Page 63 of 286 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast

Dan Didio is one of the best things ever to happen to DC Comics.
    Scott Lobdell has been one of my favourite writers at DC since the reboot.

The adults of tomorrow won't be nostalgic for the comics of today.
    Today's comics are mostly a noslstagia trip for yesterday's kids, adding adult themes and situations to the heroes of their youth to "modernize" them.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The adults of tomorrow won't be nostalgic for the comics of today.
    Today's comics are mostly a noslstagia trip for yesterday's kids, adding adult themes and situations to the heroes of their youth to "modernize" them.
    This strikes me less as a controversial opinion and more like an objective observation......
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Keith Giffen and J.M. Demantis are just as good or better than they were 30 years ago. Keith Giffen could write a Suger and Spike comic and I would buy it.
    I have no beef with Vegans

The attitude of "I'll wait for the trade" then complain when book is axed.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    This strikes me less as a controversial opinion and more like an objective observation......
    While it appeals to the pessimist in me, I don't think it's objective or nearly universally true. Anecdotal from whomever they're observing and the comics they're thinking of maybe.

I know the kids in my family and some of the kids (from preteen to university) are like to be nostalgic for One Piece, certain Batman runs, heck my niece who's barely into her teens now got me to finally plunk down for Supreme: The Blue Rose. I liked it, but that comic affected her.

Purely anecdotal on my part, as well, but it does lead me to believe the model is based in, oh, crappy Titans retreads and not comics as a whole. And, even then, Sholly Fisch's Titans comics are probably going to give a wave of nostalgia to some of "my" kids when their older and come across them again.

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Keith Giffen and J.M. Demantis are just as good or better than they were 30 years ago. Keith Giffen could write a Suger and Spike comic and I would buy it.
    DeMatteis is generally underrated. Helluva writer.

Giffen is a mad comics genius who gets better every year that goes by. Just really strong showings outside of Reign in Hell. Beautiful storytelling. His Supergirl Convergence mini looked fantastic and moved gorgeously, with probably the strongest and most innovative story structure of any of them. That thing moved!
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 11-05-2015 at 09:33 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Hobo of Steel is a decent sci-fi movie, but a horrible Superman movie

As a Superman movie, it's irredeemable and noxious.

The DC Cinematic Universe is a failure in the making, built on a dark, depressing, grim foundation that has already worn thin with audiences.

The only Nolan Batman film that's actually a good Batman film is Batman Begins.

The Nolan films are vastly overrated.

Zack Snyder should not be allowed to direct anything outside of MTV videos or Michael Bay's rejected projects.

Dan DiDio and Jim Lee need to move on, as well as Geoff Johns.

DC should actually use Convergence as a means of creating a multiverse of comic book titles, ongoings, minis and one-shots set on different Earths other than just the abysmal Earth-0 and Earth-2.

Frank Miller's best work is way behind him and none of it featured Batman.

The Dark Knight Returns is the most overrated comic book story of all time, with Watchmen a close second.

"Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?" is a vastly overrated "masterpiece" that pales in comparison to Moore's work on Supreme

Mark Waid should be hired to replace Dan DiDio.

The legacy titles (Action, Superman, TEC, Batman) should be restored to their original numbering and never again tampered with.

Tim Burton's first Batman film, though not perfect, was closer to the spirit of the character and his mythology than Nolan's films combined.

The Arkham games written by Paul Dini should be adapted into live action films.

Ben Affleck is no Heath Ledger, who himself was a great actor, but not a great Joker.

Realism is to comic books and comic book adaptations as ketchup is to filet mignon.

Superman's classic uniform is not dated or irrelevant.

The Batman works best as a character when the focus on "dark" and "knight" is roughly equivalent.

You can have too many Bat-characters and titles and way too much Bat-merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    The attitude of "I'll wait for the trade" then complain when book is axed.
    That's only half a sentence - but I'm guessing you disagree with that attitude.

I don't exactly complain when a book is axed though I may be disappointed. I really don't agree with this idea that waiting for the trade hurts books particularly. The publishers (if they have any sense) will be able to make an educated guess on the projected TPB sales for a book based on factors such as the sales of the floppies, sales of any TPBs released so far, the type of book, buzz, etc. All money coming in is good.

Xon-Ur, I disagree with most of yours but...

Quote Originally Posted by Xon-Ur View Post
    "Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?" is a vastly overrated "masterpiece" that pales in comparison to Moore's work on Supreme
    The only page of supreme that came close in quality was "National Flashlight Battery Inspection Day"

Here are the things I want to say but can't because the whole tumblr community would burn me alive for it:

1) Jason Todd is a compelling and interesting character, even as a Robin and doesn't deserve the shit people say about him. He's 10 times better than Damian.

2) Lobdell writes a better Red Hood. There, I said it! Keep Jason way from Grant Morrison!

3) The Red Hood character has been greatly improved by the New 52. Their version of Jason before the reboot was awful except for the Under the Hood arc, after that they completely destroyed his character to give Batman angst and glorify Dick Grayson. And what the hell were they thinking when they turned him into a tentacle monster?

