Incredible Member

Post Spider Gwen is it worth getting ?

Ok I seen all the stuff about the Spider-Gwen comic but I have not read any of it. I admit the whole gimmick thing has put me off "oh look it's Gwen Stacey but with the Spiderpowers instead of peter ! That whole AU gimmick has been done to death 1000x before.
    But I have also read the press reports of her popularity etc so I ask people here is it worth a read ?

The only way to know for sure is to read it yourself. I could tell you that it is or isn't, but who am I and who the hell is anyone else on here? I say read the first issue or trade and make up your own mind. You're not committing to reading it for life if you don't like it, and chances are, you could probably sell whatever you get if you don't want it when you're done.

I recommend getting the trade from the library, so if you hate it, it didn't cost you anything, unless you return it late.

I liked the first arc. I recomend it to you so you can see that Spider-Gwen isn't just a girl with Peter's powers.

I've had a couple of people asks me about Spider-Gwen (there is also a older thread made by somebody who wanted to know about the thoughts from readers about Spider-Gwen here: http://community.comicbookresources....son-One-(-1-5) )

Now first thing that got my attention was that you wrote "oh look it's Gwen Stacey but with the Spiderpowers instead of peter" Which Gwen Stacy are you referring to? 616 Gwen Stacy I'm assuming? Then you are very off track to who this Gwen is then.
    The thing is she might be "Gwen Stacy" BUT she is NOT 616 Gwen Stacy. Her personality, her history, what makes her "her", the time period, the world she lives in, the attitude of the world and situations, and everything that helps shape a person is different from the 616 version resulting in a different Gwen Stacy. Alternate Gwen Stacy. Alternate means different. Now I understand why you think that. Many times when a What if tale showing a alternate world or a new earth is shown and the writers use the characters they always have the characters personalities and history match despite being a alternate world which differences could of happened. I believe the writers don't changes things as it would upset long term fans who are so use to certain things ingrained. Thus in many alternate worlds the history of Spider-Man/Peter Park remains the same, his personality remains the same, Uncle Ben dies and the lesson of responsibility remains the same and so does his cast usually as well.
    However Gwen out of all the Spider-Man cast of characters seems to have more variety lately then the others. In the past 20 years I read and seen her play many different parts and roles then any of the other characters and that's due to not being used for some time allowing obscurity to help free her from being set as just one way. Now 616 version Gwen Stacy death is seen as iconic and for many no matter what alternate version or different Gwen many assume that Gwen must die because one well known version did. But their have been some Gwen's that lived and now a Gwen that is a super-hero in her own world. The nature and set pattern of her death has been challenged and now Gwen can be shown to be or become anything. The now potential of a road of endless possibilities, personalities, and chances of unknown fates (provided with a well written story and characterization) for Gwens of the future has made "Gwen" to become the most versatile used character of the Spider-Man cast for many alternate worlds.

Thus going back to assume that this Gwen is the same Gwen as 616 version. She is not. She is basically a different person. She IS a different person. They are not the same. 616 Gwen is still dead and she is a great regret and failure guilt on Peter of 616 even now. Meeting many different alternate Gwens doesn't stop that moment in time for 616 Peter. He still failed to save 616 Gwen and if anything meeting alternate living Gwens just has him seeing the face of the person he failed and dead back on his world and thus motivates how he reacts when he meets alternate Gwens (and visa-versa).

Gwen of 616 has not come back from death. She not back from the dead like some might believe or how I overhear people respond to Spider-Gwen. "Oh they brought her back from death." No they didn't.

This Gwen of Earth-65 might of grown up and become that Gwen-616 if all the same things, very same history, meeting the same characters, and growing up in the same time period and culture, everything that can sculpturing her to be just like the 616 version plus the other characters as well being the same. But nothing like that happened. Gwen of Earth-65 comes from a Punk rock type of world, she comes from and growing up in a more modern for this time period and culture and technology age, the people she meets and has influenced her life and directions and personality is and also are different. This Gwen aspires and is a drummer while Gwen of 616 was a socially popular science student. This Gwen of Earth-65 has shown signs that she might not be socially popular and a introvert but has alot on her mind. Overall it is best not to think of her as "616 Gwen with Spider powers". It best to think of the two (and other alternate future Gwens) as separate characters (as they are) and you are just meeting this brand new character who name is Gwen Stacy. Everything that makes a person and the life choices defining them is different.
    Plus not just her but also Earth-65's: Frank Castle, her dad, Mary Jane, Felicia, Matt Murdock, Uncle Ben and basically everybody has some traits or simultaneities to the version found in 616-Earth but many differences or potential differences shaping them to be different people.

If you yourself met another version of you from a alternate world the odds are you would probably find that version to be little or vastly different from you because of possibly something different happening or influencing in that alternate world. Thus that other you isn't really "you". Both you and him/her would be two separate people, two separate individuals not a copy, thus there would never truly be another perfect copy version one like you in all of realities. There can never be another one just like you if it's a alternate world and not a copy world.

Here is a copy of a past quick review I wrote to a friend in the past and where to start with Spider-Gwen if possible:

"I love Spider-Gwen and it was this character and the comic Edge of Spider-Verse #2 that got me into comics.

If you are going to take a chance on her I recommend Edge of Spider-Verse #2 as that was her first appearance and breakout comic and feels like a true issue #1 for her and the world. Since they made that comic believing it was going to be a one shot tale that comic moves at a good pace and isn't slow. Since they earned an unplanned ongoing and had very little time in making it the team did a very good job art and story wise however it moves slower then other comics but for an understandable reason. Most comics takes place on worlds with established characters and events of that world such as 616. Earth-65 is brand new thus everything must be shown and established in time from the tone of the world itself, it's characters as everyone of them is new (in some form as being alternates means they can possibly be nothing like any other version thus each one is basically a new character for readers and has to be established), and brand new history being made. The writer must make something brand new and establish it for the readers. Some characters are very similar to their other counterparts (but we don't know that till we see them) while others are very little like any alternate that we have seen thus far. The cast and the interactions are being shown to us for the first time thus each needs proper care and time. We are being fed good pieces of information to us as it happens or interacts with Gwen (plus in those times we see more of who Gwen of Earth-65 is and her thoughts). Due to world building care it goes slower then other comics but each comic has been very enjoyable thus far. As we get to know the world and it's cast better I feel the writer will then pick up the speed after the necessary core cast, histories, and moments has been effectively shown. Discovering this world and it's cast has been a pleasure and seeing formerly establish from other worlds characters shown in a new light, age, morality, profession, or situation is a joy.

For the art I LOVE it. To me it's a visual treat but I understand that while some love it for others it's not their "cup of tea" as they say. Everybody has personal preferences thus I'm sure every comic artwork styles has it's fans and non-fans (most seem to like the art but some don't and that will be up to you personally).

I love Gwen. I love this version of Aunt May (a sage, warm-hearted, and she is no fool thus I can see why Gwen thinks of May and Ben as her "Aunt" May and "Uncle" Ben based on the love that flows out of them and feeling of family and kindness plus Gwen grew up with them as part of her life thus they are family to her and she is family to them), I like that Uncle Ben is alive in this Earth. Plus I like what they did with many of the other characters shown thus far: Matt Murdock, Frank Castle, Gwen's great loving and worried dad), look forward to what they will do with other characters ("Chat" has my attention), and wonder what they might do with the characters in Marvel's long history that has not yet been shown to us on that Earth (Black Cat is coming up soon and possibly will be in issue #5). The relationship between Gwen and her dad is wonderful. I wonder if we will see in details how he hunted and acted to "Spider-Woman" before he found out as well as other details and interactions of the past that can be evaluated and mixed with Gwen's and her cast present situations. The reader doesn't really start with her origin tales (that is shown with the only for the time needed details on only two pages in Edge of Spider-Verse #2) yet brought in still early enough in her superhero career to make rookie mistakes and losses.

Now before the comic came out some people thought that Spider-Gwen was going to be a lighthearted series. It isn't. Gwen is a dark heroine (possibly darker than the main Spider-man comic but that only from what others have said as I don't read the Spider-Man comic) and the Earth it's set on is a punk rock album tone and visual world. Gwen is suffering some rookie hero problem but also so spiritual and emotional problems. Gwen also seems to be getting battered in many of her battles and her life is tough. In issue #2 there is an indication that since a tragic event happened in her life she goes to bars and is a alcoholic (since issue #4 she has gotten some help emotionally by May the drinking problem might not stay). She suffering some self-worth issues and sees "Gwen Stacy" as a problem. It's rated T+ for a reason thus don't let some sexy or cute fanart of Gwen (that I love) cause a false illusion to her comic's fun but also serious nature.

Due to the first arc's good but slower then most comics story I defiantly recommend Edge of Spider-Verse Gwen Stacy to be the first read then followed with the Spider-Gwen series (either buying issues 1-5 or since a trade book most likely will be coming soon wait till that comes as having the full arc tale will feel like a full rich story without the slow feeling but wanting more pace and eventual tale and characterization payoff that waiting monthly had for the first arc of the series).

If I had to rank the issues also that came out thus far then Spider-Gwen issue #1 was very good but also the weakest issue for me however that isn't a bad thing as each issue for me has gotten stronger and better then the last. Thrilled for the upcoming Spider-Gwen #5 coming out soon."

Later I wrote:

"After I read issue #5 (and loved it) I feel that issue marked the monument where Spider-Gwen comics could/would have pacing similar to other comics and was now out of the gate and running. I love each issue but the first two issues contained slow but necessary info while 3-5 was fun, action, heartfelt (very important to me if not the most important), humorous, intense tone (Matt "Murderdock" gives off a real threatening vibe and I love it as he is a great villain for Gwen to have and stands out very well with abilities that can equally give a strong showdown against Gwen's spider senses plus Castle's investigation and pursuit), and overall gave me an understand on the main cast and how Spider-Gwen's life is as "Gwen Stacy" the drummer and Spider-Woman for the most part. Gwen Stacy is quite and remains in her head keeping to the background while others talk but is a needed part of others lives and she needs them as well (much like real drummers whom is in the back and won't gain the same attention compared to the singers and the ones on stage with guitars yet with no drummer the band falls) while Spider-Woman is load and very verbal and makes a scene when she enters (when she puts on her mask/second face she unlocks another deep part of her that's more extroverted vs the introverted "space case" keeping to herself human Gwen in this universe).

Love to see what they will do with the characters and who might show up and how different they could be compared to other alternate versions of who we know. I agree that the comic got past it tutorial level/intro stage and was ready for new adventures then got walled by the Secret Wars. The Secret Wars did come at a bad time for Spider-Gwen (I feel that 12-19 issues out monthly or every 2-3 weeks then potentially a small hiatus for all comics so the writers to come up with plans and strengthen every comic and it's characters while having some time to recuperated as well to help give the best they can much like how shows have breaks for a season). Hopefully the writer(s) will take this hiatus time forced on them to come up with more great plans, story and character ideas, treaks, and help Spider-Gwen in any way needed."

I wasn't a comicbook reader but one day passing the local comicbook shop I saw in the window "Edge of the Spider-Verse: Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman issue#2" Her debut comic. That one-shot comic story and character was so popular that Marvel decide to have this Gwen and her world be a ongoing series that became "Spider-Gwen". Well that art on the cover and how awesome she looked really caught my eye and fascination enough to make me give it a shot and she became my first comicbook and character that got me into comics. Since then I think that one comic tale has had many reprinting (7 I think and the first printing of the comic runs for alot of money) and come I think in November Marvel is going to have a "Director's edition" of that comic coming out (which means it will have the comic plus bonus material http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/d...2+%230_1481962 ) and also it's going to be in Spider-Gwen's first trade book of her series (I think). I recommend if you do pick her up to start either with Edge of the Spider-Verse #2 (her debut and proper feeling issue number 1 for her) or her tradebook that has the first 5 issues of Spider-Gwen on-going series and the Edge of the Spider-Verse #2 comic (I think and only if if does have the Edge of the Spider-Verse comic inside otherwise get that issue first then the trade book) http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/d...ost+Wa_1482506

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by goof View Post
    I recommend getting the trade from the library, so if you hate it, it didn't cost you anything, unless you return it late.
    Already tried that the library doesn't have it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    Here is a copy of a past quick review I wrote to a friend in the past and where to start with Spider-Gwen if possible:

"I love Spider-Gwen and it was this character and the comic Edge of Spider-Verse #2 that got me into comics.

If you are going to take a chance on her I recommend Edge of Spider-Verse #2 as that was her first appearance and breakout comic and feels like a true issue #1 for her and the world. Since they made that comic believing it was going to be a one shot tale that comic moves at a good pace and isn't slow. Since they earned an unplanned ongoing and had very little time in making it the team did a very good job art and story wise however it moves slower then other comics but for an understandable reason. Most comics takes place on worlds with established characters and events of that world such as 616. Earth-65 is brand new thus everything must be shown and established in time from the tone of the world itself, it's characters as everyone of them is new (in some form as being alternates means they can possibly be nothing like any other version thus each one is basically a new character for readers and has to be established), and brand new history being made. The writer must make something brand new and establish it for the readers. Some characters are very similar to their other counterparts (but we don't know that till we see them) while others are very little like any alternate that we have seen thus far. The cast and the interactions are being shown to us for the first time thus each needs proper care and time. We are being fed good pieces of information to us as it happens or interacts with Gwen (plus in those times we see more of who Gwen of Earth-65 is and her thoughts). Due to world building care it goes slower then other comics but each comic has been very enjoyable thus far. As we get to know the world and it's cast better I feel the writer will then pick up the speed after the necessary core cast, histories, and moments has been effectively shown. Discovering this world and it's cast has been a pleasure and seeing formerly establish from other worlds characters shown in a new light, age, morality, profession, or situation is a joy.

