Page 157 of 286 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167207257 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 4285

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I've had a couple of people who aren't DC fans tell me that the constructs are laughable. And I've written about a dozen sample issues of Green Lantern without using them, and they aren't missed. If I hadn't mentioned I wasn't using them, nobody would even have noticed.

If people are laughing at something you're doing and you don't even need it, then you should dump it. That's basic marketing.
    I like the constructs personally but they should be much less literal.

Invincible Member

I've had a couple of people who aren't DC fans tell me that the constructs are laughable. And I've written about a dozen sample issues of Green Lantern without using them, and they aren't missed. If I hadn't mentioned I wasn't using them, nobody would even have noticed.

If people are laughing at something you're doing and you don't even need it, then you should dump it. That's basic marketing.
    That is not basic marketing.

With that logic, because I know people who think that superheroes are silly, DC should stop publishing all their cape comics.

BANNED

The worst thing that can happen to you in business is for people laugh at your products. That's the sound of death.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The worst thing that can happen to you in business is for people laugh at your products. That's the sound of death.
    True, but the question is: how many people are laughing at you? Like ed stated, there are quite a few people who think superheroes are silly, but we all know that hasn't stopped them from being very profitable in the least. Maybe the constructs are considered silly by a majority of people, but I want to see the polling first before i consider it so (as, I'm assuming, was the case regarding the costume changes of recent years). As someone in management, anecdotal evidence is just not enough for me to base a decision on.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I prefer Sinestro's Super Friends costume over the current one... It just looked more evil than the yellow and black.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    True, but the question is: how many people are laughing at you? Like ed stated, there are quite a few people who think superheroes are silly, but we all know that hasn't stopped them from being very profitable in the least. Maybe the constructs are considered silly by a majority of people, but I want to see the polling first before i consider it so (as, I'm assuming, was the case regarding the costume changes of recent years). As someone in management, anecdotal evidence is just not enough for me to base a decision on.
    There have been many successful comics in the past that were able to be funny on one level, while still telling a really exciting story.

In fact, I prefer that. The world is an absurd place and you can either laugh about it or cry. Just because we're laughing doesn't mean we don't also see the truth in these stories. It's really the stiff, ultra-serious comics that are open to ridicule because they don't seem as self-aware as the comics that poke fun at their own foibles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    There have been many successful comics in the past that were able to be funny on one level, while still telling a really exciting story.

In fact, I prefer that. The world is an absurd place and you can either laugh about it or cry. Just because we're laughing doesn't mean we don't also see the truth in these stories. It's really the stiff, ultra-serious comics that are open to ridicule because they don't seem as self-aware as the comics that poke fun at their own foibles.
    Understood, Jim, but I'm talking about derisive ridicule that hurts the bottom line. In those cases (and, as I pointed out before, not solely on anecdotes), then DC would have a problem.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Understood, Jim, but I'm talking about derisive ridicule that hurts the bottom line. In those cases (and, as I pointed out before, not solely on anecdotes), then DC would have a problem.
    The trick is to turn that ridicule to their advantage. As long as people are buying the comics and paying for the movie tickets, it really doesn't matter why they're doing that. Some might just want to jeer instead of cheer--but make sure they pay for the jeering.

It's really just comic book fandom that's so thin-skinned and can't stand to see people mocking their pet heroes. But I doubt most DC executives or DC creators really are so sensitive--they can see that these heroes are quite silly, because they know how the sausage is made.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The trick is to turn that ridicule to their advantage. As long as people are buying the comics and paying for the movie tickets, it really doesn't matter why they're doing that. Some might just want to jeer instead of cheer--but make sure they pay for the jeering.

It's really just comic book fandom that's so thin-skinned and can't stand to see people mocking their pet heroes. But I doubt most DC executives or DC creators really are so sensitive--they can see that these heroes are quite silly, because they know how the sausage is made.
    It's not about being sensitive, though, but making money. If DC management knows a certain move will help bring in much more revenue than the status quo, they will do it. That's just the way it is.

BANNED

I never again want to see the Waynes being murdered or little Kal-El blasting off from Krypton. I already know that those things happened.

King is the greatest writer DC has in their stable right now and this will be his undoing.

I like Damien. A lot.

The multi-color Corps should have ended with John's departure of GL full-stop.

DC is absolutely crazy to not capitalize on the popularity of Static Shock as a character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by silverlantern View Post
    DC is absolutely crazy to not capitalize on the popularity of Static Shock as a character.
    Is he that popular then? I honestly had to google him when they launched his N52 title. I'd never heard of him.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    I prefer Sinestro's Super Friends costume over the current one... It just looked more evil than the yellow and black.
    His old costume reminded me of a court jester. The new one is alright but I wish he would give up the yellow space mantis already. That thing needs to go away.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    Is he that popular then? I honestly had to google him when they launched his N52 title. I'd never heard of him.
    His cartoon had some of the highest ratings in the history of WB Kids which used to show cartoons on network TV. He was also in JLU and YJ.

Aren't missed by whom, exactly? And in what fashion were they illustrated? (If your sample issues weren't illustrated, then you're comparing apples to oranges.)

How many people? How do they overlap with your target demographic? And so on. I know a lot of people who simply laugh at the idea of superheroes - based on your dictum, should DC give superheroes up?

(Even on these boards, there are people who insist that superhero comics are intrinsically and unalterably "cheesy" and "campy," which suggests a certain level of ridiculousness. They just like them that way.)
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/