Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,382

    Default Batman Golden Age Omnibus

    Cannot wait until the BMGAO is released in November.

    Does anyone know the exact release date? I have never had a chance to read the early BM's or Detectives (even in reprint) so I am very excited to plop down some coins for this baby

    Anyone else excited for this pending release?

  2. #2
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    543

    Default

    It's just the same old re-reprinted material that has already "been there, done that", printed already in other available formats, Batman Archives / Dark Knight Archives / Batman Chronicles.

    Lemme know when 1947 issues of Batman, 1952 issues of Detective Comics will be reprinted.

  3. #3
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,267

    Default

    A long time ago--I think it was on the old DC message boards--I was insisting that DC should get away from volume numbers and just do years. Like instead of BATMAN GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS Vol. 1, the book would be BATMAN OMNIBUS 1939 - 1940. That would give DC some flexibility. They wouldn't necessarily have to do a Vol. 2 of 1941 material next. They could skip around a bit--do a BATMAN OMNIBUS 1951 - 1952 or BATMAN OMNIBUS 1969 - 1970. Of course, it would still take them forever to reprint everything, but they could hop around in time without putting out a number of different titles. If they had done it this way with the ARCHIVES--they could have reprinted some of the 1950s run twenty years ago.
    sorry🍁

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    It's just the same old re-reprinted material that has already "been there, done that", printed already in other available formats, Batman Archives / Dark Knight Archives / Batman Chronicles.
    Mostly, but it is in oversized format now -- that doesn't matter to everyone, but some people will be extremely glad about it. And since the Archives were by title rather than strictly chronological, and the Chronicles were on thin newsprint, you can certainly make the case that this is the "best" format that material has ever been in.

    Whether that's worth an upgrade to people who already own the Archives or Chronicles, of course, depends on your mileage. I'll probably get it from IST for 50% off the week of release, and donate my Chronicles to the local library or sell them on eBay or something.

  5. #5
    Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    The point for my excitement is I have Never read the early tales... that is what is important to me!

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    The point for my excitement is I have Never read the early tales... that is what is important to me!
    Enjoy! While they aren't all winners, there's some great stuff in those early tales. Some of the Gardner Fox-penned stories are just nuts, and it's fun to play "Hey, that's the first appearance of...!" with all of Batman's various tools.

  7. #7
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Mostly, but it is in oversized format now -- that doesn't matter to everyone, but some people will be extremely glad about it. And since the Archives were by title rather than strictly chronological, and the Chronicles were on thin newsprint, you can certainly make the case that this is the "best" format that material has ever been in.

    Whether that's worth an upgrade to people who already own the Archives or Chronicles, of course, depends on your mileage. I'll probably get it from IST for 50% off the week of release, and donate my Chronicles to the local library or sell them on eBay or something.
    I never bought the CHRONICLES as I have the ARCHIVES--but from what I remember seeing in the store, I wouldn't call that paper newsprint. I think it was a heavier stock (a slightly better stock than SHOWCASE PRESENTS). That wasn't the problem. It seemed to me that the colours didn't print welll.

    The CHRONICLES rely on the reconstructions from the ARCHIVES and while they're all right--I think they could be better. Unfortunately, the OMNIBUS will probably use the same reconstructions. I would want them to go back and do a better job reconstructing the line work and the colours. If they did that, then it might be worth it to get the OMNIBUS.

    Paper and strict chronology aren't worth it for me--but a re-mastered editon would be. I think I'll save my money and spend it on THE BEATLES 1+ DVD collection instead.
    sorry🍁

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member Abe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    It's announced for the 18th november on the DC site. I'm not sure if it's reliable (the Marvel site isn't) but the date is the same on Diamond previewsworld : http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JUL150308.

    I'm like you Mantis Girl 94 : really impatient to read these stories for the first time - never did ! - and I have already reserved it in my LCS weeks ago...

