Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Create your own OUTSIDERS

If you had freedom to create your own team of Outsiders, who would you choose for the team?
    What would be the overall direction/mission statement?
    Share your ideas

Team membership would be:

The Question
    Onyx
    Grace
    Metamorpho
    Robotman
    Jason Blood
    The Creeper (a classic version of the character)
    Looker (psionic and vampire powers intact)
    Rampage (Kitty Faulkner)
    The Wonder Twins

Whether super-science, magic, time travel, myth, extraterrestrial, etc., the Outsiders are the answer for the unanswerable. Led by The Question, who never met a conspiracy theory he didn't like, and buffeted by the no-nonsense approach of Onyx, these two leaders offer a home and purpose to metahumans struggling to make sense of their existence - or working to hide their secrets.

Since Batman isn't leaving the JL anytime soon and the new 52 Outsiders were actually introduced in the Green Arrow book, I'd center my team around GA as well.
    Oliver would create a new team of Ousiders to right the wrongs of the previous iteration and fight corruption in the world.
    The new Outsiders would basically become a black-ops counterpart to the Justice League.

My team:

Each member would add something different to the team:

Green Arrow: team founder, would be responsible for assigning most of the missions, providing the team with useful tech and acting as field leader most of the time.
    Katana: the second in command and the most skilled hand-to-hand combatant of the team. Some members wouldn't trust her because they'd think she was crazy. They wouldn't be totally wrong.
    Simon Baz: former member of the government-sponsored JLA like Oliver and Katana, Simon would join the Outsiders because of his lack of trust in the ability of governments to truly keep world peace and not just fight for their own.
    Black Lightning: the most relatable and down to Earth of the bunch, he'd be the team's heart.
    Sister Superior (Vera Black) and Manitou Dawn: two relatively obscure former JLElite members. I added them because I think they're great characters and each would bring a lot to the team. Dawn would be the team's magic user and Vera Black would be the team's "Cyborg" in that she'd provide intel and cool tech. She would be the main resistance to Ollie's leadership and would have useful government contacts.
    Grace would be the "muscle" and sort of another rebellious figure. She'd have been kicked out of Paradise Island and the Outsiders would give her purpose in life.
    Metamorpho would be the last addition and would help make the team feel more like the classic iteration. His powers would be very useful for the secret missions.

This team is not completely finished. I'm still toying with the idea of adding Midnighter and maybe Hawksmoor, but I didn't want the team to get too big and I think maybe Midnighter would overshadow some of the others.
    Last edited by Factor; 09-17-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Fantastic Member

Arrow-Green Arrow
    Fist-Onyx
    Shield-Guardian
    Sword-Katana
    Mask-Black Orchid
    Spear-Blue Devil
    Axe-Arak

Factor's team is pretty cool. I'd buy that.

If it was me?

Green Arrow
    Black Canary
    Black Lightning
    Vixen
    Katana
    Deathstroke.

Pretty much all my favorite DC characters minus Nightwing and Harley Quinn.

I'd stick with stories mostly grounded in real world menaces. Kind of like a "people's team" that would have a worldwide mission of taking down corrupt govt. officials, businessmen, etc.Like a superhero A-Team.
    Deathstroke would not want to be there and no one else would want him but due to circumstances beyond any of their control, he has to be part of the team, which would add some drama amongst an otherwise group of kindred spirits at least in relation to their mission.

I agree that Outsiders fits Green Arrow a lot better than Batman, going all the way back to the satellite-era when he quit the JLA because they had stopped focusing on the common man.

I would probably pull from the original Outsiders team and Justice League Detroit, which was when the League did turn its attention to the streets and human concerns.

Green Arrow
    Black Canary
    Black Lightning
    Katana
    Vixen
    Vibe
    Batwoman
    Guardian

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

BATWOMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS

Batwoman
    Flamebird
    Green Arrow
    Nightshade
    Black Lightning
    Green Lantern Simon Baz
    Katana
    Grace Choi

Outsiders

Ponyboy
    Sodapop
    Darrel
    Two-bit
    Johnny
    Dallas
    Steve
    Tim
    "You address omnipotence. Tread carefully."

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post

I like what you did there. I loved Winick's Outsiders. Grace, Anissa and Jade were such great characters. I miss them a lot.