For the art I LOVE it. To me it's a visual treat but I understand that while some love it for others it's not their "cup of tea" as they say. Everybody has personal preferences thus I'm sure every comic artwork styles has it's fans and non-fans (most seem to like the art but some don't and that will be up to you personally).

I love Gwen. I love this version of Aunt May (a sage, warm-hearted, and she is no fool thus I can see why Gwen thinks of May and Ben as her "Aunt" May and "Uncle" Ben based on the love that flows out of them and feeling of family and kindness plus Gwen grew up with them as part of her life thus they are family to her and she is family to them), I like that Uncle Ben is alive in this Earth. Plus I like what they did with many of the other characters shown thus far: Matt Murdock, Frank Castle, Gwen's great loving and worried dad), look forward to what they will do with other characters ("Chat" has my attention), and wonder what they might do with the characters in Marvel's long history that has not yet been shown to us on that Earth (Black Cat is coming up soon and possibly will be in issue #5). The relationship between Gwen and her dad is wonderful. I wonder if we will see in details how he hunted and acted to "Spider-Woman" before he found out as well as other details and interactions of the past that can be evaluated and mixed with Gwen's and her cast present situations. The reader doesn't really start with her origin tales (that is shown with the only for the time needed details on only two pages in Edge of Spider-Verse #2) yet brought in still early enough in her superhero career to make rookie mistakes and losses.

Now before the comic came out some people thought that Spider-Gwen was going to be a lighthearted series. It isn't. Gwen is a dark heroine (possibly darker than the main Spider-man comic but that only from what others have said as I don't read the Spider-Man comic) and the Earth it's set on is a punk rock album tone and visual world. Gwen is suffering some rookie hero problem but also so spiritual and emotional problems. Gwen also seems to be getting battered in many of her battles and her life is tough. In issue #2 there is an indication that since a tragic event happened in her life she goes to bars and is a alcoholic (since issue #4 she has gotten some help emotionally by May the drinking problem might not stay). She suffering some self-worth issues and sees "Gwen Stacy" as a problem. It's rated T+ for a reason thus don't let some sexy or cute fanart of Gwen (that I love) cause a false illusion to her comic's fun but also serious nature.

Due to the first arc's good but slower then most comics story I defiantly recommend Edge of Spider-Verse Gwen Stacy to be the first read then followed with the Spider-Gwen series (either buying issues 1-5 or since a trade book most likely will be coming soon wait till that comes as having the full arc tale will feel like a full rich story without the slow feeling but wanting more pace and eventual tale and characterization payoff that waiting monthly had for the first arc of the series).

If I had to rank the issues also that came out thus far then Spider-Gwen issue #1 was very good but also the weakest issue for me however that isn't a bad thing as each issue for me has gotten stronger and better then the last. Thrilled for the upcoming Spider-Gwen #5 coming out soon."

Later I wrote:

"After I read issue #5 (and loved it) I feel that issue marked the monument where Spider-Gwen comics could/would have pacing similar to other comics and was now out of the gate and running. I love each issue but the first two issues contained slow but necessary info while 3-5 was fun, action, heartfelt (very important to me if not the most important), humorous, intense tone (Matt "Murderdock" gives off a real threatening vibe and I love it as he is a great villain for Gwen to have and stands out very well with abilities that can equally give a strong showdown against Gwen's spider senses plus Castle's investigation and pursuit), and overall gave me an understand on the main cast and how Spider-Gwen's life is as "Gwen Stacy" the drummer and Spider-Woman for the most part. Gwen Stacy is quite and remains in her head keeping to the background while others talk but is a needed part of others lives and she needs them as well (much like real drummers whom is in the back and won't gain the same attention compared to the singers and the ones on stage with guitars yet with no drummer the band falls) while Spider-Woman is load and very verbal and makes a scene when she enters (when she puts on her mask/second face she unlocks another deep part of her that's more extroverted vs the introverted "space case" keeping to herself human Gwen in this universe).