    From what I found on the net the Superman Golden Age Omnibus hasn't been remastered and seems to be done from the same reconstruction than the 80's Archive... I guess it's not a real good news, but I'm currently enjoying the "Superman the war years 1938-1945" - presented by Roy Thomas - that Ive bought last week (with the SM GA Omnibus impossible to find, that was a good surprise !). Even with the maybe bad work of reconstruction it's an absolute treat : the first issues, a wonderful Lois Lane with a look and an attitude from the 30's and 40's... I love it !

    With DKIII coming, Superman Alien - which seems really nice, and Wonder Woman in Darkseid Wars - I've bought the two first volume of WW Chronicles one month ago - it's a great time for an almost DC newbie like me to enjoy the GA trinity at last !

    Hey ! I have even found today the 3rd issue of Kirby's New Gods where the Black Racer shows up for the first time - like if he was actually racing in my shelves to catch up with Black Flash ! November will be good as hell for me !

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Abe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    It's in the "upcoming release" page for the 18th November, updated this morning !

    http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/954

    Good news !

  10. #10
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I never bought the CHRONICLES as I have the ARCHIVES--but from what I remember seeing in the store, I wouldn't call that paper newsprint. I think it was a heavier stock (a slightly better stock than SHOWCASE PRESENTS). That wasn't the problem. It seemed to me that the colours didn't print welll.

    The CHRONICLES rely on the reconstructions from the ARCHIVES and while they're all right--I think they could be better. Unfortunately, the OMNIBUS will probably use the same reconstructions. I would want them to go back and do a better job reconstructing the line work and the colours. If they did that, then it might be worth it to get the OMNIBUS.
    Sorry folks - but DC - with decreasing interests in continuations of interest of continuing Archives / Chronicles / Showcases / ect, most sources of classic DC in general - just seems to be taking FOREVER or NEVER in reprinting those later Golden Age - early Silver Age issues that has not been reprinted yet. Someday, I would like to, for instance, read more Batman vs Classic purple-dressed Catwoman adventures, of the late forties, later than 1946, as well as other Batman vs Killer Moth, Deadshot, King of Cats, ect, that has not even been GIANT-sized issue reprinted.

  11. #11
    Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    No longer excited for this book....Jimbat has turned me off...

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Abe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    No longer excited for this book....Jimbat has turned me off...
    Don't give him that importance ! I'm pretty excited because it's a missing piece in the puzzle - and an important one ! I'm also afraid that it will be sold out soon, thus my excitation... But reading GA books is always a strange experience so... Did you read the article ChiefJon wrote about Superman and Namor ? It's really worthy ! I love the one about Batman and his surprising conclusion. Still need to read the next, about Wonder Woman. It's brilliant ! I think the link to the first article (Namor / Superman) is on the 1st page of the Namor appreciation thread. It should lead you to the others. Enjoy ! It's better than Jimbat !

  13. #13
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Sorry folks - but DC - with decreasing interests in continuations of interest of continuing Archives / Chronicles / Showcases / ect, most sources of classic DC in general - just seems to be taking FOREVER or NEVER in reprinting those later Golden Age - early Silver Age issues that has not been reprinted yet.
    But is it really a case of "DC - with decreasing interests in continuations of interest of continuing Archives / Chronicles / Showcases / etc", or is the possibility more likely that not enough people were buying what DC had previously been offering, making it a questionable call for DC to keep publishing them?

    How many times have comic book companies tried to revive older franchises, only to have sales be lackluster? (Look at what happened with Marvel's All-Winners Squad: Band of Heroes mini a while back . . . they didn't even finish the run because their were next to no buyers for it. )

    Just because you (and I) may want companies like DC to offer things, 99-out-of-100 other readers may have no interest in it.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member Abe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    It's absolutely awesome. One word needed : HUGE !

  15. #15
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    335

    Default

    For anyone who enjoyed this volume, the Golden Age Batman omnibus volume 2 was just announced for release next summer. The contents listed in the solicitation would take it up through volume 8 of the Chronicles volumes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •