Page 6 of 286 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    BANNED

There are other and better ways to get a character off the stage for a while than by fake-killing him.

Star Wars is boring and incredibly overrated.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    -Pfieffer's Teen Titans run is the dullest and least interesting version of that title to date.
    -Grayson is the best thing to happen to Dick Grayson since his time as Batman

-Raven and Beast Boy should have moved on from being involved with TT years ago. It's long overdue.

-The problem with the N52 Teen Titans isn't their lost history but being given to mediocre writers who can't think of anything original to do with them. Until that changes nothing good will come of the book even if they restore that history.

-Restoring Teen Titans history isn't going to magically make the current run any better.
    1. Fans are to blame for the waive of replacement characters because for the most part they don't support new characters(even good well written ones) making replacement characters the only option for creators who want more diversity in comics.
    How is any of that controversial?

Any way-

1) The day the guys in charge realize that John Stewart, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, Jaime Reyes, real Wally West, Milestone & Wildstorm are not THREATS to certain characters at DC -no one will ever be happy.

2) Until the comic book store orders what SALES versus what can pack back issues-we will never know what really sales.
    What good is ordering 100 issues of Batman and only 50 sale at cover price? Because the smart person will just wait till those copies hit the dollar bin and buy them.
    Yeah Omega Men might sale it's 10 copies but isn't that what it is suppose to do? Not pack dollar bins.

3) Comic book sales do not determine a character's success. Not when we have many who seem to do better outside of comics. All sales means is you have more cooks in the kitchen to screw stuff up.

Comic book sales didn't stop Static Shock from being made.
    Nor Antman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Manthing, Blade, 2 Guns, Men in Black, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Gambit movies.
    Comic book sales haven't hurt Dr. Who or all those other non-comic only properties.

4) Cyborg as the main or default POC for DC will not end well. You send a bad message in ignoring everyone else and tossing out a deformed POC. There is nothing wrong with him being the main one but don't ignore JOhn, Vixen and the others.

5) If you have never written a comic book or story in general-you should be given a ongoing series at the jump or be allowed to take over one. A mini or guest gig or arc should be enough to give folks an idea about your skills. And amateur hour should need be done to a book of a POC. This rule should be called the Scott McDaniel rule.

6) If every book you do is badly reviewed and not selling-you shouldn't keep getting ongoing after ongoing. Lets try guest gigs or one hots and review what is wrong.

These threads are fun, because we get to come out and say things that normally would be blasted.

-The New52 took away more than it added.
    Now that we're a few years in, I'm not so sure that the reboot was a good idea. Yes, something needed to be done, but I don't think the New 52 achieved its goals overall. Having "lived" through the first Crisis, I was not worried by the soft-reboot/ whatever it's called - but I am actually buying less DC now (especially in the next few months) than during the pre-New 52.

-Speaking of Crisis, having the Earth 2 heroes and the Earth 1 heroes on the same Earth was a great idea.
    As a kid, the only thing that I wondered about with the multiverse was: why would the Golden Age Heroes be on Earth 2? Having the JSA be the predecessors of the JLA was a great idea to me (even if it meant losing the Trinity in the JSA.)

-Could be part of the above, but I have never liked the idea of Superman as the first hero. I don't know why it bugs me, but everything revolves around him anyway (at least Pre 52). And I say this as someone that like Superman - even to the point of enjoying Elctro-Superman.

-Final Crisis is mediocre, at best. It's several good/ neat ideas haphazardly linked together and if anyone other than Grant Morrison had written it verbatim, it would be reviewed far harsher. It has many story telling flaws that no other writer would be able to get away with, but because Morrison says it's on purpose because it's a deconstruction of story-telling, he's a genius and everyone else is wrong. (Again, I actually really like Morrison, but he gets such passes that I wouldn't be surprised if he has a Frank Miller-esque disconnect ten years from now because no one tells him no.)

-The only time John Constantine has been good in the past twenty years outside of Vertigo was in the Injustice comic.

-I don't know if I subscribe to it completely, but I do really like the fan theory that Parallax and the emotional spectrum didn't exist before Zero Hour and Hal created them to absolve himself when he rebooted things.

