Page 187 of 286 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197237 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 4285
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    See, this is what I don’t get. When Bruce acts like an ******* and doesn’t get called out on it by the story, it’s fine. But when he does, it means the writer is trying to make a pet character look good? It can’t be that the writers are simply acknowledging that Bruce is a flawed man who isn’t always right? You know, the thing fans claim to like so much about him?
    As I’ve mentioned before, stuff like War Games wasn’t done to make another character look better. In fact, the writers spent a lot of time denigrating Steph. And we’ve all seen how they’ve twisted the story of Death in the Family to make it all Jason’s fault and absolve Bruce of any responsibility.
    You're assuming that Bat-fans like any story where Bruce is an OTT *******, regardless of whether he gets called out on it or not. Either way, we're not enjoying what we're reading. Bruce can be a flawed and fallible human being without manipulating and abusing the children in his care. That's how he was written pre-Crisis for a long time. Or ruining the life of Sasha, who is Rucka's pet character (here she is again over in Wonder Woman), whose entire arc was engineered to have Bruce treat her horribly. Fans can acknowledge that Bruce is a bastard in-story (he totally was), but still dislike Sasha and why the story was built that way in the first place.

Something tells me they’d be singing a different tune if the story had Bruce be completely ineffectual while everyone talked about how lame and useless he was.
    Well we know that that would never happen, because Frank Miller has such a raging hard on for Bat-God that that would never be written. That's precisely what people are making fun of: Frank Miller losing his damn mind. This is the story that begins with Bruce making thinly veiled pedophile comments about Dick Grayson and just escalates from there. This isn't a good story to use to make this point.

This I can understand, what I don’t get is when some will complain about one story where he’s a jerk but praise another where he’s just as bad if not worse.
    War Games, Murderer/Fugitive, parts of NML and the OMAC crap are the worst of the worst, and my experiences with Bat-fandom online is that a lot of people don't care for them. I can't think of any other major stories or other media appearances where he acts much worse and people still praise it. BvS is the exception, but we all know how polarizing that is on the characterization front, and it seems unlikely that Bruce would repeat his mistakes in the finite DCEU as opposed tot he endless publication of the comics.

Well even if you don't think it's that good it does have a profound cultrual impact. It completely changed the way we see superheroes because it allowed them to be more relatable and human. It may not be perfect, but it is a milestone in comics, along with The Dark Knight Returns, paving the way for the darker, grittier modern age of comic books.

Martian Manhunter is a really good character and the fact that he's an outsider shunned by many makes him a very relatable character. However, I do not think he should join the DC Extended Universe because they have touched on that theme of the outsider already with Superman, and focused on it alot in Man of Steel. In the Gritty DCEU version of Superman, Martian Manhunter would be a copy of superman whose only difference from him is that he's green, especially to mainstreme audiences. However, I do love what they are doing with the character on Supergirl, with Season 2 now introducing Miss Martian.

Quote Originally Posted by RickGrimes17 View Post
    Martian Manhunter is a really good character and the fact that he's an outsider shunned by many makes him a very relatable character. However, I do not think he should join the DC Extended Universe because they have touched on that theme of the outsider already with Superman, and focused on it alot in Man of Steel. In the Gritty DCEU version of Superman, Martian Manhunter would be a copy of superman whose only difference from him is that he's green, especially to mainstreme audiences. However, I do love what they are doing with the character on Supergirl, with Season 2 now introducing Miss Martian.
    You can have a similar theme yet still play it differently like the fact that J'onn's true form might be so grotesque to people that he has no one to care for him at all.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The appeal of Barry Allen's character, which has often been mischaracterized as "dull," is that he's abnormally normal (especially his Pre-FLASH REBIRTH incarnation).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The appeal of Barry Allen's character, which has often been mischaracterized as "dull," is that he's abnormally normal (especially his Pre-FLASH REBIRTH incarnation).

I honestly find Barry pretty relateable. More than the characters the internet seems to think I should in comparison, anyway.

BANNED

Thats why he's dull.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Thats why he's dull.
    When seemingly every superhero originates from some variation of "my family is dead," to be the ONE GUY who didn't follow that paradigm was something special.

Sadly, Geoff Johns and the writers of the CW TV show took that away from Barry too.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member

IMO, that was the beauty of the character.

I've never really found down-to-Earth characters dull, but that's me...

Barry kind of feels like (outside the dead mom retcon) he has the life and fame that Hank Pym from Marvel wishes he had if not for his debilitating mental issues and Marvel writers constantly treating like a chew toy.

I think Barry and Hank would actually get along pretty well if they met, now that I think about it.

I'm more or less neutral on Barry.

Bec of the marvel influence, dc probably had to give its heroes more personality including Barry Allen. Dc has made some progress in characterization since the silver age days of the Gardner Fox JLA when any dialogue of any member can easily be reassigned to any member.

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Bec of the marvel influence, dc probably had to give its heroes more personality including Barry Allen. Dc has made some progress in characterization since the silver age days of the Gardner Fox JLA when any dialogue of any member can easily be reassigned to any member.
    What's weird is that Barry gets this held against him more than anybody besides possibly Hal. They were all dull as dirt personality wise compared to what was being done at Marvel at the time, including Batman himself, and yet Barry is the one who can never live it down in certain circles.

i like Barry, its good to have a relatively normal nerd in a team with a couple of alien gods, an amazon princess, someone chosen by the GL corps for having an absurd amount of willpower, the king of the ocean, and a CEO ninja.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    What's weird is that Barry gets this held against him more than anybody besides possibly Hal. They were all dull as dirt personality wise compared to what was being done at Marvel at the time, including Batman himself, and yet Barry is the one who can never live it down in certain circles.
    Probably because he spent most of the time when DC was developing those characters dead.