Page 174 of 286 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224274 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 4285
    BANNED

I do recommend Chuck's hilarious new graphic novel "Clinton Cash." It's great, no matter what your political affiliation is. He took a very dry, scholarly journal work and made it fun.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    That may be true. But if he actually said that you shouldn't have a story about a person with AIDS because "think of the children!", and that, essentially, "liberals for the rise of the antihero in comic books" (when, as pointed out, Frank Miller's work is some of the best-known examples of antiheroes, and he's no liberal), then the issues with his editors may have gone a little beyond what most people would think of as "they won't give him work because he's a conservative." It sounds a little more complicated. (Not everyone agrees that acting like people with AIDS are a shameful secret is a necessary part of being a conservative, for instance.)

But I don't have a dog in this fight. (And you shouldn't make dogs fight, anyway.)
    It doesn't even say what comic it was that was to have the AIDS storyline. If it was Batman or something then it's definitely for older readers and he shouldn't have had a problem with it. But if it was something that actually did have a lot of kids reading it I kind of see where he was coming from. I agree that AIDS is mature subject matter that a young child shouldn't read about in a comic book.

I was surprised that the 90s kids show Captain Planet had an entire episode about AIDS. Seems like the kind of thing people should be educated about when they're older, like in middle school.

For some reason a lot of people have a problem when a particular group they dislike (Republicans, Democrats etc) like something they do. On CBR in particular, a lot of people seem to have a problem with conservatives reading comics.

The irony being, superheroes may very well be an inherently conservative idea. Superheroes practice a form of 'rugged individualism' and exercise a personal form of justice free from the binding hands of government. The similarities too Westerns, a genre favoured by conservatives and to modern conservative causes such as gun rights is obvious. The Dark Knight is heralded by right-wing groups as a modern conservative masterpiece and Glenn Beck has said The Flash is the only family friendly tv show he watches with his children. The MCU is populated with right-wing themes as well, and Alex Jones is convinced the authors of the MCU are inserting 'truths' into their movies as a means to subvert the NWO. Speaking of the NWO, the plot of Civil War is essentially a recycled right-wing conspiracy from the 90's.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    It doesn't even say what comic it was that was to have the AIDS storyline. If it was Batman or something then it's definitely for older readers and he shouldn't have had a problem with it. But if it was something that actually did have a lot of kids reading it I kind of see where he was coming from. I agree that AIDS is mature subject matter that a young child shouldn't read about in a comic book.

I was surprised that the 90s kids show Captain Planet had an entire episode about AIDS. Seems like the kind of thing people should be educated about when they're older, like in middle school.
    I'm trying to remember how old I was when I read the Hulk story where Jim Wilson died from Aids. I was very young, but was hardly scarred for life. Anyway as the article said "comics aren't for kids anymore" so that's not really a relevant point, especially when you can get similar information from a 20 year old cartoon.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Guys, let's not morph this thread into one more suitable for the Community section. IOW, let's stay on topic.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Legion of Superheroes, Batman Beyond, Justice League 3000 should not be the future or another universe but a unique Earth Zero Realm. Here is how I would have it

Realm 0: Earth
    Realm 1: Legion of Superheroes Galaxy
    Realm 2: Gemworld
    Realm 3: Skartaris
    Realm 4: Earth D
    Realm 5: One Million Million Planet Trigon Empire
    Realm 6: Earth Beyond
    Realm 7: Earth 3000

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Good to hear from you 13.

Agree on everything, i usually do more than not.

Btw i see kon-els Powers being like supermans just fractured.
    Thanks. I like the way you worded his powers. If we're going with the head cannon about Kryptonian powers, it makes sense. It's like he has both the mental and physical aspects of the powers but he has to make a conscious effort to combine them for them to work or match an original Kryptonian. I remember Lobdell earlier on talked about putting himself back together again as the previous premise. Man I'm just so desperate for Kon to come back.

Wonder Woman's costume prevents me from taking her seriously. I was disappointed when the creators of the New 52 took away her pants.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Red Falcon View Post
    Wonder Woman's costume prevents me from taking her seriously. I was disappointed when the creators of the New 52 took away her pants.
    Rebirth WW is still less revealing than most of her other costumes, and readers expect her costume to have a certain amount of resemblance to the classic design anyway. The New 52 fully armored look had no chance of sticking around.

Retired

I guess some people thought the '40s Wonder Woman was sexy. In theory--wearing high-heeled boots, a bustier, bermuda shorts and a tiara should be sexy--but the way she was drawn has never looked sexy to me. In fact, she stands out from all the other comic book women during that time (Black Cat, Miss Fury, Phantom Lady, Rulah, Black Canary, Torchy) as never trying to appeal to the male gaze. I think that's what makes her a feminist ideal--she isn't looking cute for the sake of satisfying male lust. And that's sexy in its own way--I guess--but only on an intellectual level for me. Other people might have a different experience.

Of course, eventually in the late '60s, Diana started to get sexy thanks to Mike Sekowsky (and for a biref period in the late '50s Ross Andru was making her look cute, but he was told to stop it). But once she started wearing the french-cut briefs, it got pretty ridiculous at times. I'd support a return to the H.G. Peter bermuda shorts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I guess some people thought the '40s Wonder Woman was sexy. In theory--wearing high-heeled boots, a bustier, bermuda shorts and a tiara should be sexy--but the way she was drawn has never looked sexy to me. In fact, she stands out from all the other comic book women during that time (Black Cat, Miss Fury, Phantom Lady, Rulah, Black Canary, Torchy) as never trying to appeal to the male gaze. I think that's what makes her a feminist ideal--she isn't looking cute for the sake of satisfying male lust. And that's sexy in its own way--I guess--but only on an intellectual level for me. Other people might have a different experience.

Of course, eventually in the late '60s, Diana started to get sexy thanks to Mike Sekowsky (and for a biref period in the late '50s Ross Andru was making her look cute, but he was told to stop it). But once she started wearing the french-cut briefs, it got pretty ridiculous at times. I'd support a return to the H.G. Peter bermuda shorts.
    The '40s shorts? Yikes, no thanks. I think she's fine as it is anyway. The gladiator skirt will probably last at least the better part of a decade. Until the next drastic WW redesign that will only last a year or less, before reverting to a slightly modified version of the status quo based on the demands of the time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Just don't put Wonder Woman in pants.

they should just keep the battle-skirt thing. the pants always end up looking weird and the swim suit look should have been gone for a while now.

Retired

Something like this would be more on the nose--

Invincible Member

I don't mind WW in pants. I wasn't reading the comic back then but I don't mind that 90's biker shorts look.