Page 235 of 286 FirstFirst ... 135185225231232233234235236237238239245285 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 4285
    DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Certain so-called fans seem to have fits over Ben Affleck wearing the cowl and express their rage through personal attacks on the actor.

Not that Affleck is alone in being attacked by manic fans. I've seen shameful remarks and memes directed at Brandon Routh, Gal Gadot, Henry Cavill, Hugh Jackman, Robert Downey Jr., Ryan Reynolds, Chris Evans, Ellen Page, Scarlet Johanson, Jennifer Lawrence, Ezra Miller, Tobey Maguire, Michael Keaton.

I'm sure back in the day, George Reeves, Adam West, Lou Ferigno, Lynda Carter all attracted disgusting comments from fans, too.

I know that comic book readers, in general, are good people--many of them do chartable work inspired by their funny book heroes--but the behavior of a segment of comics fandom is vile and no actor deserves the kind of treatment they receive from these people. It's no wonder that so many actors don't want to take on these roles or walk away from them out of fatigue.
    Was there even a subcultural identity around reading comics back when George Reeves was playing Superman?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Yeah, I'm gonna say false, false, and oh so very false.
    If you mean it didn't have characters you like, most of them weren't invented yet or too recent to have been considered at the time.

The show had some duds, but re characters that were represented were generally consistently better than they are in the comics. Bruce in particular was a thousand times better, as were most of the villains.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Batman animated has some serious nostalgia goggles. Having gone back and watched it 20 years later... it has some serious flaws in there that I don't think Batman fans would put up with if it was aired today.

Most glaring was in Season One's 'Prophecy of Doom' where he's investigating a phony fortune teller stealing from millionaires... His accomplise has a record for non violent tax fraud... and when he sees Batman tracking him on a roof, grabs a random pipe and not only gets the drop on him... but beats the ever-living crap out of him and then escapes in a steam cloud.

If that happened now?? Good heaven. I remember how whiny Bat-fans get with the idea of Hal Jordan (Superhero and frequent fist-fighter) actually landing a punch on Bat-god... but here we have random nobody beating him like he was Jason Todd...

Yet THIS is what is considered the pinnacle of the Batman franchise....
    Nobody said it didnt have bad episodes here and there. Most TV shows do, and God knows the comics have produced some epic shit.

The Joker is an extremely overrated and one dimensional character. He is uninteresting and would be killed in a second against any other hero other than Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Nobody said it didnt have bad episodes here and there. Most TV shows do, and God knows the comics have produced some epic shit.
    Honestly There's A Batman in my Basement is probably the worst episode and its not really all that bad. It's just a very kid centric episode, it is still a kid show after all. There are some weak episodes but I don't think there are any "bad" episodes. I watch the show regularly, the animation and voices are always fantastic and it holds up tremendously.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Honestly There's A Batman in my Basement is probably the worst episode and its not really all that bad. It's just a very kid centric episode, it is still a kid show after all. There are some weak episodes but I don't think there are any "bad" episodes. I watch the show regularly, the animation and voices are always fantastic and it holds up tremendously.
    Agreed. Most classic TV shows have plenty of "Oh God, what were they thinking when they made this?" episodes. The Simpsons, Buffy, the X-Files, Twin Peaks, Xena, numerous others. Doesn't bring down the episodes that made them classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Green Lantern's too weak now. I remember when the ring was one of if not the most powerful weapon in the universe. It could do anything so long as the user had the willpower, knowledge, and imagination to do it. Now it's like all they can do is constructs and if you're not a human or someone like Kilowog you become cannon fodder.
    Fact!

I really REALLY hate the way GL's have turned into Cannon Fodder. When a Green Lantern died it should be a monumental affair. Crisis on Infinite Earths had an epic battle in that killed like 6-10 Lanterns I think... Everything Post-sinestro war... Those rings are flying all over the place searching for new recruits. Really dulls down the franchise to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Naturally there were bad episodes. But that's not what people tend to focus on... it's always how this was the 'perfect' Batman franchise.

Honestly, I loved it at the time too... but it feels a bit dusty to me now. The whole 'crime/mystery/resolution within 22 minutes feels rushed and weak now days. There was never enough Robin in the early episodes. Out of the whole Volume One DVD set, I think there were only three that had Robin... and they were my favorite episodes of the set. (Along with Heart of Ice and Feet of Clay of course). The two parts and the 'movies' they did were able to stretch things out better for pacing... and were really REALLY good.

I didn't care for it as much when they switched art styles and brought in Tim/Jason... I also actively disliked Timm's DCAU when Justice League took off... but the original BTAS was very good. Not perfect, but very very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    A smiley face at the end of a refutation looks passive aggressive and weak.
    And here I thought I only added the smiley face in a good-humored attempt to soften the blow to your ego when you realized I was pointing out how silly you were being . . . but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Naturally there were bad episodes. But that's not what people tend to focus on... it's always how this was the 'perfect' Batman franchise.

Honestly, I loved it at the time too... but it feels a bit dusty to me now. The whole 'crime/mystery/resolution within 22 minutes feels rushed and weak now days. There was never enough Robin in the early episodes. Out of the whole Volume One DVD set, I think there were only three that had Robin... and they were my favorite episodes of the set. (Along with Heart of Ice and Feet of Clay of course). The two parts and the 'movies' they did were able to stretch things out better for pacing... and were really REALLY good.

I didn't care for it as much when they switched art styles and brought in Tim/Jason... I also actively disliked Timm's DCAU when Justice League took off... but the original BTAS was very good. Not perfect, but very very good.
    I think people consider it the pinnacle more because, to date, it's probably the best balance of fun and serious, all the important characters are represented in some way, and the atmosphere and designs are near perfect. Its Batman distilled to his essence aimed at as wide an audience as possible.

The lack of Robin in most episodes didn't bother me. He's a supporting player, not the star. The set up of Dick being in college is my favorite because it provides a solid reason for him not being in every story. Could have used more Batgirl, but even she shouldn't appear as often as Robin.

I too dislike the change in art styles. The oroginsl seasons original season's are still the best. I would still take the later episodes, in content and design, over the majority of Batman products since then, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    And here I thought I only added the smiley face in a good-humored attempt to soften the blow to your ego when you realized I was pointing out how silly you were being . . . but what do I know?
    Be nice.

Sandy Hausler, Moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Any so-called Green Arrow fan who actually watches and enjoys Arrow is spurious in my view.
    This not an unusual view point. I know many die hard fans of Batman who felt the same way about the Adam West Batman and the Joel Schumacher bat films. We all have our opinions. There's no right or wrong judgement on this.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    I stand corrected. My comment was conceited and ill-mannered.

Gonna say it! With all this Green Arrow talk I might as well. He's the only big time character at DC that I kind of find... boring. Keep in my I haven't read the legendary Mike Grell book.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Gonna say it! With all this Green Arrow talk I might as well. He's the only big time character at DC that I kind of find... boring. Keep in my I haven't read the legendary Mike Grell book.
    Hey, I think Flash is the ultimate yawn too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Actually, out of the 5 BIG Silver(Or Golden in Oli's Case) Age characters who got replaced for real (By which I mean for more than just a temporary stunt) by legacies (Oli, Barry, Hal, Kara, Babsgirl), Oli is the only one I don't find boring. Never liked Hal or Kara (Really, really HATE Kara) and while I used to be neutral on Babsgirl and like Barry, what's been done with them in recent years has driven me to hate. Oli's an asshole through and through, but he's got a good heart deep down, an even deeper pot of chili, and he's almost as left-wing as me...Connor Hawke is still a vastly superior character though.