Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Is Frank Miller the David Fincher of comic makers?

I did made a thread last year on how Alan Moore is the Stanley Kubrick of comic makers and how some say Stan Lee is Spielberg of comics.

Who thinks Miller is possibly comic's answer to Fincher?

I mean both have that grit and edge to their stuff.

I can see The Dark Knight Returns as his Fight Club, Sin City as his Se7en, Year One as his Zodiac and so on. As i think The Dark Knight Strikes Again is his Alien 3.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    I did made a thread last year on how Alan Moore is the Stanley Kubrick of comic makers and how some say Stan Lee is Spielberg of comics.

Who thinks Miller is possibly comic's answer to Fincher?

I mean both have that grit and edge to their stuff.

I can see The Dark Knight Returns as his Fight Club, Sin City as his Se7en, Year One as his Zodiac and so on. As i think The Dark Knight Strikes Again is his Alien 3.
    Frank Miller is the M. Night Shyamalan of comics. He had a few truly great moments a long time ago. Now he's gone insane and just needs to stop.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

if David Lynch wasn't already the David Lynch of comics, Frank Miller would be.

Fincher would never be balls out goofy or as willing to take a sharp turn left then up into the sky like Miller (or Lynch). Big Guy and Rusty? DKSA? Hell and Back? Not even remotely (okeh, maybe remotely) Fincheresque.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Frank Miller is the M. Night Shyamalan of comics. He had a few truly great moments a long time ago. Now he's gone insane and just needs to stop.
    I wouldn't go that far. Frank Miller's early career was full of genuine masterpieces. While his latter work has diminished a lot of what he's accomplished, he was just as important to the renaissance of comics in the 80's as miller.

I'd argue he's a lot closer to Coppola.

BANNED

Frank Miller is the Tom Cruise of comics. Longtime loved fan-favourite, until he went completely insane and overly religious, but for some reason he's still getting work.

Incredible Member

Nah, that's Jeph Loeb.

BANNED

I've liked a few things Fincher's done in the past 10 years. So he's got that on Miller. I'd say he's more like Kevin Smith. Loved his early stuff, hadn't seen anything like it (too young to have seen Miller, but I think it fits). Future looked bright, then bomb after bomb. Sometimes going for it, but never landing it. Now going back to the well and sure to taint the legacy of what made me like him back in the day. Will say I enjoyed Clerks 2, but Mallrats 2 I just can't even think about it.

I don't seem to recall David Fincher's work devolving into incoherent madness and unnecessary sequels.

(despite the negativity I'm admittedly looking forward to reading DK3)

bit of an understatement there i'd say. i wish miller would draw more.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by taylortexas View Post
    I don't seem to recall David Fincher's work devolving into incoherent madness and unnecessary sequels.

(despite the negativity I'm admittedly looking forward to reading DK3)
    What about Alien 3?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    What about Alien 3?
    Was a pretty decent film and would have been a lot better without studio interference.

But even if it was the worst film ever commited to pelicule, it wouldn't apply.
    It was his debute film. You can't devolve into anything if it's your first movie.

Frank Miller is the Mel Gibson of comic makers: Made a big splash in the '80s, huge masculinity/action icon, moved into more serious work in the '90s, we started worrying about him around the turn of the century, officially went batshit in the '00s. You're welcome.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Interesting question on comparing comics talent to directors.

I don't see Miller as Fincher, because he is even better regarded within his industry. He might be the Scorcese, the guy best known for crime stuff who had made several of the most acclaimed works of the medium (Elektra Saga/ Dark Knight Returns/ Batman Year One/ Daredevil: Born Again/ Sin City/ 300 VS. Mean Streets/ Taxi Driver/ Raging Bull/ Goodfellas/ Gangs of New York/ Wolf of Wall Street.) A slight difference is that Miller's recent work isn't as acclaimed, although Scorsese was Miller's age when Gangs of New York kicked off a 14+ year winning streak.

Stan Lee's best analogue is probably John Ford. They both entered the industry very early, and were very prolific.

I could see a link between Moore and Kubrick, although Moore was more prolific. In terms of acclaim, he's closest to Spielberg, although their tone and subject matter were different.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I love that because people don't like where Miller took his work that he must be insane. Batshit insane, even.

Look, I thought his 99% rant was ridiculously out of touch, and ignorant to what was actually happening, but that doesn't make him insane, it just means he's an old man, which he is. He was also clearly going through some tough stuff at the time, which we better understand now.

Is David Mazzucchelli batshit insane because he went from Batman Year One to Asterios Polyp? Is George Miller insane because he made Mad Max and Happy Feet? No, they're artists and the kind of work they wanted to make changed over the years. Same with Miller. You don't have to like the work, but to dismiss the person as insane because it isn't what you want to read is ridiculous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I love that because people don't like where Miller took his work that he must be insane. Batshit insane, even.
    It's not that we don't like where he took it.
    It's that it's he took it straight into Freerepublic nutter territory.

We don't dislike Miller now because he did Martha Washington after The Dark Knigh Returns. It's because he wanted to do "Batman beats up Muslims" after 9/11. And did it with the serial numbers filed off at another company. 300 isn't helping his case.
    The still unfinished All Star Batman And Robin The Boy Wonder isn't helping his case either.
    Last edited by Carabas; 09-19-2015 at 08:14 AM.