Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Omega Men is basically the comic you lament not seeing these days. The art is incredibly dense (generally eight panel pages with some excellent action choreography), and the book itself is thematically challenging. When you mentioned all the things you liked about older comics and miss in contemporary comics, you pretty much nailed what Omega Men is.

It is cancelled, though, so you may just want to wait on the tpb. Thanks for the kind words, but if you like my recommendations, it shouldn't surprise you that OM is already cancelled. I'm beginning to think that me liking a book is a sure sign that it will be cancelled.
    Thanks for info.

And you reminded me of another reason to be wary of reading comics as they come out...the dreaded curse of the cancelled favourite.

By reading in arrears can often spot good series by following this simple "rule": any series that features a C/D/E character and gets to 20 plus issues is likely to be a darn good read. (Certainly as you've found, converse isn't true...many darn good DC series fail after fewer than a dozen issues.)

Fantastic Member

1) God oh god, please buy Justice League 3001. It's so good, but it's good in a traditionally character-driven superhero mode and doesn't often make these lists. It's the most fun book at DC right now though.

2) While I wasn't initially interested in Omega Men, I've made the decision to check it out and will likely order the trade, if only because from everything I hear about it, this could have been one of those rare smart-fiction-with-commercial-characters moments DC used to thrive on, and I want another twelve-issue gem along those lines to happen.

If I were Tom King, though, I'd pull a Twin Peaks and not alter my script at all, though; just leave the last issue wherever it was originally going to stand at #7. A high-quality, unfinished product will draw more attention than a tepidly finished complete one.

I've been thinking about it recently, and I believe I'm going to be switching back entirely to trade-waiting after my current cycle of lesser-selling titles are done (I'm also currently pulling the Superman books, which I think I'll go back to trade-waiting as well). That means I won't be supporting any of these titles month to month in the future, but that's a shame for both consumers and DC, because the trade-waiting crowd is exactly who books like Omega Men might appeal to, given enough to time to spread via word of mouth. I'd been coming around to it recently. But if the almighty monthly print sales, which they cannibalize among the Wednesday crowd with things like four connected Superman books (that actually did prevent me from trying another DC YOU title), then I don't know what to say. Their loss, and ours, but their responsibility to design an alternative strategy for.
    Last edited by Cipher; 09-18-2015 at 01:25 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I forgot to mention that one, easily Levitz' best offering in his whole career and actually a pretty enjoyable read.
    It's OK, although I was jarred by the recent issue where the main character had this rather mundane mental conversation while actually swimming for his life in a massive flood.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Omega Men is hands down one of the best things DC has put out in years. It's a heavy but tightly written story.

Black Canary is a lot more fun and action-driven than people give it credit for.

Robin: Son of Batman is great for stylized action, and Gleason also has a better handle on his writing than a lot of veterans DC employs these days.

Starfire is silly, but it has its moments. It has potential for some really clever ideas, but doesn't quite hit its mark.

We Are Robin is alright, but doesn't really stand out.

Midnighter makes for some great action as well.

It's a shame someone people will dismiss books just because something isn't written precisely to fit their headcanon of what a character should be.
    This about sums it up for me too.

What I am buying/reading from the recommendation list:
    Black Canary
    We Are Robin

Had picked up a couple of issues of Starfire, but it wasn't a "must buy" title for me.

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    After consulting the direct sales numbers, . . .
    I wonder if comic book shops would be ordering more copies of the DCYou books if they weren't also having to deal with all those Secret Wars titles that nobody will really care about in 2016?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I wonder if comic book shops would be ordering more copies of the DCYou books if they weren't also having to deal with all those Secret Wars titles that nobody will really care about in 2016?
    If this is the case, Marvel's marketing absolutely destroyed the DCYou campaign.

Omega Men is getting at least 12 issues, as promised.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    If this is the case, Marvel's marketing absolutely destroyed the DCYou campaign.
    No, Marvel zombies are the worst thing that has ever happened to comics, and before someone comes with the I only love DC comics , false .

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
    No, Marvel zombies are the worst thing that has ever happened to comics, and before someone comes with the I only love DC comics , false .
    Actually, I think Speculators are the worst thing that has ever happened to comics.
    A websearch for "hot comics this week" will turn up plenty of sites geared towards showing people what comics they should be investing in or watching out for.
    Sadly, it's one product of the 90s that hasn't gone away.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    It kind of has. It's more focused on government conspiracies and Dinah's past than anything else. The band itself is mainly just a means to give Dinah a supporting cast.
    That's nice to hear then, I'll give it another shot.

Fans looking for a bold, different, thought provoking book should definitely check out Omega Men. Keep the book alive!

Grayson is a blast, too. Fun and intelligent. Those are easily my top two.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Actually, I think Speculators are the worst thing that has ever happened to comics.
    A websearch for "hot comics this week" will turn up plenty of sites geared towards showing people what comics they should be investing in or watching out for.
    Sadly, it's one product of the 90s that hasn't gone away.
    speculators arr complicated, thry made a lot of monry to publishers and then stopped.buying so market went down almost bankrupt marvel.
    im the.end, it.was bad for comics

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gswarthout View Post
    omega men is getting at least 12 issues, as promised.
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    speculators arr complicated, thry made a lot of monry to publishers and then stopped.buying so market went down almost bankrupt marvel.
    im the.end, it.was bad for comics
    It wasn't so much the speculator bubble bursting for Marvel that bankrupted them, but their disasterous attempt to develop their own distribution system. That was actually disasterous for the N American industry as whole as it left Diamond as a de facto monopoly. It was like a perfect storm of everything going wrong at once.