Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

Default New Community Server

If you're seeing this message, you're seeing the CBR Community on its new server. If anything looks out of the ordinary or isn't operating as you would expect, please leave a comment here with detailed information on the issue you've encountered.

There may be more optimization needed to ensure these pages serve as quickly as possible on the new server. This may require some additional downtime. We'll update as needed.

Thanks for your patience and enjoy the community! Post away!
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

Spectacular Member

Page loading is still slow, but replying seems faster. Have you looked into distributed servers? It's quite a big community with a large amount of content, you may want to look at the architecture instead of trying to optimize one single server. I haven't dug into VBulletin in YEARS, but I know at my job to serve 2000 internal users, we use 2 front-end servers to serve our SharePoint deployment and one to index. Not apples to apples comparison but I think at the very least you'd want to separate the indexing from the front-end servers. You guys serve 100x the traffic I do internally.

Again, I know nothing of your server architecture but I try to help out where I can.

The old server that the community ran on is a 16 core machine. The new one is 32. We're thinking of using the 32 solely for MySQL and then splitting the page serving load across both servers. May try that tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

Extraordinary Member

I just look forward to the mobile feature. I found it fantastic to use and I really enjoyed it.0

I use to access you folks using "forums.comicbookresources.com", but that evidently won't work any longer?

I get a message saying
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
    (I guess now I have to get use to typing "community" into my address . . . )

We aren't sure what the issue is. The admins are looking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I use to access you folks using "forums.comicbookresources.com", but that evidently won't work any longer?

I get a message saying

(I guess now I have to get use to typing "community" into my address . . . )
    I circumvent the gargantuan task of typing out the entire URL by bookmarking the CBR forum. Just type 'com...' and it's up there.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

By the way, since this afternoon, the link through "forums.comicbookresources.com" has been working again for me, and it does bring me to the "community.comicbookresources.com" page without any problem.

Yeah, folks, sorry about that. We had an error in a config file. Was a temporary issue, actually unrelated to the new server.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams