Clark takes up the storyline that the pre-New 52 Superman and his wife survived Flashpoint, and have been living in secret with their child in the New 52 universe. Telos is about the main figure from the Convergence mini, whose basic backstory remains fairly unknown. Titans Hunt is some sorta secret history of the Titan characters or something (not too sure). The rest are your standard books, and probably very new reader accessible.

So B/R Eternal, Secret Six, Teen Titans, and Detective Comics are all books you probably just pick up and go with. Superman:L/C and Telos both require some slight knowledge of the Convergence mini (and you could wiki it to get the gist) ... Titans Hunt I'm not sure about (but probably is as new reader friendly as any thing else these days).

penetrator of things

Grayson

all of it
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLynch View Post
    So I haven't been reading any DC comics for a while, but it looks like I'll be able to start getting them again next month. While I'd like to eventually get the comics I've missed in TPB this can be quite expensive so I was wondering which comics would be new reader friendly. I've got a proposed list below but I'm unsure how easy o pickup some of these titles will be without having read the preceding issues (such as Batman and Robin Eternal).

$4.50 - Telos #1
    $4.50 - Secret Six #7
    $4.50 - Teen Titans #13

I can't know what your tastes are, but for me, with the exception of Batman & Robin Eternal and Secret Six, I wouldn't pick any of those books.

Right now, books like Omega Men, Martian Manhunter, Prez, Midnighter, Grayson, Secret Six, Catwoman (this will have a new creative team by the time you're reading, but think about back issues of Genevieve Valentine's run) and Robin Son of Batman are all very compelling reads, and they're all fairly accessible (most of them do done-in-ones with overarching plots, and only Grayson has over 10 issues). Batgirl, Gotham Academy, and Black Canary court a certain audience subset and do it well, if they seem appealing to you. They, too, are very accessible.

Batman and Robin Eternal has a wonderful creative team, so I'd definitely recommend trying that out.

I'm very much hoping that DC has some new, more exciting announcements for that segment of the fandom that was pleased with the DCYou Initiative. Every subsequent announcement as felt like a pulling back on the promise and direction of that initiative, with a return of older creators or continuity obsessed, throwback crossover spin offs.

More new books for King, Seeley, Valentine, Orlando, Williams, Paknadel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    I can't know what your tastes are, but for me, with the exception of Batman & Robin Eternal and Secret Six, I wouldn't pick any of those books.
    I'd venture a guess most of us are picking up Titans Hunt. I know it's the book I've most looked forward to since DC You and probably even since New 52. Otherwise I agree with you. And I don't even pick up Batman and Robin. To me Secret Six and Titans Hunt are the only interesting titles on OP's list to me.

Might I (highly) recommend Justice League, OP? All of it, starting with JL #1 by Johns/Lee. They're on 44 now I think and I think it's the best thing DC is putting out right now.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 09-20-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLynch View Post

$4.50 - Telos #1
    $4.50 - Secret Six #7
    $4.50 - Teen Titans #13

If you're willing to pick up a few back issues (from June), I would highly recommend:

Omega Men #1
    Grayson #9
    Catwoman #41
    Prez #1
    Justice League 3001 #1
    Midnighter #1
    Gotham Academy #7

I also recommend checking out free Sneak Peeks that lead to those jump-in points: https://www.comixology.com/Get-ready...erse/list/6952

BANNED

download this from comixology(its free) it has every tpb and graphic novel in stock and chronological order of DC comics,see what you like and give it a go.

thankmelater.jpg

Grayson. Omega Men. These two you don't want to miss. Could be looked at as classics in ten years.

If you want something fun, I'd go with Batgirl (starting with Batgirl of Burnside).

Batman has also been pretty great since the start of the n52.

Fantastic Member

Justice League 3001 lets you jump in just about anywhere and is really fun, funny, character-driven DC superheroics. One of the few I feel is worth the price tag of an individual issue as well.

Midnighter is quite accessible and favors episodic issues with an ovearching story as well. Fun, pulpy stuff.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I'd also reccomend Omeaga Men, its a solid series.

Out of the books listed Batman & Robin Eternal should be an OK place to start as a self contained weekly event.

Telos is spinning out of Convergence, but i'd still pick it and Superman: Lois & Clark up just to support set books.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I'd venture a guess most of us are picking up Titans Hunt.
    Why? I use to read Teen Titans in the 1970s as well as New Teen Titans in the 1980s, but I can't say I'm likely to pick up that 12-issue-limited-series when it comes out.

Might I (highly) recommend Justice League, OP? All of it, starting with JL #1 by Johns/Lee. They're on 44 now I think and I think it's the best thing DC is putting out right now.
    A comic book that I avoid like the plague. Read issues #1-12, and from my standpoint it was guano, highlighting many of Geoff Johns' present-day writing weaknesses.

Different tastes for different readers, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    . . . If you want something fun, I'd go with Batgirl (starting with Batgirl of Burnside).
    Also worth noting may be Gotham Academy, Black Canary, and Doctor Fate.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 09-20-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Out of the ones you listed...
    Titans Hunt.

Outside suggestion...
    Omega Men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post

Right now, books like Omega Men, Martian Manhunter, Prez, Midnighter, Grayson, Secret Six, Catwoman (this will have a new creative team by the time you're reading, but think about back issues of Genevieve Valentine's run) and Robin Son of Batman are all very compelling reads, and they're all fairly accessible (most of them do done-in-ones with overarching plots, and only Grayson has over 10 issues). Batgirl, Gotham Academy, and Black Canary court a certain audience subset and do it well, if they seem appealing to you. They, too, are very accessible.

Batman and Robin Eternal has a wonderful creative team, so I'd definitely recommend trying that out.

I'm very much hoping that DC has some new, more exciting announcements for that segment of the fandom that was pleased with the DCYou Initiative. Every subsequent announcement as felt like a pulling back on the promise and direction of that initiative, with a return of older creators or continuity obsessed, throwback crossover spin offs.

More new books for King, Seeley, Valentine, Orlando, Williams, Paknadel, etc.
    This about covers it, though I'd also reccomend Action Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why? I use to read Teen Titans in the 1970s as well as New Teen Titans in the 1980s, but I can't say I'm likely to pick up that 12-issue-limited-series when it comes out.

A comic book that I avoid like the plague. Read issues #1-12, and from my standpoint it was guano, highlighting many of Geoff Johns' present-day writing weaknesses.

Different tastes for different readers, I guess.
    I base my guess about Titans Hunt on the excitement about it on this board and others.

As for Justice League, it was very slow getting started but it really took off when Ivan Reis took over art duties and it achieved greatness around the time Fabock came on. I'd encourage you to give it another chance. The last two or three arcs have been almost universally well-regarded and I don't know of anyone that isn't going crazy for Darkseid War.

I'm a lifelong JLA fan, aged 46. At one time I owned the entire run of JLA through the Detroit era. I call ID Crisis the best JLA story (one of my controversial opinions) but I call Johns/Fabock's run the best run of JL(A). I was lukewarm on the first arc and only slightly more happy with the second one. After that it gets truly great -- IMO 'better than Morrison/Porter' great. You dropped it just as it was turning around.

As for Justice League, it was very slow getting started but it really took off when Ivan Reis took over art duties and it achieved greatness around the time Fabock came on. I'd encourage you to give it another chance.
    Nah . . . after wasting a year's worth of time and money, I don't need to spend any more unless they replace the writer.
    The last two or three arcs have been almost universally well-regarded and I don't know of anyone that isn't going crazy for Darkseid War.
    Well, even though I haven't read it, you can put me in the "not going crazy for" it camp.

I'm a lifelong JLA fan, aged 46.
    I've got a few years on you then.

You dropped it just as it was turning around.
    Again, if they hadn't been putting out that guano before hand, . . .