Page 263 of 286 FirstFirst ... 163213253259260261262263264265266267273 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,945 of 4285
    Mighty Member

Revisited Identity Crisis recently and to this day i still do not think it was as bad as people made it to be. It's on my top five favorites stories of all time. I have no shame in admitting that either.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    Revisited Identity Crisis recently and to this day i still do not think it was as bad as people made it to be. It's on my top five favorites stories of all time. I have no shame in admitting that either.
    I have to say I love Identity Crisis. It would probably be my favorite if not for Infinite Crisis.

Grant Morrison's work with certain DC characters shows that there are some things that just do not work in the present day.

Fantastic Member

I do not like the cat and bat romance would rather have bruce marry diana instead or date other women for that matter.
    Why not give bruce the ability to use ki chi chakra like shonen jump characters so people will not complain he is bat god .
    I like the pre 52 look diana the most I want the swimsuit look back
    Like the man of steel superman the best and the silver age version was to uber but goku would have still kicked the silver age superman's butt
    I think John Stewart is a better green lantern than Hal Jordan
    I liked the Thanargarian hawks better than the earth jsa ones

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense man View Post
    I do not like the cat and bat romance would rather have bruce marry diana instead or date other women for that matter.
    Why not give bruce the ability to use ki chi chakra like shonen jump characters so people will not complain he is bat god .
    I like the pre 52 look diana the most I want the swimsuit look back
    Like the man of steel superman the best and the silver age version was to uber but goku would have still kicked the silver age superman's butt
    I think John Stewart is a better green lantern than Hal Jordan
    I liked the Thanargarian hawks better than the earth jsa ones
    Because that would make him more of a Batgod than he's already perceived as.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Grant Morrison's work with certain DC characters shows that there are some things that just do not work in the present day.
    Super-heroes themselves are difficult to make work in the modern world.

Heroes who lack super-powers yet are somehow able to maintain secret identities in the modern world are entirely implausible.

It might come to a point where readers just won't accept this stuff any longer, and super-hero stories will need to become period pieces. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

BANNED

Because that would make him more of a Batgod than he's already perceived as.
    DC has never passed up the chance to make him more and more of a Batgod.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    Watchmen is good but it's not that good.

*Ducks*
    that is right. Its OK but it was not the block buster storyline that legend would have you believe.

BANNED

The Terrifics is not so good. The storyline is flat and without depth. I thought it would be promising, but its not working. It needs a different writer.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I think it was Margot kidder that made me dislike Lois. Too often her Lois was just a JERK and I spent a lot of years thinking Superman could do better. Especially come Superman III when Lana came back as the nice girl back home.
    Kidder never bothered me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Smallville Lois also had her jerk moments... but they were also thrown in as kind of a spunky teasing that I found fun. It's the age old dilemma of how do you show someone as driven and ambitious... without being an arrogant jerk.
    Oh yeah, they were definitely going for spunky teasing with Smallville, Terri Hatcher and in Jeph Loeb's comics. It always came across more to my as bullying though. Constant belittling of Clark which didn't seem at all affectionate to me.

Quote Originally Posted by reni344 View Post
    I have to say I love Identity Crisis. It would probably be my favorite if not for Infinite Crisis.
    Identity Crisis is good. Infinite Crisis is probably the worst of the whole bunch (unless you count Zero hour)

BANNED

Despite what Geoff Johns says, "overcoming fear" does not "define greatness." Nobody has ever thought, "Hey, they guy was scared as crap but he did it anyway, and that makes him greater than anybody who ever did any other thing." In fact, many people overcome fear so they can do bad or stupid things...

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Which stuff?

Most of his superhero works are not presented as being super serious, grounded or realistic, so his plotting and execution of characters are pretty consistent internally.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Despite what Geoff Johns says, "overcoming fear" does not "define greatness."
    LOL "define greatness." did he say that? where are you quoting from, or is that your made up quote?
    This seems a contemporary interpretation, by modern fans threatened by the classic Corps idea created by John Broome & Gil Kane.
    As far as the ring, fearlessness, or to act fearlessly is an expression to describe someone overcoming fear, where you or I would go back, they would still go forward. And it was part of being a GL.
    Fearless and Honest will / overcoming fear never meant you had to be a firefighter, or test pilot, or some extreme soldier, it could manifest in many ways, from going out the front door, to getting over you phobia of heights or spiders. It was the WILL to do so the ring detected.
    And that is key.
    Will power/free will , = the ability to make choices, to override primal instincts like fear, not surrender to them, and make a choice to still go forward.
    That is the power the ring detected, it didn't mater who you were.
    This manifests in anyone, and Broome & Kane classic corps was reflective of that. Abin Sur was a history professor, Tomar-Re was a scientist, Katma Tui was a school teacher, Xax was freakin tiny insect.
    The whole point was the ring ignored any physical outward attributes, and honed in on will power, particularly the will to overcome fear.

For earths champion Broome & Kane chose a test-pilot which at the time were risking lives and ebbing towards space exploration, and was romanticized and the quickest short hand to describe such a person.
    That insecure modern fans are so threatened by this personality type is hysterical.

That same will exists in any being, was the message of the Corps, and the ring could detect and find where it was strongest, and it was channeled by the ring, so that in situations where you and I might turn back, they would still go forward, and still fearlessly fuel the ring with the power of will.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-09-2018 at 07:04 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    LOL "define greatness." did he say that? where are you quoting from, or is that your made up quote?
    This seems a contemporary interpretation, by modern fans threatened by the classic Corps idea created by John Broome & Gil Kane.
    As far as the ring, fearlessness, or to act fearlessly is an expression to describe someone overcoming fear, where you or I would go back, they would still go forward. And it was part of being a GL.
    Fearless and Honest will / overcoming fear never meant you had to be a firefighter, or test pilot, or some extreme soldier, it could manifest in many ways, from going out the front door, to getting over you phobia of heights or spiders. It was the WILL to do so the ring detected.
    And that is key.
    Will power/free will , = the ability to make choices, to override primal instincts like fear, not surrender to them, and make a choice to still go forward.
    That is the power the ring detected, it didn't mater who you were.
    This manifests in anyone, and Broome & Kane classic corps was reflective of that. Abin Sur was a history professor, Tomar-Re was a scientist, Katma Tui was a school teacher, Xax was freakin tiny insect.
    The whole point was the ring ignored any physical outward attributes, and honed in on will power, particularly the will to overcome fear.

For earths champion Broome & Kane chose a test-pilot which at the time were risking lives and ebbing towards space exploration, and was romanticized and the quickest short hand to describe such a person.
    That insecure modern fans are so threatened by this personality type is hysterical.

That same will exists in any being, was the message of the Corps, and the ring could detect and find where it was strongest, and it was channeled by the ring, so that in situations where you and I might turn back, they would still go forward, and still fearlessly fuel the ring with the power of will.
    I did a Google search for "geoff johns" and "overcome fear" and got almost 12K hits. That's his gospel.

He also claims that "will" is an "emotion," which is nonsense.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22g...hrome&ie=UTF-8