I actually have a few more, but I'll stop at that.

Christian Bale was a terrible Batman.
    The Tumbler was a hideous Batmobile. (All Batmobile should be vaguely phallic shaped imo)
    Christopher Nolans Batmovies are overrated.

I have reached Joker saturation point, he needs to dissappear for the next few years.

The story in Arkham Knight was the worst in the series.

I hate the new Starfire book. It made a very strong female character into a bimbo.

Batman is at his most interesting as the 'Godfather' to his family.

The internet and direct sales killed comics
    the internet and direct sales is responsible for it's continuing resuscitation

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I look forward to the day when comics go all-digital, because then their content won't be dictated by people who want to buy so-called "significant" print issues because they "might be worth something someday."
    I agree with this!

Slabbing comics and variant covers are killing the industry.
    If you just want to make covers, sell prints. And frame them.

Sue Dibney's rape, Blue Beetle's death and Max Lord's demonization were all unnecessary and over-glorified.

Identity Crisis is probably one of the most overrated comics of all time, second only to Dark Knight Returns.

My most controversial opinion?

Mark Chiarello, Bruce Timm, Darwyn Cooke, Mark Doyle and Karen Berger should be in charge of DC.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    My most controversial opinion?

Mark Chiarello, Bruce Timm, Darwyn Cooke, Mark Doyle and Karen Berger should be in charge of DC.
    Greg Berlanti should join the team as well.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Fantastic Member

-Reboots are good, but must be accompanied by actual narrative movement in each universe
    -Endless serialized fiction is ultimately untenable and unsatisfying
    -Most monthly books are not worth their current price tags; $3 and $4 books are also self-cannibalizing among the hardcore market and prevent those readers from trying more fringe books from the same company
    -Comics have the worst distribution and price model of any mainstream media, and will never find an expanded audience until it is dealt with
    -The direct market model is bad for comics
    -My main diet of fiction outside comics is literary and experimental, but I'd rather a dumb-fun superhero book over one that takes half measures toward thematic weight
    -Superhero comics should be political, and always have been
    -Changing a character's race or sexual orientation upon reintroduction is fine and a good thing, as the largely straight, white casts are unrealistic artifacts of more open, systematic racism
    -If a woman says something superhero comics are doing is offensive toward women, listen to her and give her the benefit of the doubt (this shouldn't be remotely controversial, but it is)
    -One-offs are good for monthly superhero books and encourage creativity and thematic weight
    -A digital-only or newstand anthology model, plus trades, are going to be essential changes for monthly comics
    -DC's current multi-media output is universally awful outside the kids' animated films and the tolerable Flash. No good show will ever air on the CW.
    -DC's superhero books should aim to be all-ages-accessible unless there's compelling reason to have them be otherwise; this wouldn't prevent smart stories, just the random, unpredictable moments of graphic violence that pop up in otherwise tame books. I'm not arguing for censorship; only savvy audience awareness and tonal consistency.
    -Keith Giffen can do no wrong
    Last edited by Cipher; 09-19-2015 at 04:18 PM.

Power Girl shouldn't be the poster child for bad portrayals of female characters. I understand why people would be offended by her look, but there are worse costumes out there.

Wonder Woman being Zeus's daughter isn't necessarily a bad thing, she's still essentially the same, it would be weird if Azzarello made her a daddy's girl.

They'res never going to be a fourth world movie because too many people would assume dc is ripping off star wars.

I think you should be able to say you don't like something without being automatically labeled a racist or a sexist. I'm not saying that there is no racism or sexism among fandom, cause there's a lot of it, but sometimes, a persons taste doesn't line up.

I like Teen Titans Go and Green Lantern

I think Zatanna and Cyborge should be the same age as and friends of Dick Grayson

Green Arrow should be more political to be different then Batman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    - Defenders of DKSA and ASBAR need to stop playing the "haters just don't get it" card. No, some people get they attempt to deconstruct the DC Universe, they just find the execution to be juvenile and cringeworthy. ASBAR fares slightly better due to Jim Lee's artwork capturing the tongue-in-cheek cynicism of the book
    Neither of them are deconstructions of the DC Universe.