Page 13 of 286 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    BANNED

You've regretting some very ancient history there, Mr. Plume. And how can you redeem yourself after you commit mass murder? I think you know you can't do that. Sounds like you just wanted Hal to be an insane villain so Kyle wouldn't have the competition. Well, that golden opportunity to promote Kyle at Hal's expense has passed and it won't return. C'est la vie.

GL needs to be rebooted with the four Lanterns treated as equals. Yes, you read that right -- even Kyle shouldn't be special!
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-21-2015 at 07:15 AM.

Amazing Member

opinion:

people complain, but by and large mainstream comic publishers give them exactly what they want. and everyone is going to regret it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    There are people who complain about the fictional cities?

In my experience, yes.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    You've regretting some very ancient history there, Mr. Plume. And how can you redeem yourself after you commit mass murder? I think you know you can't do that. Sounds like you just wanted Hal to be an insane villain so Kyle wouldn't have the competition. Well, that golden opportunity to promote Kyle at Hal's expense has passed and it won't return. C'est la vie.

GL needs to be rebooted with the four Lanterns treated as equals. Yes, you read that right -- even Kyle shouldn't be special!
    Heh, now I remember why I put you on my blocked list before the board reset.

Actually, no I didn't want Hal to be a villian, per se. And it had nothing to do with Kyle. (Don't try to paint me as a Hal vs Kyle person, because I never understood that debate.)
    Yes, he was a mass murderer, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have tried to seek redemption. He made the ULTIMATE bad choice during a breakdown. Heroic PTSD. There were a lot of storytelling opportunities there.
    Plus, with all the Parallax power, they could have come up with something to return the dead GLs back to life eventually. Then, you'd have the Corps trying to bring Hal to justice, while Hal is still trying to do good. Two different perspectives of who the "good guys" actually are. (Since I do need to spell it out, if, say, Hal had found a way to return those he killed to life, you'd have an interesting dynamic: Hal sees himself as righting his wrong, but the GLs want to see him pay for his actions regardless.)

If anything, I figured you of all people would appreciate something different being tried, instead of the weird formula Hal fell into whenever he showed up between Zero Hour and Final Night.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PlumeNoir View Post
    Heh, now I remember why I put you on my blocked list before the board reset.

Actually, no I didn't want Hal to be a villian, per se. And it had nothing to do with Kyle. (Don't try to paint me as a Hal vs Kyle person, because I never understood that debate.)
    Yes, he was a mass murderer, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have tried to seek redemption. He made the ULTIMATE bad choice during a breakdown. Heroic PTSD. There were a lot of storytelling opportunities there.
    Plus, with all the Parallax power, they could have come up with something to return the dead GLs back to life eventually. Then, you'd have the Corps trying to bring Hal to justice, while Hal is still trying to do good. Two different perspectives of who the "good guys" actually are. (Since I do need to spell it out, if, say, Hal had found a way to return those he killed to life, you'd have an interesting dynamic: Hal sees himself as righting his wrong, but the GLs want to see him pay for his actions regardless.)

If anything, I figured you of all people would appreciate something different being tried, instead of the weird formula Hal fell into whenever he showed up between Zero Hour and Final Night.
    No, I want the whole damned thing flushed in a reboot.

You're very welcome to block me again. I won't miss your responses. But before you do, when did Hal take Kyle's ring away? I don't remember that happening. Aren't you just complaining about a grievance that you yourself imagined? I think you are.

*Change is good.
    *Superhero comics aren't any more inherently silly than a standard drama or thriller from any other media.
    *There are certainly good Grant Morrison stories that Geoff Johns could never have written, but there are also good Geoff Johns stories that Grant Morrison could never have written.
    *Superhero comics without even a fraction of a subversive bent are often deeply unpleasant.
    *Scott Snyder's revamp of Joker into an event-level villain is one of the more inspired things to happen to the Batman line in a long while.
    *The main thing Darkseid has going for him is his "Created by Jack Kirby!" tag. Without he'd be on the level of a long forgotten Silver age Wonder Woman villain.
    *The Bat-family concept ballooned out of control many years ago, and any Batman story where they're invoked automatically loses points.
    *Wonder Woman's lack of success in relation to her recognizability is only in part due to general misogyny. Her other main problem is that she's such a mess on a conceptual level.
    *The gospel of the shared movie-verse is effectively keeping good superhero movies from being produced.
    *DC Comics pretty much has it's shit together.
    *With a few notable exceptions, the 90's were a dire time for Batman comics and are remembered way too fondly.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

BANNED

The rest of that I would have let pass, even though I disagreed with some of it, but "change is good" is too silly for me not to take a hard swat at.