Love to see what they will do with the characters and who might show up and how different they could be compared to other alternate versions of who we know. I agree that the comic got past it tutorial level/intro stage and was ready for new adventures then got walled by the Secret Wars. The Secret Wars did come at a bad time for Spider-Gwen (I feel that 12-19 issues out monthly or every 2-3 weeks then potentially a small hiatus for all comics so the writers to come up with plans and strengthen every comic and it's characters while having some time to recuperated as well to help give the best they can much like how shows have breaks for a season). Hopefully the writer(s) will take this hiatus time forced on them to come up with more great plans, story and character ideas, treaks, and help Spider-Gwen in any way needed."

I wasn't a comicbook reader but one day passing the local comicbook shop I saw in the window "Edge of the Spider-Verse: Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman issue#2" Her debut comic. That one-shot comic story and character was so popular that Marvel decide to have this Gwen and her world be a ongoing series that became "Spider-Gwen". Well that art on the cover and how awesome she looked really caught my eye and fascination enough to make me give it a shot and she became my first comicbook and character that got me into comics. Since then I think that one comic tale has had many reprinting (7 I think and the first printing of the comic runs for alot of money) and come I think in November Marvel is going to have a "Director's edition" of that comic coming out (which means it will have the comic plus bonus material http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/d...2+%230_1481962 ) and also it's going to be in Spider-Gwen's first trade book of her series (I think). I recommend if you do pick her up to start either with Edge of the Spider-Verse #2 (her debut and proper feeling issue number 1 for her) or her tradebook that has the first 5 issues of Spider-Gwen on-going series and the Edge of the Spider-Verse #2 comic (I think and only if if does have the Edge of the Spider-Verse comic inside otherwise get that issue first then the trade book) http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/d...ost+Wa_1482506
    Thanks for the review and I will give the first issue a go certainly.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    The only way to know for sure is to read it yourself. I could tell you that it is or isn't, but who am I and who the hell is anyone else on here? I say read the first issue or trade and make up your own mind. You're not committing to reading it for life if you don't like it, and chances are, you could probably sell whatever you get if you don't want it when you're done.
    You have a point actually . I remember seeing all the reviews of Age of Ultron before it came out and they said how great it was. Then I saw it and was thinking this is awful, so yeah I see what your saying.

BANNED

The thing is she might be "Gwen Stacy" BUT she is NOT 616 Gwen Stacy. Her personality, her history, what makes her "her", the time period, the world she lives in, the attitude of the world and situations, and everything that helps shape a person is different from the 616 version resulting in a different Gwen Stacy. Alternate Gwen Stacy. Alternate means different. […] Thus going back to assume that this Gwen is the same Gwen as 616 version. She is not. She is basically a different person. She IS a different person. They are not the same.
    Now try telling those, posting Spider-Gwen stuff, in the Gwen Stacy appreciation thread. Notice the absence of quotation marks, around the character's name, in that thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Now try telling those, posting Spider-Gwen stuff, in the Gwen Stacy appreciation thread. Notice the absence of quotation marks, around the character's name, in that thread title.
    The same goes for every character that has a appreciation thread. Due to the nature of a Mult-Verse in every appreciation thread lies the possibility for multiple characters to be respected or talked about in those threads.
    Because of that we have to use our heads and calculate which version every post could be written for when reading. Usually most readers can correctly assume which version is being written about in each post but if any confusion shows up then the writer will have to make clear which one he/she wrote about in a later post. There are many of Peter Parkers (while most are very similar there could be a time or a act that could be different thus two people could be talking about "Peter Parker" however one could be talking about 616 and the other 1610 versions) and the same applies for everybody else.

Due to the high precedent of people writing about the Gwen Stacy of Earth-65 I guess it would be wise to make a individual dedicated thread to her and allowing all other versions (616, 1610, all others) of Gwen Stacy to be discussed in the older appreciation thread.

Due to the nature of a Multiverse one could HATE one version of a character with such fury then discover and read about a brand new version on a newly created Earth and LOVE that version. A online comedian called Doug Walker (best known as the Nostalgia Critic) hates Lola Bunny from the movie Space Jam very much but on the The Looney Tunes Show that came out in 2011 his favorite beloved character on that show was Lola Bunny which he adored. The two might be "Lola Bunny" but the two were very different. Thus any character you might hate could become your own beloved character come another version created and developed.

BANNED

Due to the high precedent of people writing about the Gwen Stacy of Earth-65 I guess it would be wise to make a individual dedicated thread to her
    That was my guess too. Apparently, the admins side with the majority though, leaving classification/categorization concerns aside.

OP- in a word, yes
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

i like it. i didn't expect i would to be honest. Spider Gwen and Silk are great books.