Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    It doesn't bother me in the least.

Just wait for the solicits. Does it sound interesting? If you are still on the fence, then wait for the preview. If you are still on the fence, then buy the issue or wait for a review.
    This. It's not that complicated. For decades fans just had to go into a shop and buy what looked interesting, without month's worth of interviews, preview pages, and hype to guide them. And, really, it was probably better that way. Fans today spend way too much time bitching about every single bit of pre-release info on a book - too much info, too little info, don't like the art, not sure about the story, etc, etc - only to have most of those complaints prove to be unfounded when the actual book is out.

Buying and enjoying comics is as easy as you care to make it. If it seems complicated, it's only because you're making it complicated.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    It's amazing how the internet has changed entertainment consumption over the years. In the past, fans were very limited in what they knew before watching a new show/movie or reading a new book/comic. Now, so much is revealed before something even comes out, you can practically guess the whole story. Our society has become addicted to spoilers.
    Look at movie trailers these days. They give away the entire plot of the movie.

People are so concerned about not wasting money on content that they won't like that they forget half the fun of good, quality content is being surprised.

I interviewed a Marvel editor recently, and there was a corporate policy of not spoiling a lot on her books. I assume this was to protect the integrity of the books from spoilers. Sucked (from my POV), but that's the way it was, so I can't complain. Happy to talk to her anyway though.
    Last edited by resipsaloquitur; 09-17-2015 at 03:18 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This. It's not that complicated. For decades fans just had to go into a shop and buy what looked interesting, without month's worth of interviews, preview pages, and hype to guide them. And, really, it was probably better that way. Fans today spend way too much time bitching about every single bit of pre-release info on a book - too much info, too little info, don't like the art, not sure about the story, etc, etc - only to have most of those complaints prove to be unfounded when the actual book is out.

Buying and enjoying comics is as easy as you care to make it. If it seems complicated, it's only because you're making it complicated.
    i have to wait for my comics to come in the mail so any chance that one of them is a stinker doesn't sit well with me.....

Incredible Member

I agree with you, even though I don't buy 99% of the comic books that come out.
    I get that they don't want to give the story away, but if the writers are not going to dispense any bit of information, then what's the point of doing the interviews?
    The selling tactic of "you'll have to buy to find out" seems very dated, and it doesn't work on me. In fact, it's liable to have the opposite effect and make me completely uninterested.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    I agree with you, even though I don't buy 99% of the comic books that come out.
    I get that they don't want to give the story away, but if the writers are not going to dispense any bit of information, then what's the point of doing the interviews?
    The selling tactic of "you'll have to buy to find out" seems very dated, and it doesn't work on me. In fact, it's liable to have the opposite effect and make me completely uninterested.
    i feel the exact same way in fact i tweeted to one writer asking what they would tell someone whose on the fence and isn't sure if they should pre-order the first issue/add it to their pull list

their response? it's gonna be awesome!.....which probably won't sway anyone whose on the fence about said book

if anything it just comes off as a generic "It's So Good!" Reply that just tells you that they don't want to say anything about the book even if it means keeping undecided readers in the dark

I know i do; there are some books I'd like to know more about, but I need details. Then, I'll find out about a plot, character or villain i might've been interested in, after the fact.
    Last edited by protege; 09-17-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I bought my first comic in 1994, and didn't have home internet until 2002. Then, same as now, if I am interested in a book, I just buy it. Interviews are nice but if they really mattered that much I wouldn't bother buying, I'd just get by reading interviews. If an interview tells me what I want to know, what is left but to just look at some art.
    By that token, there were probably a lot of books i wish i hadn't bought, because I buy out of loyalty, or a sense of completion. I actually used to buy 30+ books back in the 80's, and I whittled my pull list down by half once i realized I was getting bored by the characters, or stories, and i wanted to focus on the books i did like. Knowing more details about the books might've saved me a lot of money back then.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    i feel the exact same way in fact i tweeted to one writer asking what they would tell someone whose on the fence and isn't sure if they should pre-order the first issue/add it to their pull list

their response? it's gonna be awesome!.....which probably won't sway anyone whose on the fence about said book

if anything it just comes off as a generic "It's So Good!" Reply that just tells you that they don't want to say anything about the book even if it means keeping undecided readers in the dark
    I feel writers and artists...well Marvel in general, are terrible marketers. Maybe in the 1950s, an advertisement could get away with "This product is awesome. Buy it!", but 60 year later, I think people have figured out kind of claim doesn't mean anything.
    I interpret vague statements like "It's so good!" that the writer doesn't have a clear idea of what he's writing or trying to communicate, ergo it's going to suck. It shouldn't be that difficult to tell me a basic premise, and what the characters are going to do. I mean, I assume these people know about pitching an idea, how else did they get their book published otherwise.

Astonishing Member

All I need from an interview is how the writer views the characters. I have no interest in spoliers. You can really go in depth about your feelings about a character and its history without telling everyone your plans for the book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    I feel writers and artists...well Marvel in general, are terrible marketers. Maybe in the 1950s, an advertisement could get away with "This product is awesome. Buy it!", but 60 year later, I think people have figured out kind of claim doesn't mean anything.
    I interpret vague statements like "It's so good!" that the writer doesn't have a clear idea of what he's writing or trying to communicate, ergo it's going to suck. It shouldn't be that difficult to tell me a basic premise, and what the characters are going to do. I mean, I assume these people know about pitching an idea, how else did they get their book published otherwise.
    Kate Leth Doesn't Really seem like she wants to give people much of a hook aside from "This Book Will Be Awesome! Read Hellcat" really anyone who tries to use a generic like it's awesome! as a way to convince undecided readers to pre-order should go back to the drawing board and learn why that doesn't sell books

i have a load of books on my pull list and i can't spend more money than needed just to take risky gambles because certain writers don't feel like their book needs to be explained in detail or that their book needs a clear hook to draw attention

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Look at movie trailers these days. They give away the entire plot of the movie.
    So, just like every movie trailer for the entire history of cinema then? If anything, trailers these days give away less.
    They show off a lot of money shots but they're all out of context and meaningless.

Let's use two movies to describe the difference: Die Hard, and A Good Day to Die Hard. In the trailer for Die Hard, it gives away that: Bruce Willis was at Nakatomi Tower to see his wife, terrorists have taken over, he's the only man who can stop them, and Bruce Willis blows up an entire floor of a building. They even show off his (censored) catchphrase.

A Good Day to Die Hard gives away that: Bruce Willis in Russia because... reasons, he's working with his never before mentioned son because... reasons, and they're fighting terrorists because... reasons.

Trailers back in they day when they had voiceovers gave away more and that was a good thing! Trailers need to tell the audience what they're in for. People don't want surprises, they want something they understand.

Doesn't bother me at all.
    Anticipation is part of the fun.

BANNED

and that's all i ask for....a concept that i can understand and enjoy because just teasing mysteries won't be good enough to make me a fan

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

You should go digital, then you don't have to worry about pre ordering, you can pick up stuff that's getting a positive reaction. Plus you can read the 3 page previews or wait for sales. Or switch to trades.

Spoilers suck.