Page 105 of 286 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 4285
    Retired

Hal Jordan and Carol Ferris breaking up is a bad example. I don't think anyone is going to get too upset about this. Hal and Carol have been breaking up and getting back together since 1965. The only reason to complain about it is that it's a tired old idea.

There are a lot of tired old ideas in the DC universe that keep getting recycled. And if you've read the comcs long enough, you start to notice this and get cheesed off when yet another writer tries the same old thing. The fact that the characters keep getting rebooted and retconned means that it has a chance of happening more often--with the characters themselves not remembering that they've been down this road already several times before.

It's only the poor reader who remembers, because he or she has all the comic books to prove it. Sometimes I think DC would like us to burn all our old comics, so we don't remember every time they tried to pass off a moldy oldy as freshly baked.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Who thinks kicking a puppy is funny? Anyone who does should get professional help.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard of someone complaining that Barry died and Wally replaced him
    You can't have been here long then.

The one good thing about Barry Allen being alive again is that Buried Allen has stopped complaining about him being dead.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    You can't have been here long then.

The one good thing about Barry Allen being alive again is that Buried Allen has stopped complaining about him being dead.
    I personally prefer Barry to Wally (not a controversial view -- at least I don't think it is). All of the classic Flash villains were created while Barry was the Flash. I realize that there are some Wally Flash villains, but none of them are as iconic as Captain Cold or the Mirror Master.

Sandy Hausler

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

DC started to fall off when their spinoffs became better than their comics. I remember struggling to read Justice League after Joe Kelly left and wondering why the JL cartoon was better. That didn't use to be the case.

In the long run, Identity Crisis started the whole chain of events that lead to the need for a reboot.

BANNED

Superman's popularity has declined because he's outdated. He's too powerful. You can't make fanboys believe that though because they don't know how hard it is to write such a supremely powerful character.

Superman's popularity has declined because he's outdated. He's too powerful. You can't make fanboys believe that though because they don't know how hard it is to write such a supremely powerful character.
    When did his popularity decline?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    When did his popularity decline?
    His sales are not good by their traditional standards.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...perman/435408/
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-06-2016 at 03:24 PM.

So? This is an opinion of some writer from 3 years ago without any evidence of Superman's overall popularity lowering.

Also this article is completely nonsensical, seriously what did I just read?

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

So? This is an opinion of some writer from 3 years ago without any evidence of Superman's overall popularity lowering.

Also this article is completely nonsensical, seriously what did I just read?
    Posted the wrong link. Look now.

Posted the wrong link. Look now.
    Again this is another writer's opinion on how he views the character and how he thinks he should act. (Seriously another person bashing the "underwear"?)

The comic sales number's doesn't prove anything either, the market has been in a decline for years. Everyone has taken a hit even Batman who is arguably the most popular hero of all time.

BANNED

Again this is another writer's opinion on how he views the character and how he thinks he should act. (Seriously another person bashing the "underwear"?)

The comic sales number's doesn't prove anything either, the market has been in a decline for years. Everyone has taken a hit even Batman who is arguably the most popular hero of all time.
    It's a controversial opinions thread. I'm not obligated to argue about it. But to make it clear, Superman's position WITHIN DC COMICS has slipped. And yes, declining sales in a character 76 years old do prove something.

People claiming that he's "too noble" are missing the point. Darkness doesn't automatically sell any more. That's over. He's just too powerful to write about effectively.

That's a controversial opinion. You're not expected to agree with it.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-06-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Incredible Member

Wonder woman should be bisexual....

It's a controversial opinions thread. I'm not obligated to argue about it. But to make it clear, Superman's position WITHIN DC COMICS has slipped. And yes, declining sales in a character 76 years old do prove something.

People claiming that he's "too noble" are missing the point. Darkness doesn't automatically sell any more. That's over. He's just too powerful to write about effectively.

Yes I know it's your opinion but you can't act like his popularity declining is your opinion when you treat it like it's fact, which it isn't.

BANNED

I'm not sure I agree that Superman is too powerful to be used effectively. The Flash is pretty powerful, writers have even complained that it's difficult to write characters with super speed because they have such an advantage. But no one really complains that the Flash is an outdated, overpowered character.

I have my own issues with modern Superman, but his power level isn't one of them. We just need writers who know how to use his power effectively, in relation to his character.