The point about Wonder Woman was very good though.

No, I want the whole damned thing flushed in a reboot.

You're very welcome to block me again. I won't miss your responses. But before you do, when did Hal take Kyle's ring away? I don't remember that happening. Aren't you just complaining about a grievance that you yourself imagined? I think you are.
    Nah, because sometimes I actually agree with you. Just not in this case.

Oh, as to the bolded above, I totally imagined it. In fact, in the past couple minutes, I mocked up the cover, edited the wiki, and wrote the following line:
    "Now that nearly everyone has been defeated, it once again falls down to Green Lantern to stop the maniac. They battle each other fiercely, but Hal's experience and power is much greater than Kyle's and creates a giant blast, which knocks Kyle out, allowing Hal to finally take the last Green Lantern Ring in existence, and transforms into his old uniform, but there's someone else there to stop him: Superman. "

at http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Green_Lantern_Vol_3_64
    (Because that is totally not what happened in that issue at all.)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 37 View Post
    YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH! If I was close enough to force choke you, I would!

But seriously.............. don't say that.
    The truth hurts.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Retired

I don't remember anyone praising it.
    You must not have been paying attention. The 21st century has been getting a lot of PR for more than a century. There was no end to the promises of what the 21st century was going to be. Well I've seen it and it's not anything like what was promised. If I had a time machine I'd skip the century completely.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

-DC has mostly ruined Superman & WW
    -I still want the New 52/DC You undone
    -I hate Harley Quinn as a character
    -I really don't enjoy any of DC's animated films, they all pale terribly to the great Mask of the Phantasm
    -Superman & Batman are basically impossible to cast right, Reeve was as close as it will ever get for Superman, Batman still has never been cast well enough....Kevin Conroy, physically, should have gotten the role in 1989
    -I don't care for Red Hood either and Batman should not be flexible with Jason's methods or anyone's methods
    -Batman/Bruce is a better character than all the Batfamily and is DC's best character
    -Vic Sage needs to be the JLU version (Montoya should have never been The Question)
    -basically all the New 52 reboots and changes stink and have utterly ruined most characters
    -I'm a big Morrison, but not a fan of his Action run or his reboot of Superman....DC should have had him write a pre-FP Superman run and they didn't and wasted a great opportunity
    -New 52 Shazam is terrible and he's Captain Marvel, not Shazam, he's not ever Shazam
    -COIE never should have been a reboot, it's a great story, but never should have been a reboot and DC should never reboot
    -Poison Ivy should not have all these powers
    -DC is so Marvel & Image now that Marvel feels like old DC
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-21-2015 at 09:07 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Christopher Reeve was a great Clark Kent but sucked as Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Every character has fans that disagree on how they should be portrayed including Superman and Batman. Doesn't hinder them. And yeah people are going to be extra critical of a WW movie when both DC and Marvel have such a shoddy track record with female superhero films.
    It doesn't hinder them excatly because they are not stand-ins for a sizable part of the population. A failed Green Lantern movie is a failed Green Lartern movie, not a hint about how people feel about white male test pilots everywhere. Sure, some people may resent the fact that a supposed "DC Movieverse" was set back a few years because of it, but, in general, it was just a bad movie.

A bad movie about Wonder Woman, tough, would not be a bad movie about Wonder Woman. It would be some sort gestalt statement about how everyone hates the idea of a empowered woman and is intentionally sabotaging it.

A single remark by Black Widow about how people altered her body and mind to make her into a perfect assassin drew enough ire to push Whedon out of Twitter. Is it such a surprise that almost no one wants to touch an entire movie that would be judged with the same scrutinity?
    Last edited by Patrick_C; 09-21-2015 at 09:26 AM.

i always wonder -- why should Earth have four Green Lanterns. I understand having a substitute in case of emergency, but four?

Sandy Hausler

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    i always wonder -- why should Earth have four Green Lanterns. I understand having a substitute in case of emergency, but four?

Sandy Hausler
    Maybe it shouldn't. But they're all here, they all have fans and they're all capable of carrying a comic. You can't flush them at this point, and turning them into something besides GLs has been tried and failed too many times to be tried again.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-21-2015 at 09:44 AM.