I guess i'd go with (as long as they have a writer like Tom King or Tim Seeley) something like this:

- Roy Harper
    - Jason Todd.
    - Grifter.
    - Jack Hawksmoore.
    - Angie Spica (The Engineer)
    - Voodoo.
    - Grace.

Why? I'd like a team of not-so-powerful outcasts and misfits kicking ass. Working in the dark, covert ops, etc.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

For me, I'd go with characters who are true Outsiders (and not already affiliated with the Doom Patrol), guys who are just odd fits most places, and anchored with a "straight man" character to watch over them. With that in mind:

1. Dr. Mid-Nite (Pieter Cross) - Our straight man character, a resident of the main DC Earth vs. Earth-2.
    2. Element Woman
    3. Frankenstein
    4. Nightshade
    5. Ultraa the Multi-Alien
    6. The Creeper (the female version from the Vertigo series)
    7. Ragman
    8. Bloodwynd

BANNED

Creeper
    Robotman
    Negative Man
    Metamorpho
    Ragman

Any other "not pretty" heroes/heroines.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Going by the New 52 and the premise of "a team Batman assembles after leaving the League that he can control":

Shazam (Definitely would want to join Batman's team, and just screwed up nowadays to fit)
    Metamorpho (The classic member)
    Captain Atom (Gone all abstract as a result of his experiences and adventures, not quite clear who's manipulating who between him and Batman)
    The Doctor (our official Wildstorm guy)
    Blue Beetle (I assume Jaime Reyes is still available)
    Knight-Wing (a castoff from Earth-38, the grandson of his world's Superman and Batman)
    Elongated Man (there to keep Bruce honest)
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Wylde
    Eradicator
    Geo-Force
    Halo
    Katana
    Shift
    Grace Choi
    Thunder
    Dervish
    Nightwing
    Arsenal (Roy Harper)
    Faust (Sebastian Faust)
    Looker (Emily "Lia" Briggs)

Astonishing Member

Definitely have done this before. But it's nice to do it again.

My Outsiders team would be a 50/50 hybrid of the original Batman concept and the Lemire Green Arrow concept. (Perhaps, perhaps, with a callback to the original First Issue Special Outsiders). Tons of Barr influence. The nice bit is that there's already a little crossover involved. I'll roll with a seven man membership, too. I'm keen on those. And I'll discount Batman and Green Arrow from the start, though they'll both be involved in creation, organization, and back-up/guesting, as will Alfred.

Batman's Guys
    1. Red Hood
    2. Katana
    3. Geo-Force
    Arrow's Guys
    4. Arsenal
    5. Onyx
    6. John Butcher
    Wild Card
    7. Tigress

Metamorpho gets a guest credit, but as a character who can stand on his own he'll be a guest rather than a core team "You come to this book to get THESE characters" figure. Looker and Halo will visit plenty. And other Arrow Outsiders will be rival/enemies, as will be Arrowette. Recurring villains will include a lot of League Assassins types like Merlyn (ties to Roy), Ravager (ties to Jason), Sportsmaster (ties to Artemis). Deathstroke will be in play. And plenty of new spins on the classic Barr Outsiders villains like the Fearsome Five, Baron Bedlam, Agent Orange, Bad Samaritan and the like, as well as plenty of "small nations" political allegories with Markovia, Qurac, Bialya and the like. We'll also see much Denny O'Neil love, with The Question coming into play, Richard Dragon, Lady Shiva. Ample crossover opportunity with the likes of Bronze Tiger, Count Vertigo and the Suicide Squad.

This will be "the book" to focus on international kung-fu mysticism and high stakes anti-terrorism globe-hopping. The team will essentially be formed to thwart a number of secret organizations in the DCU that are primarily focused on assassination with particular interest in thwarting the League of Assassins - particularly the big name ones who are freelance - not strictly core elements of Ra's al Ghul's Leagues "demon cult" core - as well as the Lemire Outsider splinter groups. Basically combatting "non-state" operators of a superpowered nature. The Justice League has to stop the big threats in the world, but a lot of the covert assassination type stuff is too underground for them to look into, but it's right up Bruce and Ollie's alley to put their best people to work on it. So that's the mission statement - a team of trusted c-listers specially designed to prevent assassinations that could throw problem spots in the world into chaos.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Green Arrow
    Metamorpho
    Black Lightning
    Vixen
    Black Canary
    Blue Devil
    Firehawk

With Batman serving as sort of an Oracle role feeding Green Arrow info and tech on the sly.