Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default These Are the DC You Books You Should Be Reading

With DC Comics' DC You initiative four months in, CBR rounds up the titles that have lived up to their hype and more.

Full article here.

I find it fitting that the DC title at the top of this list is one of the many getting cancelled.

Spectacular Member

With the exception of Midnighter, all of these are a big fat pass. Here's a list of DC books YOU should read:

Batman, Green Arrow, Cyborg, Grayson & Teen Titans

If you want really good Constantine, read Hellblazer off of Vertigo. Literally any of the Vertigo books will beat out the Constantine crap thats being pushed by DC right now.... Especially 'Fear and Loathing'.

I would also suggest picking up the first arc of Gotham By Midnight. It's tragic that the book is ending but then again without Templesmith it really isnt worth it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Azraelsos View Post
    I find it fitting that the DC title at the top of this list is one of the many getting cancelled.
    In that case, it would be "should have been reading".

Spectacular Member

I'd thought about picking up Starfire but after losing Batman '66 I've got a bit of a grudge against DC at the moment.

Incredible Member

I'd swap Omega Men for Midnighter or Grayson, simply because they're still going. As much as I'm enjoying Omega Men, I dno if I'm actually gonna grab the rest. I think I'll wait to see if it's actually brought to a proper conclusion.

For Robin: Son of Batman... Gleason really needs someone to help with the scripting. Plotting, pacing, characterization, great. But that dialogue... Holy cheese. It's the only thing stopping the book from being great. But not bad enough for me to drop it.

There are still 3 issues left of Omega Men. Couldn't whoever hasn't put it on their pull list yet do so and push the reorders up even for another 6 months? Campaign!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The only book from that list I'm reading is Starfire which replaces Batman '66 as my "fun" DC book to read. The rest? No thanks.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Of all the titles listed the only one I considered picking up was We are Robin and I still haven't made the time to start it.

kfuqua

I can't agree with any of the books on this list. I tried a few issues of Starfire and Omega Men, but neither held my interest enough to keep me coming back. I couldn't continue with the others after the preview issues. What they've done to Black Canary (and Batgirl for that matter) is ridiculous, I can't stand Damien Wayne and wish they had left him dead and I couldn't get into We Are Robin; the art was horrible and it just didn't do it for me. I'm also not on board for honorable mention, Midnighter. I do not like it at all. Unfortunately for me, I'm a long-time comics fan that hates that DC decided to abandon it's long-time fans and bring out a line of comics that is mostly garbage. I miss Batman, Superman, the Legion of Superheroes, etc.

I've been kind of busy the past six weeks, so I've been catching up on my titles (and here) and just found out about the new wave of cancellations.
    As much as I like the creative team, Starfire #1 didn't grab me...but maybe I should try again.

I am worried about JL3001. I'm loving that series and was so happy it didn't get canned (and just went from 3000 to 3001).

Omega Men should have been dropped from the list. Once it was cancelled ending at Issue 9 of a 12 issue storyline. Unless they are positive of a resolution, any fans picking up an unfinished storyline will just make them angry.

With Black Canary, I hated what they did with Batgirl so much there was no way I was going to get Black Canary.

I can't comment on the other three, but I may now check out trades of them. At least Starfire.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KidGetNice View Post
    With the exception of Midnighter, all of these are a big fat pass. Here's a list of DC books YOU should read:

Batman, Green Arrow, Cyborg, Grayson & Teen Titans

If you want really good Constantine, read Hellblazer off of Vertigo. Literally any of the Vertigo books will beat out the Constantine crap thats being pushed by DC right now.... Especially 'Fear and Loathing'.

I would also suggest picking up the first arc of Gotham By Midnight. It's tragic that the book is ending but then again without Templesmith it really isnt worth it.
    I agree with you about Green Arrow and Grayson, Batman is something arguable for many reasons and cyborg i've just read only first issue so i can't evaluate it...
    however, Teen Titans?!? really? This Titans run is worst than Lobdell's, if it's possible.

Spectacular Member Tula's boyfriend's Avatar

Personally I think it is an absolute shame that Omega Men was cancelled since there was a 12 promise given to the write, Please read the post below which I have shared before. It may do nothing more, but let DC know how us fans feel about DC being cancelled, so it is worth a shot.

I am not sure if will help, but I just emailed DC, explaining my displeasure with the forthcoming cancellation of Omega Men and asked that they rescind the cancellation and at least allow the creative team to publish up to 12 issues as had been mapped out. I suggested that if the book works past 12, then keep up with it, but if it does not go, then at least we have a full story as a mini-series as the writer wanted to do. I implore anyone who wants to see this title to continue to please email DC with the same request to bring the series back and let it at least end the story with 12 issues. Perhaps they will reconsider if ther is enough fan response.
    The email addres is here http://www.dcentertainment.com/#contactPleasealso share this idea and post with friends and on social media to see if we can at least get the story that was going to told and a chance to have the book continue. Much thanks for everyone who can help with this campaign. And even if is does not work at least DC will know how fans feel...and writing one email is not too a commitment to make a try.

DC Entertainment
    DC Entertainment, home to iconic brands DC Comics (Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, The Flash), Vertigo (Sandman, Fables) and MAD, is the creative division charged with strategically integrating its content across Warner...
    DCENTERTAINMENT.COM

I'm picking up all at the moment. I'm of the opinion that DC really out-did themselves with the DC-You initiative. I couldn't help but support.