Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    By "casting" I mean that Jason Momoa is a downright bad actor, capable of barely more than grunting and pulling off your everyday action scene
    Hemsworth was perceived as little more (if that) when he was cast.

Marvel has produced serveral subpar movies, but any single one of them was way better than MoS.
    Last edited by Calighoula; 09-21-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Considering that his two most recently released movies were directed by Ridley Scott and Jonathan Demme, appearing in a Zack Snyder movie would be a step down.
    Thing is nobody would know that. Yeah he needs the publicity he's no Chris Evans.

Extraordinary Member

Add to that the acting in Mos was way better than TDK or TWS.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Yes, you're halfway there. Again, it's not about TDK being the first to do it, it's about TDK being the movie that inspires others to follow suit.
    Except that, absent the Russos actually saying they were "inspired" by the Dark Knight there is a grand total of zero evidence to support that supposition.

Basically you're creating a false equivalency out of the fact that there was a scene in TWS that was, very superficially, similar to one in another popular movie that came out very recently prior to TWS, a type of scene that by its very nature is pretty much standard issue for these kinds of movies, with nothing inherently unique about it. By that standard, I could say that Nolan was "inspired" by the car chase scene in Live Free or Die Hard. Which is, of course, a ridiculous thing to say. What's almost certainly more likely to be true is that all of those directors--Nolan, Wiseman, the Russos--were inspired by the decades worth of car chase shootout scenes they saw in movies during their formative years as film fans and students of the medium.

BANNED

Hemsworth wasn't really perceived as anything when he was cast because most people had never heard of him or seen anything he was in. Mamoa is older, has been in the business longer, has a much more well know track record.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Add to that the acting in Mos was way better than TDK or TWS.
    Nolan can get great performances out of actors, as can the Russos. Snyder isn't an actor's director, but he did a lot better with MOS, it was probably the most human film he has made as of yet. Better than TDK or TWS is probably pushing it, though.

BANNED

I would say that MOS in on par with The Incredible Hulk or IM2. Maybe the first Thor, but that is being generous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Nolan can get great performances out of actors, as can the Russos. Snyder isn't an actor's director, but he did a lot better with MOS, it was probably the most human film he has made as of yet.
    Without question although it has to be ackowledged that his previous movies all set a pretty low bar on that scale, with their way out of proportion tilt towards style over substance.

Better than TDK or TWS is probably pushing it, though.
    As far as TWS is concerned, there's no probably about it. There are elements of MoS that I liked as well or better than TDK, though. But then, I think TDK is a somewhat overpraised (but very good) movie in general.

I give you the Fury scene, but then (IMO) the Russos completely surpassed any action scene in the Nolan Batman movies with the Freeway scene later, where Bucky attacks Cap, Widow and Falcon.
    Pfft, I wouldn't even be that generous. The whole "attack the motorcade" thing was done so much better by Tony Scott in Man on Fire. The after-thought appropriate Brett Ratner had trucks flipping during the shitty X3: The Last Stand when Magneto attacks the motorcade carrying Mystique. Then Sylar showed Magneto how to do it better in May 2007's Heroes episode 22!

I will give Nolan and crew credit, though, because they decided to flip a big-rig, rather than smaller armoured vans. That was all practical and very well executed.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Marvel has produced serveral subpar movies, but any single one of them was way better than MoS.

I'd rate MOS better than every phase 1 solo MCU film EXCEPT Iron Man 1. That film is a treasure. I'd also rate MOS better than Thor TDW and IM 3. With regards the latter, it's because IM3 ruined the Extremsis storyline, butchered AIM and turned the Mandarin into a walking punchline. That I cannot forgive. Everything with Tony is great though.

TWS, GOTG rate higher with me though. If we factor in other hitters, like the X-Men films and Spider-Man films; things become more skewed.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 09-21-2015 at 08:55 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Nolan can get great performances out of actors, as can the Russos. Snyder isn't an actor's director, but he did a lot better with MOS, it was probably the most human film he has made as of yet. Better than TDK or TWS is probably pushing it, though.
    Bale had what two facial expressions in TDK and an embarrasing voice. Compared to Zod Ledgers joker was a one dimensional cackling cartoon villian. Nolan is very overrated and makes technical mistakes of a rank amateur.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 09-21-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post

I'd rate MOS better than every phase 1 solo MCU film EXCEPT Iron Man 1. That film is a treasure. I'd also rate MOS better than Thor TDW and IM 3. With regards the latter, it's because IM3 ruined the Extremsis storyline, butchered AIM and turned the Mandarin into a walking punchline. That I cannot forgive. Everything with Tony is great though.
    MoS has lower critical reception then ANY phase 1 marvel film, Even IM2. Without checking I'd say lower then any phase 2 movie as well.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluekey View Post
    MoS has lower critical reception then ANY phase 1 marvel film, Even IM2. Without checking I'd say lower then any phase 2 movie as well.
    And critics are a measure of success? Superman Returns has a higher RT than MOS, Thor and Iron Man 2, and yet all those films made more money at the BO and were given sequels. Cloud Atlas has a positive score/higher RT rating than MOS, and that film bombed at the BO.

Critics Opinions =/= Quality or Sucess

Ultimate Member

I would say that MOS in on par with The Incredible Hulk or IM2. Maybe the first Thor, but that is being generous.
    Yeah, I'd rank it around those ones too.

I certainly won't rank it close to the better Marvel movies though.

MOS was ok, it wasn't great and it wasn't crap. It was just somewhere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    And critics are a measure of success? Superman Returns has a higher RT than MOS, Thor and Iron Man 2, and yet all those films made more money at the BO and were given sequels. Cloud Atlas has a positive score/higher RT rating than MOS, and that film bombed at the BO.

Critics Opinions =/= Quality or Sucess
    Wasn't referring to success, I was referring to your rating of MoS being "better" then pretty much all of Phase 1 MCU. Which of course you are free to prefer MoS to ALL marvel movies if you wish but claiming it's "better" is debatable.

as for MoS's BO performance. It wasn't a bomb by any means but it didn't wow anybody IIRC.