Default Post "Truth" - Will Kal-El opt for another secret identity - what would you like to see?

If/When Clark gets his powers back -

1. He becomes Superman full time
    2. He opts for another identity
    - a. Universal Mind Wipe (with help from the Magician side of the house like Dr. Fate or Phantom Stranger)
    - b. Helped by Bruce Wayne or Ollie Queen
    3. Does he run a company like Karen Starr or an become an industrialist like Wayne?
    4. What would you as a reader/ Superman fan like to see happen in that space?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

As far as a new identity, I'm partial to: To best be in a position to use his amazing powers in a never ending battle for truth and justice, Superman has assumed the disguise of Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I wouldn't mind for the idea of his identity being out awhile and playing with all of those possibilities that come from that, but ultimately he should once again regain and use the Clark Kent identity, whether that means mind wipe 5th dimensional mischief, clones...whatever it takes to make it happen. It's too intrinsic to the legend to erase it forever.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I wouldn't mind him slipping into Johnny Clark the firefighter, or something similar, for a bit. A working class job would be good for him, he's no businessman for damn sure.

I wouldn't mind him just being "out" and blogging as Clark Kent for a while either though.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I don't think they should go back to the status quo. I'd much rather see Superman as Clark Kent travelling the world using his super powers and science to give people the tools needed to solve agricultural problems, environmental issues, expose corruption etc. He could still use his blog as a news engine highlighting his adventures and the stories of the people he's helping to help themselves. He should be a primary source for stories for Lois and Jimmy, hell, he could still even have a column at the Daily Planet and we could still have stories written by Clark Kent, everyone would just know that he's also Superman.

Just because his identity has been exposed, it doesn't mean that he should give up his role as someone who exposes corruption and uplifts the stories of everyday people. Having stories like that written by Superman would be of great service to the people. Superman should from now on be a polarizing people's hero. He'd be the world's greatest Super Hero because he's the one who for all of his power, still has everyday relationships with people all over the world. I've said it before on another post, I think people should treat Superman like people treat Rocky in the later movies. He's the champ, everyone in the community knows him and knows what he's done for them, but he makes himself accessible to everyone and constantly gives his time to the community. They should never put the genie back in the bottle.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

In other words I think if carried out correctly, they could use this to unleash Clark Kent and give us Clark Kent the Super-Reporter. It would be a powerful way to honor the way Superman tried to fit into humanity and be of service to them. He loves being a reporter and a writer and he shouldn't give that up just because his secret identity has been exposed. It would show that his work as a reporter is just as important as his work as a Superhero.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    In other words I think if carried out correctly, they could use this to unleash Clark Kent and give us Clark Kent the Super-Reporter. It would be a powerful way to honor the way Superman tried to fit into humanity and be of service to them. He loves being a reporter and a writer and he shouldn't give that up just because his secret identity has been exposed. It would show that his work as a reporter is just as important as his work as a Superhero.
    Completely agreed. I think being outed is a positive step for him as a journalist, long-term, and should simply be his new status quo as they find a way to return him to his career.

I'd really prefer outed Clark stay until the next reboot.

BANNED

I'd like to see him go without a secret identity for a while and be Superman full time. Every second of every day, all over the Universe.

I was wondering what they were going to do with the secret identity too. Especially since he broke out the "Jon Clark" identity again when talking with Bruce Wayne, in the latest Batman/Superman. Granted, he didn't say he was a fire fighter, he said he was a reporter, but he still used that name from Morrison's run. So I was wondering if he's going to just adopt a new identity. Though I guess he forgot that he killed off the Jon Clark identity

I don't think he will, no. He'll just deal with not having a dual identity for a while until the inevitable deus ex machina arrives which makes it a secret again.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-18-2015 at 09:19 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Continue with no identity. How can Kal-El forge and retain a connection to the common man if his old Clark Kent life is no longer viable?...this is a question they could explore for a long time.

This is an interesting concept. I'd actually like to see him try to get a new identity and manage it for a while. I think a big part of what makes Superman such an icon is his struggle to live in this world among other humans, even when he's not human. And since he can't be Clark anymore, he might have to juggle more than one identity. He might have to be like Mystique from the X-men in a sense, constantly changing his identity in order to live a somewhat normal life. It would present a lot of challenges to him. At the same time, it would also allow him to interact with people in ways he's never been able to before. I think that would make for some pretty powerful stories the likes of which we've never seen with Superman. I hope DC gives them a chance. I just hope they finish this whole Truth arc soon. It feels like it's been going on for too long now.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I don't know how he'd pull it off, but I'd kind of like to see him use that name he introduced himself to Bruce Wayne in natman/ superman: Jon Clark.