Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default DC to Give Bill Finger Official Credit on "Batman v Superman" and "Gotham"

The late writer will be officially recognized in "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" and "Gotham" for his contributions in creating the Bat-mythos.

Full article here.

They certainly took their sweet time, but well done none the less!
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Anytime Bob gets a credit, Bill does as well, it's that simple.

Good this happening, but you wonder why it took so long.

I've never liked what I read about Bob Kane, so I have a foremost affinity for Bill.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Amazing Member

Wow, didn't know the lack of Finger's credits were due to legal restrictions.

BOUT DAM TAHHM.

About damn time.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Ultimate Member

Very happy to hear this.

Yeah, this is great -- anywhere Finger can get Bat-credit, he should.

Still hoping that one day he'll be credited on the actual comics.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Always worth a reminder that the minor contributions of Bill Finger (who died poor and unrecognized in 1974) to the mythos include the name (both Bruce Wayne and possibly the title of Batman itself, with rumors that Kane's original title was "Bird-Man", though that's less substantiated as far as I can tell), the costume, the origin, that he's a non-powered crimefighter who is a detective, the Batmobile, Gotham City, Commissioner Gordon, Robin, Joker, Catwoman, Two-Face, Scarecrow and a few other odds and ends, as well as creating Green Lantern, and writing stories including both the first full-length telling of Superman's origin, and Superman himself encountering Kryptonite for the first time and actually learning about Krypton. Bob Kane meanwhile, whose most significant contribution to Batman was a sketch of a blonde guy in a red suit with glider wings, referred to Finger as "my good crony" while claiming for decades that claims by Finger of being Batman's co-creator were "hallucinations of grandeur", actively helped screw over Siegel and Shuster to score points with DC so he could renegotiate his Batman contract in his favor (complete with lying about his age to claim that the original contract was invalid, having supposedly been written when he was a minor), and is generally known in stories among those who knew him as being an almost comically terrible human being, went with this as his gravestone:

God, it seems, was a prestigious enough co-creator for Kane to fess up that someone else was involved in the process. So I'm pretty happy to see even a start in getting Finger recognition, even if it's not the universal "Batman created by Bill Finger, and also Bob Kane was there too we guess" credit I long for. I think, in the end, Ty Templeton put it best.

(Though I've heard the Riddler was Kane's idea, and I will definitely give him a lot of credit if that's true, because the Riddler is great)
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 09-18-2015 at 11:05 AM.
    Buh-bye

Incredible Member

Finally people justice.

My give a damn's busted Kevin T Brown's Avatar

Only a few decades late.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, too bad that he isn't around to see (whereas Bob Kane got to mask in it for years). Still, good on them for finally getting around to it. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I don't really care if Bob Kane gets credited. I just hate that he keeps getting SOLE credit, because that's some grade-A BS. I wonder what's changed, did the Kane family finally cave a little or something?

Amazing Member

Note that they're not specifying HOW they credit him. For years the obstacleas been the contract with Bob Kane that requires them to list him as the sole creator of BATMAN. I expect Finger's credit to be something vaguer like "and inspired by the comic books of Bill Finger."

It'd be great if they could just say "created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane" though.

Astonishing Member

Better late than never.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Anytime Bob gets a credit, Bill does as well, it's that simple.

Good this happening, but you wonder why it took so long.

I've never liked what I read about Bob Kane, so I have a foremost affinity for Bill.
    Same here, every oldtimer I read about sorta tolerated Kane at best.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Melbourne View Post
    Note that they're not specifying HOW they credit him. For years the obstacleas been the contract with Bob Kane that requires them to list him as the sole creator of BATMAN. I expect Finger's credit to be something vaguer like "and inspired by the comic books of Bill Finger."

It'd be great if they could just say "created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane" though.
    I'm thinking you're right. The Kane estate has been adamant about blocking Bill Finger from receiving co-creator credit, so we probably won't see a "Batman created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger". Considering all the evidence out there against Bob Kane in favor of Bill Finger, it's mind-boggling how DC is still not able to throw out Kane's old contract.