Page 47 of 286 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    *WHEW* Believe it or not I just spent the last two days reading through all 46 pages of this post. I think this is the best thread I've ever read, and now have participated in. Anyhow, I have a list of controversial opinions of my own. I apologize because most of these things were already said somewhere in the mix, but I'm new to the thread, so nee ner nee ner nee ner

1. Although I tried in the beginning to like it, I still to this day think the New 52 and everything afterwards is horrible, save for Sinestro's book.

2. Grant Morrison is a horrible writer. Final Crisis and anything he had to do with Batman and Superman are terrible.

3. The current Flash title....for a book featuring the fastest man alive....has gone pretty much nowhere in 40+ issues.

4. Catwoman sucks as a crime boss, and I can hardly wait until the current storyline is over.

5. I shouldn't have to feel like one needs to be a coffee drinking, technology snob to read the current version of Batgirl, but I do feel that way. Not all readers are hipsters.

6. Robobat and depowered Superman can both suck it.

7. I'm really tired of unneeded diversity in comics.

8. Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow run was horrible....actually....most of the Green Arrow run has been horrible.

9. Having Cyborg in the Justice League as a POC was not needed because they already had J'onn as a POC. He needs to be with the Titans.

10. I hate that they cast Will Smith as Deadshot in the Suicide Squad movie.

11. Heath Ledger is way overrated in his performance as The Joker.

12. Although pretty much considered a joke, I would love to see a creative team bring back Wild Dog.

13. The WWII Era JSA is not a tired group or concept in any way, and All-Star Squadron is one of the best books DC has put out EVER!

14. Digital comics are lame.

15. Almost forgot....the classic Superman outfit with the red trunks is timeless, and should never ever be replaced with a stupid armored suit.
    Wow, I think I disagree with absolutely every single point here, or at least going by my first glancing, so I won't even bother trying to reply to it all, but actually outright calling J'onn someone who provides diversity is the stupidest thing there.

All-New Member

I have a few:
    - I don't believe any character's race should ever be changed in the name of diversity. If you want to inject diversity then use who you already have, they just need the proper push, or create new characters.
    - I don't think cyborg should have been moved to the league. He is a titan. They could have and should have used Black Lightning. He was DC's first hero of color and he should get the recognition for it.
    - Captain Atom would be way cooler if they stuck to his charlton origin and appearance instead of trying to make him Dr. Manhattan.
    - Green Lantern and Batman should have been rebooted with the rest of the New 52.
    - The golden age JSA characters should be left on their own earth with their legacy characters and only cross over with prime earth (is that what it's called now?) on special occasions.
    - Superman can beat Batman.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Wow, I think I disagree with absolutely every single point here, or at least going by my first glancing, so I won't even bother trying to reply to it all, but actually outright calling J'onn someone who provides diversity is the stupidest thing there.
    Sorry that you think it's stupid and that you disagree with everything there. Tell me why J'onn doesn't provide diversity? Or any non-white alien for that matter? He's green right?

BANNED

Weeklies and quarterlies don's seem to work, but someone should try publishing a title that comes out every two weeks. That seems to be a better pace than once a month.

BANNED

Sorry that you think it's stupid and that you disagree with everything there. Tell me why J'onn doesn't provide diversity? Or any non-white alien for that matter? He's green right?
    Well, okay, since I have to explain it, generally speaking when people talk about diversity in a superhero team it's so it can reflect the wider audience and not seem like it's pandering to one single demographic.

There aren't any green people either reading Justice League or any who exist as potential readers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Agent View Post
    I have a few:
    - I don't believe any character's race should ever be changed in the name of diversity. If you want to inject diversity then use who you already have, they just need the proper push, or create new characters.
    - I don't think cyborg should have been moved to the league. He is a titan. They could have and should have used Black Lightning. He was DC's first hero of color and he should get the recognition for it.
    - Captain Atom would be way cooler if they stuck to his charlton origin and appearance instead of trying to make him Dr. Manhattan.
    - Green Lantern and Batman should have been rebooted with the rest of the New 52.
    - The golden age JSA characters should be left on their own earth with their legacy characters and only cross over with prime earth (is that what it's called now?) on special occasions.
    - Superman can beat Batman.
    I agree very much with that except for the bit about the JSA.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Aliens are fictional, and there are very real POC's in the audience (or who could potentially become audience members) that would like to be represented. I think if his civilian guise of John Jones was a black man it could work, but characters like John Stewart, Vixen, Element Woman, and Steel should be on the League as well. Relying on J'onn alone is really dubious.

I do agree that Cyborg doesn't feel right without the Titans though, or at least having them in his history. Him being on the League has always seemed really odd and kind of pointless.

All-New Member

I see why someone would want them on prim earth with everyone else but I've always liked the multiple earth's idea and feel they would have more room to shine on their own earth. Also it fits more with the stream lined approach DC has been trying to do for years. Lastly I feel like it's a nice shout out to DC history with the flash of two world's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Agent View Post
    - I don't think cyborg should have been moved to the league. He is a titan. They could have and should have used Black Lightning. He was DC's first hero of color and he should get .
    No he wasn't. He's predated by Mal Duncan and John Stewart. Black Lightning is the first "hero of color" to have a book dedicated specifically to him, but he's not the first one.

All-New Member

I can't argue with that, I don't have the knowledge to confirm or deny, but he is still a better candidate than cyborg. Cyborg is titans generation not a founding league member.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Well, okay, since I have to explain it, generally speaking when people talk about diversity in a superhero team it's so it can reflect the wider audience and not seem like it's pandering to one single demographic.

There aren't any green people either reading Justice League or any who exist as potential readers.
    Understood. Then let me point out that POC is a very incorrect way of putting things. How about POSC? I understand what you're saying, and although you apparently think I'm stupid, this is comics....there are varying colors beyond what we know in the real world. People in the real world have POSC who represent them on teams everywhere these days, so basically it becomes a race/heritage issue thereby taking out the issue being about color alone. Don't make it about just color....make it about what it truly is.
    Last edited by steeplejack2112; 10-27-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Aliens are fictional, and there are very real POC's in the audience (or who could potentially become audience members) that would like to be represented. I think if his civilian guise of John Jones was a black man it could work, but characters like John Stewart, Vixen, Element Woman, and Steel should be on the League as well. Relying on J'onn alone is really dubious.

I do agree that Cyborg doesn't feel right without the Titans though, or at least having them in his history. Him being on the League has always seemed really odd and kind of pointless.
    I don't disagree that J'onn should be the only POC on the team. There are many diverse characters out there. Like I stated previously....POC or POSC....the second one makes a little more sense to me in the fictional world of comics.

BANNED

When people talk about Superman being "Kryptonian," I roll my eyes. To me he looks and acts like a white American.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    When people talk about Superman being "Kryptonian," I roll my eyes. To me he looks and acts like a white American.
    Which is why I preferred Byrne's reboot (Clark is the real person).
    Otherwise, it's like your best friend from childhood discovering he was adopted as an infant, and his birth parents were from Spain, and suddenly starts being a bull fighting aficionado and speaking like a bad Latin stereotype.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    What about your Auntie Grizelda?
    Or Aunt Harriet. When's her first New 52 appearance, Scott Snyder?