4) I hate Battle for the Cowl.

5) I enjoyed Batman Arkham Knight way more than I enjoyed Batman Arkham City.

6) We are Robin comic is just a way for DC to make Duke Thomas Robin without actually make him a Robin. The book is unnecessary and turned Alfred into an OOC asshole.

7) Tired of having DC trying to shove Harper Row down my throat. I don't mind her, but she takes too much of the spotlight. Batman and Robin Eternal should be about the Robins, not a character that was introduced 3 years ago.

To Marvel:
    - Give the real Thor back his name! And then his hammer too.
    - I hate Loki's female form. Stop turning him into a girl!

Now I feel much better. *Ducks*
    Last edited by kaimaciel; 11-06-2015 at 09:23 AM.

Controversial opinion, huh?

Moral codes against killing are unrealistic and stupid. In Batman Begins, Batman wants to avoid executing a murderer so much that he blows up a building, killing not only that murderer but also dozens of ninjas sworn to fight crime and corruption (even if in clearly problematic ways, which Bruce didn't know about yet). Then in Dark Knight, he just straight up kills Harvey Dent after passing up a boatload of chances to kill the Joker in the name of his "one rule".

In The Incredibles, both Mister Incredible and Elastigirl kill several henchmen casually, as a matter of course, and it didn't bother me in the slightest because neither of them made any indication of a code against killing. Atomic Robo kills his enemies all the time and nobody cares. These characters aren't dark and edgy, they're fun and bright! But of course, if there's a Superman or Batman who kills, like Kal in Man of Steel or Kirk in JL: Gods and Monsters, then it's because he's "not your daddy's" Batman or Superman.

I want Superman, t-shirt, blue jeans and all, to just smack a criminal off a rooftop and kill 'em to save a civilian or something, and nobody says "how could you", "now he's going to go nuts and take over the world, drunk with power" or "you see, the crook wasn't really alive in the first place"- they just say "thank you Superman, you saved my life", and Superman says "are you okay? I can carry you to the hospital if you need me to". Killing isn't inherently bad, and I think that putting such an emphasis on how much the characters aren't allowed to do it just creates a weird navel-gazing fascination with their morality instead of allowing the focus to be on how fun they are!

I mean, don't overdo it. In JL: War, Wonder Woman isn't a diplomat and she isn't particularly compassionate or loving, except perhaps for the love of battle, or ice cream. Keep the character the same. The characters don't need to like, totally abandon their sense of subtlety so that we can laugh at Wonder Woman not understanding that the President is a Big Deal. She's smarter than that. I don't want them turning into violent looney tunes of themselves, just like, not to be afraid to blow up a zeppelin filled with Nazis every now and then. They don't have to focus on it- give Batman and Robin less of a sense of sacred duty and more of a "let's get out there and kick some ass!" vibe.

Also, yeah, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow sucks. Luthor dies off before the story effectively starts, the Toyman and Prankster are derailed like crazy, as is Bizarro, and nobody really cares about the Legion of Super-Villains in the first place. Mxy is dismantled worse than any of them, totally losing the character's fundamental appeal. Jimmy and Lana die in a useless, emotionally manipulative scene that accomplishes nothing, and Superman giving up his powers at the end? That's the totally irresponsible result of a completely stupid moral! Working joes are the real heroes? Great, let's see Jordan Elliot fight Mongul when he gets back from that black hole he got thrown into! There's two truly good things about that whole story- Superman killing the purely malevolent omnipotent thing I'm supposed to believe is Mxyzptlk, (though giving up his powers afterwards puts a real damper on that) and Supergirl and the Legion showing up from the 30th century, which was a truly touching scene.

Comics as a medium has never been "almost destroyed."

A genre or format by become less popular, but comics isn't a genre, format, or the existence of vigilantes in tights.

(And superheroes didn't "save" comics after the Code happened. The Code essentially killed off the genres that were outdoing superheroes by several measures. With the competition crippled, superheroes and humor were genres that could be used to fill the sudden void.)
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Controversial opinion, huh?

Moral codes against killing are unrealistic and stupid. In Batman Begins, Batman wants to avoid executing a murderer so much that he blows up a building, killing not only that murderer but also dozens of ninjas sworn to fight crime and corruption (even if in clearly problematic ways, which Bruce didn't know about yet). Then in Dark Knight, he just straight up kills Harvey Dent after passing up a boatload of chances to kill the Joker in the name of his "one rule".
    Most people who don't want to kill, even if they are in combat situations, don't blow up buildings full of people.

It's blowing up buildings and expecting no casualties that's really unrealistic and stupid.

Not wanting to kill people... is, I would imagine, most of us.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Women superheroes in the Marvelverse are better portrayed than DC's. The same can be said for Marvel's superheroes of color.
    Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 11-06-2015 at 06:47 AM.

BANNED

A proposal was floated for a comedic Green Lantern movie starring Jack Black. People on the message boards got wind of it and shouted it down. I was one of those people. Now though I think we may have been better off with a "doesn't count" Green Lantern movie like that than the one we got.